A Matchless built from vampires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Matchless built from vampires?

The Extempore "lineage" is basically there to let you create your own weird stuff. I was musing about a potential Promethean whose parts were taken from vampires. She'd definitely be a Promethean - this isn't about creating a "bootleg" vampire - but I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to theme stuff like her Bestowment around that origin. (obviously, her humour would be blood...)

Magnum Opus has a character like this, a Promethean created by one of the Ordo Dracul. His Bestowment was that he can recover Pyros from human blood in the same way that vamps recover Vitae.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

A more subtle Bestowment might be an affinity for hiding (or lying) -- vampires have the Masquerade practically coded into their vitae.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
      Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

My user name is based on a persona I developed about 20 years ago: Mangle was a creature grafted together from bits of other supernatural creatures; think Adam from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That's right, I had a Promethean character before Promethean was even a thing.

Comment

I'd just use the Osiran Bestowment, to be honest. The whole undead-immortality-thing, after all, is pretty central to vampire.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
            I'd just use the Osiran Bestowment, to be honest. The whole undead-immortality-thing, after all, is pretty central to vampire.
            That's a pretty good idea. Maybe a different one could give a weaker/watered-down version of the vampire's Predatory Aura, like the Promethean is able to call upon the residual nastiness to lash out. I also thought that she'd need to sleep near living blood (that is, it has to be in something that's alive) in order to recover Pyros, and maybe have some slight weakness to sunlight.

Comment

I actually would use a Refinement Furnace. Well, sort of.

For me, one of the strikingly odd things about Promethean is the lack of creative powers in the game. Devotions and merits/rituals/scales for vampires devleoping new paths. Werewolves can make fetishes to alter Gifts slightly. Mages creative thaum. Changeligns have goblin contracts, goblin vows and tokens. Demons have their Keys and Interlocks. Beasts make new Nightmares. Bestowments are the only thing that's presented in Promethean as possibly new, and only then for the Extemporare.

So, I kind of fixed that by using Refinement Furnaces to run new power sets (1-4) without needing an entire new Transmutation set of four, nor an entire new Refinement to put said Transmutations in. So, this way, we could theoretically have a shapeshifting Promethean that doesn't have a turn-into-a-dog-thing power, or pick up the ability to use a Predator's Aura, and so on. Its handy to do things this way.

Either way, you can only have one Bestowment, so take your pick, I guess. Drinking blood, predator's aura, and undying body are all key vampire traits, I think.

Comment

I actually would use a Refinement Furnace. Well, sort of.

For me, one of the strikingly odd things about Promethean is the lack of creative powers in the game. Devotions and merits/rituals/scales for vampires devleoping new paths. Werewolves can make fetishes to alter Gifts slightly. Mages creative thaum. Changeligns have goblin contracts, goblin vows and tokens. Demons have their Keys and Interlocks. Beasts make new Nightmares. Bestowments are the only thing that's presented in Promethean as possibly new, and only then for the Extemporare.

So, I kind of fixed that by using Refinement Furnaces to run new power sets (1-4) without needing an entire new Transmutation set of four, nor an entire new Refinement to put said Transmutations in. So, this way, we could theoretically have a shapeshifting Promethean that doesn't have a turn-into-a-dog-thing power, or pick up the ability to use a Predator's Aura, and so on. Its handy to do things this way.

Either way, you can only have one Bestowment, so take your pick, I guess. Drinking blood, predator's aura, and undying body are all key vampire traits, I think.
                This is why I run with 2E Hack that let Created to have multiple Bestowments, number rise with Azoth, sort of like inner character evolution.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
                MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
                MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Either way, you can only have one Bestowment, so take your pick, I guess.
                  Yeah...I'll admit I'm still bouncing around the rules (I'm still waiting on my hard copy; it's easier to do a deep read of a physical book than a pdf), but I'm assuming that most of a Promethean's "powers" comes from their Alembics? Or Distillments, or whatever. The stuff you get from completing Refinements. Rather than being set up in character creation, like with some of the other splats.

Comment

Yeah, most of their powers come from calcifying individual Transmutation lines instead of from the x-splat. Honestly, we could get rid of the x-splats entirely and make everyone Extemporars, or however you spell that, easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                      Yeah...I'll admit I'm still bouncing around the rules (I'm still waiting on my hard copy; it's easier to do a deep read of a physical book than a pdf), but I'm assuming that most of a Promethean's "powers" comes from their Alembics? Or Distillments, or whatever. The stuff you get from completing Refinements. Rather than being set up in character creation, like with some of the other splats.
                      Yeah, I'm kind of in love with Promethean's 'magic system.' You get your powers right up front, and they're tied to story growth.

Also, just as a personal ST thing, it says that you a negative to creating a Promethean from parts of a Promethean, so I'd probably apply that to parts of Vampires, Werewolves, etc. as well. (I mean, this is assuming the Vampire even leaves viable parts behind, and doesn't just turn to ash.) The book obviously doesn't give specific rules regarding this, but crossover rules generally aren't in the books.

