Night Horrors: The Tormented

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
    These are like a much better version of the Homunculi I was writing up a while back. I love how they can self-propagate. And also, they remind me of the Hollow from Dark Souls (and reinforces my idea that Dark Souls is a spectacular influence for Promethean chronicles).
    I wouldn't say “much better”. It's a different take on a similar concept, but your Homunculi still have something going for them that at the very least could be mined for ideas to enrich the Petrificati.

Two things I'd steal: first, there might be more than one way to create a Petrificatus: NH:tT describes them in terms of staying in a Role well beyond its expiration date; but I think the same rules could be used for an alternate fail condition for the generative act: instead of creating Pandorans, you might get a “stillborn” Promethean, a.k.a. a Petrificatus. In this version, there's either no Role, or you pick a Role based on why the generative act was being performed: what role did the creator have in mind for his creation?

Second, I like the idea of being able to perform an abbreviated version of the generative act on a Petrificatus as a way of “reigniting the spark”, as it were, and turning the Automaton into a full-fledged Promethean. That said, unless the newly-revived Promethean immediately chooses to switch Roles and pick up the Pilgrimage again, he's bound to slide right back into Petrificatus status, wasting the effort or into bringing him back.

But back to the write-up: so what happens when a Promethean runs out of Pilgrimage before he runs out of Azoth, or vice versa? Prometheans frequently don't have the same amount of both. My houserule would be that you can only lose your last point of each when you lose them together: if you have, say, more Azoth than Pilgrimage, then your Pilgrimage will stall out at one until your Azoth reaches one, after which both drop to zero.

Also, this business of Azoth and Pilgrimage dropping together strikes me as being somewhat similar to 1e's concept of Going to the Wastes: by deliberately (but temporarily) overstaying your time in a Role, you can lower an Azoth score that has gotten uncomfortably high — though it's a very dangerous and harmful way to do it, as it also lowers your Pilgrimage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
      There are things yet to be revealed.
      Ah...

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Dear me, the petrificati are just... sad. (Their existence, not the writing’s quality!)
      Possibly the saddest thing I've seen in the ChroD to date.

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Two things I'd steal: first, there might be more than one way to create a Petrificatus: NH:tT describes them in terms of staying in a Role well beyond its expiration date; but I think the same rules could be used for an alternate fail condition for the generative act: instead of creating Pandorans, you might get a “stillborn” Promethean, a.k.a. a Petrificatus.
      Maybe also a catastrophic failure in the New Dawn. Your Azoth blazes out into the world to create a life (whose surrounding people are now wondering where "you" are), but leaves you behind as an empty echo of the last Role in your Pilgrimmage.
      Last edited by SunlessNick; 07-11-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• So: would an Unfleshed or Extempore Petrificatus also try to perform the generative act? The former don't use corpses; and the latter, well, they weren't created by a generative act and may not be able to reproduce at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by mistress of whispers View Post
          Indeed, Prometheans call clones "the half-formed" and that's really quite a good nomer.
          Do clones have Lineages like Prometheans? In particular, are there Unfleshed “clones”?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            I wouldn't say “much better”. It's a different take on a similar concept, but your Homunculi still have something going for them that at the very least could be mined for ideas to enrich the Petrificati.

Two things I'd steal: first, there might be more than one way to create a Petrificatus: NH:tT describes them in terms of staying in a Role well beyond its expiration date; but I think the same rules could be used for an alternate fail condition for the generative act: instead of creating Pandorans, you might get a “stillborn” Promethean, a.k.a. a Petrificatus. In this version, there's either no Role, or you pick a Role based on why the generative act was being performed: what role did the creator have in mind for his creation?

