X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atamajakki
    started a topic Lifespan?

Lifespan?

Has it ever been said how long the Created can expect to live for? I thought they were functionally immortal but can't find a source for that, and then someone else swears they live for an even hundred years but there's at least two canon characters who break that rule, so I'd love to ask the community on this one. Thanks in advance!

• Dataweaver
    replied
    I prefer the original short story.

Leave a comment:

• HelmsDerp
    replied
    The movie Bicentennial Man would be great inspiration for an Unfleshed, and it deals with the trade off between an indefinite mechanical lifespan and a much shorter but truly human existence.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    EDIT: oops; tangled threads.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-23-2017, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
    What about Azoth increases? How often to those happen? Further more, there is an ultimate cap (unless you are losing Azoth dots).
    Searching the pdf a couple of days ago, I couldn't see any way to reduce Azoth (dampen for a bit, yes, but not permanently reduce).

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    What about Azoth increases? How often do those happen? Further more, there is an ultimate cap (unless you are losing Azoth dots).
    Last edited by Vent0; 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Switching Refinements is something Prometheans do on a fairly regular basis; tying the age reset to it would effectively wipe out the 100-year limit.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Something that i could see working would be to tie the lifespan to the role. So that the lifespan ''reset'' when the promethean change roles.
    For me that would create a link between the promethean's lifespan and the will to push forward on its journey.

Although keep in mind that i've read the book only once and never played nor st'ed so i'm not exactly the best to suggest changes to try :P

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    The Extempore immortality comes from the Bestowment that 1e's sample Extempore had, that he couldn't die so long as he was touching the earth. He was specifically supposed to be like the Wandering Jew, forever roaming the Earth in search of death that does not come. I could see other immortality Bestowments that overcome the 100-year lifespan, so long as they promote a suitable story and still have some means of death (because you can't Redeem until you die).

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Why do you think so if the lifespan is unrelated to the physical form?

Leave a comment:

• Your3rdShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Oh, no worries! Sorry, I guess my last post might have sounded passive-aggressive. I just thought it was funny that one page later, we're reiterating the same points in response to the same questions.
    Well if we're repeating ourselves, I still think it's perfectly feasible for the Unfleshed, at least the ones that were robots first, to be immortal.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    I did copy directly from your earlier post. I'm sorry for not quoting you.
    Oh, no worries! Sorry, I guess my last post might have sounded passive-aggressive. I just thought it was funny that one page later, we're reiterating the same points in response to the same questions.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I did copy directly from your earlier post. I'm sorry for not quoting you.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Is there an echo in here?

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Unless it's been changed from 1E
    It has, to this:

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    "Prometheans do not keep the fire burning forever. After about a century in her condition, the fire quenches and she ceases to be if she has yet to attain true mortality. Additionally, this clock resets if she Returns (see p. 169). This could add another theoretical century to her life."
    Ambiguously, an Osirian with Revivication might get the reset every time they come back, and thus be immortal. (Also note that Bestowments can't be learned with experience, or at least aren't listed on the table of experience costs).

An upshot of this is that The Creature may still be walking the Earth, but with only a couple of years left.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X