2E Hack - Many Bestowments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2E Hack - Many Bestowments

So late topic on the Created Lifespan shown that Osirians can be immortal with their Revivification Bestowment. When confronting rules of 2E on Bestowments, I found that in game you only get one Bestowment on the character creation and cannot buy new, contrast to 1E rules. So this topic is for simple and I hope fun hack on 2E Promethean rules - let character buy more Bestowments.

I think we need two things to consider in this matter - One, how many Bestwoments character can have and when? Two, how much should they cost in Experiance?

I think on those rules answers:

At Azoth 2, 4, 6, and 8 you can buy an additional Bestowment for 1 Vitriol Experience each. If you lower your Azoth, you lose the Bestowment in accordance with Sanctity of Merits, and can "buy" another one for free if you raise it again.

Update:
    I changed rules based on advised rulings below. It is one I would stick with and is looslely based on Legacies model from Mage.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-13-2017, 04:12 AM.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
    MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
    MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

A Bestowment for each dot of Azoth is maybe a little too many if you ask me. My first thought is that Legacy Attainments are a good model for dividing up powers like this. Not that Bestowments=Legacies, but it's a useful mechanic. So:

You start with one Bestowment. At Azoth 2, 4, 6, and 8 you can buy an additional one for 1 Vitriol Experience each. If you lower your Azoth, you lose the Bestowment in accordance with Sanctity of Merits, and can "buy" another one for free if you raise it again.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
      You start with one Bestowment. At Azoth 2, 4, 6, and 8 you can buy an additional one for 1 Vitriol Experience each. If you lower your Azoth, you lose the Bestowment in accordance with Sanctity of Merits, and can "buy" another one for free if you raise it again.
      Literally 5 minutes later I thought that maybe 10 Bestowments in general would be too much and maybe go with 1,3,5,7 and 9 for each, but 'Legacy model' sounds better, thanks.

Comment

Toss in the Promethean Boons from 1e's Athanors after Azoth 1, and I'm sold. :-)

Comment

I think this hack is starting in the wrong end. To keep Bestowments being internally consistent with the game you'd need a justification as to why the Created would be able to gain more Bestowments. By RAW Bestowments are extra abilities granted by the body when it is animated by Divine Fire. Unless you change the source of Bestowments I think you'd have to give the Created the possibility to do a major modification to their body before you give them the ability to gain more Bestowments.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
            I think this hack is starting in the wrong end. To keep Bestowments being internally consistent with the game you'd need a justification as to why the Created would be able to gain more Bestowments. By RAW Bestowments are extra abilities granted by the body when it is animated by Divine Fire. Unless you change the source of Bestowments I think you'd have to give the Created the possibility to do a major modification to their body before you give them the ability to gain more Bestowments.
            It's simple - Azoth IS evolution, it's change condensed. With rise of Azoth, it means that evolution/change/mutation rise in your body. By simple rising this force. you 'evolve' a bit more. Think of this as 'evolution bursts' after rising Azoth.

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            Toss in the Promethean Boons from 1e's Athanors after Azoth 1, and I'm sold. :-)
            Really, on idea level, I do not see a problem with that. It's simply question of powerlevel. Are 1E Boons on par with 2E Bestowments?
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-22-2017, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Fair enough.
              If they're bough instead of granted I'd suggest a cost of 4 XP. That seems to be the default for supernatural powers unless they have a reason to be discounted (in-clan for Vampire) or more expensive (exceeding untrained Arcana maximums in Mage).

Comment

Not XP; Vitriol.

Comment

Equal to calcifying an Alembic is a good cost, I think.

But rather than increasing Azoth, how about changing Refinement as the catalyst that lets you buy a new one. As you change your Refinement, you're realigning your internal alchemy, and causing the Fire to express differently in your flesh. Plus it keeps the tie between power and Pilgrimmage the second edition has fostered.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                    But rather than increasing Azoth, how about changing Refinement as the catalyst that lets you buy a new one. As you change your Refinement, you're realigning your internal alchemy, and causing the Fire to express differently in your flesh. Plus it keeps the tie between power and Pilgrimmage the second edition has fostered.
                    I'd would rather avoid this association - Refinements are all about becoming more human-like. Bestowment are about being 'weird, alchemical being'. Also, you can easily go forth and return to previous Refinements - for example, to use previous having Transmutations or locking Role you think you should have - so you will have too many, in my POV, changes for the Bestowments. No, locking them to Legacy Attainments spread in Mage sounds like good structure.

Comment

Consider a variable cost: say, two Vitriol for a Bestowment (or Boon?) from your Lineage; three Vitriol for a Bestowment (or Boon?) from another Lineage.

If it's decided that Boons are clearly more attractive to players than Bestowments, have them cost one Vitriol more; if they're clearly less attractive, have them cost one Vitriol less. But barring a clear bias in interest between Bestowments and Boons, I'd have them cost the same.

Comment

Where were Boons in 1E to check them and compare with Bestowments of 2E?

Comment

In the Athanor appendix. Don't bother with the Redeemed Boons; those weren't designed for Prometheans anyway, and are generally calibrated to not disturb the “regular mortal” status of the Redeemed. Just concentrate on the Promethean Boons. (Also, read “Pyros” whenever they speak of spending Reagent, since Reagent is a resource that doesn't exist in 2e.)

Comment

Working...
                          X