Syntheses: Expanded powers of Transmutation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syntheses: Expanded powers of Transmutation

So, this is more the skeleton of an idea about expanding Promethean's powers. As the current mechanics stand, powers (Distillations) are grouped into Alembics in blocks of 4, which are part of Refinements (also in blocks of 4).

To add new powers means 1) swapping out existing Distillations 2) adding an entire set of 4 Distillations to make an Alembic, then swapping out that Alembic 3) creating a set of 4 Alembics and 3 Roles to make a new Refinement.

That's a lot of work if you just want one new power. There is always the Pandoran/Dread Powers route, but that has its own implications.

So, what about doing something similar to Vampire's Devotions - a one-off power derived from a combination of two or more existing powers. This would give homebrewers and Storytellers a bit more flexibility in power creation.

So... thoughts?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

As things stand, acquiring an Alembic provides full access to all four of its powers, with the only limiting factor being how much Pyros you want to pour into it. That's where I'd start: let a Promethean spend Vitriol to “branch out", acquiring an alternative to one of his Distillations. Rephrase the Pyros costs as levels: you must fuel at least one low-level Distillation before you can fuel any mid-level Distillations, and you must fuel at least one mid-level Distillation before you can fuel a high-level Distillation. Each Distillation costs one Pyros to activate. When you're using a standard Alembic, this works the same way: one Pyros activates the low-level Distillation, a second Pyros activates the mid-level one, and a third activates the high-level one. When you have more than one Distillation of a given level, choose one to activate; if you want to activate more than one, spend more than one Pyros on that level.

I'd first require the Promethean to calcify the Alembic: without it being fixated into the Promethean's body, it's too mercurial to establish any sort of structure. Once it's calcified, it costs one Vitriol to develop an alternate low-level Distillation, two Vitriol for an alternate mid-level Distillation, and three Vitriol for an alternate high-level Distillation.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      So... thoughts?
      A few, actually. Promethean, as a whole, really lacks any sort of flexibility to it. There's nothing remotely resembling "ritual" magic, magic items are very limited (athanors, azothic object), and so on.

Upon reflection, I feel like the best way to do this would be though modifying either a Refunement Furnace athanor, or tweaking Azotic Object rules by enhancing them with Crafting rules. Potentially disposable elixer-type things as well. Promethean is a game about alchemy and creation. It makes sense that they'd be all into the crafting physical things.

To make flexible abilites, we can just tweak Refinement Furnace into an Amblic Mixer.
      The Amblic Mixer introduces new abilities into a calcified or refinement-granted Amblic. By introducing new elements into the alchemical process, it alters the final result with the new elements into a new direction. As long as the Promethean carries the Athanor with her, she can use the altered abilities at will. Only abilities that you spend pyros on can be altered, as the athanor and amblic need the transforative energy to kickstart the mixing process.
      Potential Drawback? The new ability must be used as long as the athanor is touching the athanor.

Now, on to Athotic objects. The AO boost dice bonuses and all that, but what about the underlying equipment? An occult roll when using the crafting rules in the CofD core book lets you make occult objects with limited abilities. Add on some Azoth, and... Well, that's all she wrote. I feel like this could potentially make the same kind of elixers and potions that alchemists make for their Deviant-ish changes.

Comment

I actually had some ideas regarding Divine Fire-based Genii related to that. Mostly using Vitriol or Willpower dots to create objects with reusable (or even "constant") Distillations. Fills the basic "magic item" slot, and with freeform tinkering (like what Werewolf 2E Fetishes can do) you can even create "new" Transmutations off of variants of existing ones.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
          Upon reflection, I feel like the best way to do this would be though modifying either a Refunement Furnace athanor, or tweaking Azotic Object rules by enhancing them with Crafting rules. Potentially disposable elixer-type things as well. Promethean is a game about alchemy and creation. It makes sense that they'd be all into the crafting physical things.
          What about terming such things something like Catalyst Athanors? An item/Athanor that reacts with and alters and existing Distillation (even to the point of being a new ability)?

Comment

Sure. I'm not particular attached to the name or anything, and that's kind of the utility I aim for.

Comment

I really like the idea of "Devotions" or "Syntheses" for Prometheans. A journey that is intensely personal and is wrapped in Alchemical symbology ought to have some room in it for experimentation and unique discovery. Were I to handle it in the most tacked on way possible I'd go with requiring that the "parent" Transmutations be calcified and then designing a unique power in its own separate "Synthesis" category that can be purchased with Vitriol. I may go back and look at Demon's approach to a similar concept for more inspiration.

Comment

Working...
              X