(My fiancee once suggested making an Ulgan out of parts of former Werewolves, which is an awesome concept, but I thought Wolf-Blooded might be easier (or Sleepwalkers, for that matter.)

Comment

The only thing I don't really like about the Lineages in PtC is how most of them are just made out of corpses. I mean, it makes perfect sense for Frankenstein to be that way- that's a strong image, a body sewn together from mismatched parts and animated by a bolt of lightning. And the Unfleshed work by being the antithesis of that, made of human-shaped mechanisms.

But Galateids, Ulgan, Tammuz and Osirians are all also made from dead bodies. Sure, the method of raising them is different, and they get different powers/focuses (which I do like), but physically they all feel too similar to me. I think if I was making a character from them or running a Chronicle, I'd definitely emphasis constructs or other non-"traditional" sources for their bodies. Like, make it so most Muses are made from statues, most Tammuz are golem, etc. They'd still work basically the same, but I feel like it'd make it easer to picture each one as a concept, rather than just "and these corpses are prettier, these are dirtier, etc."

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
                        (My fiancee once suggested making an Ulgan out of parts of former Werewolves, which is an awesome concept, but I thought Wolf-Blooded might be easier (or Sleepwalkers, for that matter.)
                        A Promethean made from pieces of all the minor templets might be interesting. Sleepwalker's head, ghoul's chest, Wolf-Blooded's organs, etc. Maybe their Bestowment could cause them to "resonate" with full splats they spend time with. Hanging around vampires would make them harder to notice but cause sunlight to hurt; being near werewolves increases their strength but runs the risk of losing their temper; that sort of thing.

Comment

The only thing I don't really like about the Lineages in PtC is how most of them are just made out of corpses. I mean, it makes perfect sense for Frankenstein to be that way- that's a strong image, a body sewn together from mismatched parts and animated by a bolt of lightning. And the Unfleshed work by being the antithesis of that, made of human-shaped mechanisms.

But Galateids, Ulgan, Tammuz and Osirians are all also made from dead bodies. Sure, the method of raising them is different, and they get different powers/focuses (which I do like), but physically they all feel too similar to me. I think if I was making a character from them or running a Chronicle, I'd definitely emphasis constructs or other non-"traditional" sources for their bodies. Like, make it so most Muses are made from statues, most Tammuz are golem, etc. They'd still work basically the same, but I feel like it'd make it easer to picture each one as a concept, rather than just "and these corpses are prettier, these are dirtier, etc."

A Promethean made from pieces of all the minor templets might be interesting. Sleepwalker's head, ghoul's chest, Wolf-Blooded's organs, etc. Maybe their Bestowment could cause them to "resonate" with full splats they spend time with. Hanging around vampires would make them harder to notice but cause sunlight to hurt; being near werewolves increases their strength but runs the risk of losing their temper; that sort of thing.
                          I agree with you 100%. That's why I've house ruled it (though it's only half a house rule since there's a side bar that hints at this in 2e) that it's not the parts that create the Lineage, but the intent and the ritual. A Galateid can be made from a statue, if the intent is to create a creature of love and beauty, and it is given the breath of life. A Frankenstein can be made from bits of corpse, a stone arm, a metal heart, etc, and then shocked with lightning. The purpose is to create a perfect being. The original Frankenstein was made from the brain of a genius, the body of an athlete, etc. Why wouldn't the modern modern Prometheus create a cyborg, if metal parts were more efficient?

The Unfleshed, likewise, are created to be servants. They are created to serve a purpose. Their name kind of hints that they have to be made from something other than flesh, which I'd probably chalk up to being one of the mysteries of the Azoth, but for the most part it's more about servitude than it is about being a construct.

That's my take. It's half canon, half not.

Comment

The only thing I don't really like about the Lineages in PtC is how most of them are just made out of corpses.
                            Promethean, as a whole, is basically just the Frankenstein game. Even though we have golems and marble statues and wickermen, everyone was made up of dead bodies, everyone drew power from lightning, everyone thought fire bad. Everyone had family problems and abandonment issues that came from Shelly.

But Galateids, Ulgan, Tammuz and Osirians are all also made from dead bodies.
                            To be fair, the Osirians are basically Resurrection Man Who Came Back Wrong. So, for them? Corpses make more sense than not.
                            Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
                            The Unfleshed, likewise, are created to be servants.
                            Point of interest - originally, the Tammuz were made to be servants. Unfleshed basically stole the entire 1e Tammuz stick, including being made from non-flesh (golem parts!).

Comment

Point of interest - originally, the Tammuz were made to be servants. Unfleshed basically stole the entire 1e Tammuz stick, including being made from non-flesh (golem parts!).
                              I mean...yeaaaah. I am not a big fan of the Unfleshed for this exact reason. I extensively played the heck out of 1e and when I saw that the Golem of Prague in 2e was Unfleshed because...because the Tammuz can't really be made from clay I GUESS (???) I thought it was really weird.

I'm not really sure what the point of the Tammuz Are now. Fortunately I haven't had anyone play one in 2e yet (or an Unfleshed for that matter) so it's a question I haven't had to answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X