No announcement yet.

When the Horsemen Road (30 Years War Dark Era) Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of full story ideas I will not probably run, I would rather read how Lineages reflects Four Housemen ideas or how Qashmallim embodies them and plan Apocalypse - or something like that. Chronicles and setting seeds. And was surprised that with the symbol theme like that, there were no chosen Geist crossover for this.

As now as it is, When the Horsemen Road is biggest in my 'things I would like to like and read, but I can't' as it is not really proper Dark Era, only one chronicle in one.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies and System Hacks Hubs
    WtF 2E - My Lodges and System Hacks Hubs
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      To be frank, I'm dissapointed how When the Horsemen Road is written - I really do not like that 20 pages of 25 are for the 4 stories ideas and almost non on historical and cultural background of period - practicly, whole Era is particular chronicle hiding as historical setting.🙁 I would understood 1 or 2 stories, but almost all Era page count on those? 😕 As I do not read story seeds before running game to not spoil plot twists for myself ( if some other ST would run it for me, someday ), so I almost have non to read in text there.
      I can't speak to the idea to structure it as four scenarios as that was the decision of the developer, rather than I, but I will say that I chose four locations and periods that I felt helped to illustrate the realities of the Thirty Years War and how they relate to and can be used to reinforce the themes of Promethean. As a game that is all about a personal, philosophical journey among a tiny population of disparate creatures, there isn't really a place for the world-building you can do adapting Vampire, Werewolf, or Mage for a historical era. What you can do, is show how to use the realities of the period to tell personal stories, which is what I tried to do. The history is a backdrop, the importance is the characters. Even if you don't use the scenarios as written, I'd hope to have provided inspiration as to how to run Promethean games set in this period.

As to Pneuma - does not Aurum general Roles cannot be simply refocus Leaders or Companions for being religious profession and STILL be on Aurum proper? Just like you could repurpose those for generals and solidiers in Aurum, don't it?
      Sure, but then you wouldn't be on Pneuma. What makes Pneuma a separate Refinement is its philosophy, which is a radical departure from any other Refinement (and ultimately, a self-defeating one). As an explicit rejection of the alchemical approach for one based entirely on religious faith, it represents more than just a person of religious faith following Aurum. Granted, more mechanics could have been used to reinforce the difference, but limitations of word count and the complexity of adding entirely new Roles, given how they are used in 2nd edition, made that impossible.

Eric Christian Berg
      Onyx Path Freelancer
      Promethean: The Created Second Edition, Dark Eras Companion

Comment

Originally posted by eberg View Post
        I can't speak to the idea to structure it as four scenarios as that was the decision of the developer, rather than I, but I will say that I chose four locations and periods that I felt helped to illustrate the realities of the Thirty Years War and how they relate to and can be used to reinforce the themes of Promethean.
        Actually, I am curious if the scenario layout was requested by the backer who paid to add this setting, since it deviates so much from how other chapters are structured.

Eric Christian Berg
        Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

EDIT: Put behind a spoiler for those who haven't read/written the chapter

I, for one, liked the story structure, because it was a massive series of chain reactions that ultimately leads to the Throng 1) Redeeming a Centimanus 2) Purging a Wasteland and undoing a Jovian Athanor 3) Protecting a cathedral full of refugees and a Vitriol Fount from armies and an alchemist, respectively 4) Defeating a powerful and cunning Sublimatus and saving a child and 5) Helping Maria Agnes to the New Dawn. It feels... I'm not sure what, precisely, but it fits the 'In Mysterious Ways' approach of the Principle, using reactions and counter-reactions of Divine Fire to alter events subtly or not so subtly. It feels like there was a purpose to the PCs going through all that, both to help themselves and to help others.

Also, for everyone who had issues with the portrayal of Alchemists in the corebook, no love for Jakob Hofmann, the sympathetic Alchemist who leads a relatively benign Alchemist's Guild charged with creating gold for the war effort who can't bring himself to kill a particularly terrifying Sublimatus because it happens to have been made from the corpse of his dead boyfriend in an effort to make a Galateid?
          Last edited by Arcanist; 04-03-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Arcanist - And all I saw i your post is one big SPOILER I will not read from the reasons put forth by me in posts above. As 'scenario non reader' I got to read only 5 pages of When the Horsemen Road.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies and System Hacks Hubs
            WtF 2E - My Lodges and System Hacks Hubs
            WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Edited for a spoiler block for future thread readers.

Comment

Interesting historical note on Jakob, he is based on stuff I read in excerpts of a 19th century text on alchemy in coinage. Hofmann himself came from:
                "XII. (1647). — In the same year an adept named J. P. Hofmann performed a transmutation in the presence of the Emperor Ferdinand III, in Nuremberg. From this hermetic gold the Emperor caused a medal of rare beauty to be struck."

And then the form of the sublimatus was inspired by:
                "IX. (1632.) — A double ducat of Gustavus Adolphus of the date 1632 is also claimed by the votaries of Hermes. This gold coin has on the obverse a human skull resting on a bone ; out of the skull issue serpents, together with a grape-vine, on the branches of which hang many cluster of grapes."

Eric Christian Berg
                Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by eberg View Post
                  Actually, I am curious if the scenario layout was requested by the backer who paid to add this setting, since it deviates so much from how other chapters are structured.

It was not; that was the developer's call.

Matthew McFarland
                  Writer, developer, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X