Second, I like the idea of being able to perform an abbreviated version of the generative act on a Petrificatus as a way of “reigniting the spark”, as it were, and turning the Automaton into a full-fledged Promethean. That said, unless the newly-revived Promethean immediately chooses to switch Roles and pick up the Pilgrimage again, he's bound to slide right back into Petrificatus status, wasting the effort or into bringing him back.
            You make a really good point. Definitely stuff to mine. I could definitely see it as an alternative Failure result for the generative act, keeping Pandorans as a result of a Dramatic Failure. Leaves you the option of an Alchemist making themselves a (potentially self-perpetuating) battery of servants that produce Vitriol for them, provided they have access to a fairly steady supply of bodies or other appropriate building materials.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

• So many questions! I'm glad you enjoyed the preview.

I'm currently wrapping up a deadline and then I'm off to enjoy the weekend, but I'll reply to all comments and questions come Monday. (Sooner if I can swing it, but my weekend is shaping up to be pretty full with leisure time.) Thank you all for being so engaged ^_^.

Freelance Author and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

• Question time

Good catch on the number of Pandorans on Failure vs Dramatic Failure. Dramatic Failure should read Create one additional Pandoran for each die in the unmodified dice pool. We'll fix that when it comes back from lay-out.

1)What can tell us about Irradiation?

Transmutations are tied to Refinement, and Zeky follow the the same Refinement as other Prometheans. So what happens now, is that the Zeky's radiation warps and changes existing Alembics. We give a bunch of examples on those, but groups can irradiate any existing Alembic for their game.

2)Does Tsar Bomb or maybe Skin Girl return?

The Tsar is teased as eastern egg, but neither makes a full return.

3)Does any of their 1e bestowements return?

We only had room for one, so we dropped the 1E Bestowments for one that makes universal sense for all Zeky to have.

​Can Promeathans harvest the Vitriol Experience from these beings?

That raises all sorts of moral questions (also, is that like eating a corpse for humans) and moral questions are cool.

So what happens when a Promethean runs out of Pilgrimage before he runs out of Azoth, or vice versa?

Tbh I'd discuss that with the player. If it's clear they won't be able to come back, you might as well cut it short then. If they want another last chance, let them try until both run down--which means if they're uneven they have another week or so (Though at Pilgrimage or Azoth 0, their options are probably limited.)

Would an Unfleshed or Extempore Petrificatus also try to perform the generative act?

They would. The Unfleshed stacks a bunch of items in a vaguely humanoid shape, which might be harmless until it decides the new 'child' needs blood to oil its hinges. The Extempore would try to replicate the act of their own creation (ie setting people on fire).

Do clones have Lineages like Prometheans? In particular, are there Unfleshed “clones”?

You need a piece of Promethean to create a Clone. Have to wait and see if that makes a Lineage.

As for Unfleshed Clones, that's a really interesting question. I'd say yes, depending on the Unfleshed. Harvested nanites could be used to fast-grow an embryo, or part of the Unfleshed's body could serve as a clone vat. The embryo would take on Unfleshed traits as it matures, going from human to Borg to full on Unfleshed. Weird, but interesting.

Comment

• For MMN:

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    For MMN:

snip
                    That's Daisy. She's had it rough.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                    Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

• A centimani with a child's body I'm geussing

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                        A centimani with a child's body I'm geussing
                        I won’t confirm or deny till Steffie gives the okay. Daisy’s probably my favourite thing I did for the book, so I’m excited for you all to meet her...

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

• Well I'm excited to meet her too then

Comment

• Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

I won’t confirm or deny till Steffie gives the okay. Daisy’s probably my favourite thing I did for the book, so I’m excited for you all to meet her...

Daisy is SO amazing. And I guess you can reveal her Lineage

Comment

• Originally posted by mistress of whispers View Post

Daisy is SO amazing. And I guess you can reveal her Lineage

Alright, since the NDA ninjas have been called off (for now): Daisy is a sublimatus. A very, very sad sublimatus. You might ALMOST feel bad for her...
                              Last edited by Yossarian; 08-15-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Damn I was way off. Nonetheless, Daisy definitely going to be tragic

Comment

Working...
                                X