Night Horrors: The Tormented

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
    These are like a much better version of the Homunculi I was writing up a while back. I love how they can self-propagate. And also, they remind me of the Hollow from Dark Souls (and reinforces my idea that Dark Souls is a spectacular influence for Promethean chronicles).
    I wouldn't say “much better”. It's a different take on a similar concept, but your Homunculi still have something going for them that at the very least could be mined for ideas to enrich the Petrificati.

Two things I'd steal: first, there might be more than one way to create a Petrificatus: NH:tT describes them in terms of staying in a Role well beyond its expiration date; but I think the same rules could be used for an alternate fail condition for the generative act: instead of creating Pandorans, you might get a “stillborn” Promethean, a.k.a. a Petrificatus. In this version, there's either no Role, or you pick a Role based on why the generative act was being performed: what role did the creator have in mind for his creation?

Second, I like the idea of being able to perform an abbreviated version of the generative act on a Petrificatus as a way of “reigniting the spark”, as it were, and turning the Automaton into a full-fledged Promethean. That said, unless the newly-revived Promethean immediately chooses to switch Roles and pick up the Pilgrimage again, he's bound to slide right back into Petrificatus status, wasting the effort or into bringing him back.

But back to the write-up: so what happens when a Promethean runs out of Pilgrimage before he runs out of Azoth, or vice versa? Prometheans frequently don't have the same amount of both. My houserule would be that you can only lose your last point of each when you lose them together: if you have, say, more Azoth than Pilgrimage, then your Pilgrimage will stall out at one until your Azoth reaches one, after which both drop to zero.

Also, this business of Azoth and Pilgrimage dropping together strikes me as being somewhat similar to 1e's concept of Going to the Wastes: by deliberately (but temporarily) overstaying your time in a Role, you can lower an Azoth score that has gotten uncomfortably high — though it's a very dangerous and harmful way to do it, as it also lowers your Pilgrimage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
      There are things yet to be revealed.
      Ah...

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Dear me, the petrificati are just... sad. (Their existence, not the writing’s quality!)
      Possibly the saddest thing I've seen in the ChroD to date.

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Two things I'd steal: first, there might be more than one way to create a Petrificatus: NH:tT describes them in terms of staying in a Role well beyond its expiration date; but I think the same rules could be used for an alternate fail condition for the generative act: instead of creating Pandorans, you might get a “stillborn” Promethean, a.k.a. a Petrificatus.
      Maybe also a catastrophic failure in the New Dawn. Your Azoth blazes out into the world to create a life (whose surrounding people are now wondering where "you" are), but leaves you behind as an empty echo of the last Role in your Pilgrimmage.
      Last edited by SunlessNick; 07-11-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• So: would an Unfleshed or Extempore Petrificatus also try to perform the generative act? The former don't use corpses; and the latter, well, they weren't created by a generative act and may not be able to reproduce at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by mistress of whispers View Post
          Indeed, Prometheans call clones "the half-formed" and that's really quite a good nomer.
          Do clones have Lineages like Prometheans? In particular, are there Unfleshed “clones”?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            I wouldn't say “much better”. It's a different take on a similar concept, but your Homunculi still have something going for them that at the very least could be mined for ideas to enrich the Petrificati.

Two things I'd steal: first, there might be more than one way to create a Petrificatus: NH:tT describes them in terms of staying in a Role well beyond its expiration date; but I think the same rules could be used for an alternate fail condition for the generative act: instead of creating Pandorans, you might get a “stillborn” Promethean, a.k.a. a Petrificatus. In this version, there's either no Role, or you pick a Role based on why the generative act was being performed: what role did the creator have in mind for his creation?

Second, I like the idea of being able to perform an abbreviated version of the generative act on a Petrificatus as a way of “reigniting the spark”, as it were, and turning the Automaton into a full-fledged Promethean. That said, unless the newly-revived Promethean immediately chooses to switch Roles and pick up the Pilgrimage again, he's bound to slide right back into Petrificatus status, wasting the effort or into bringing him back.
            You make a really good point. Definitely stuff to mine. I could definitely see it as an alternative Failure result for the generative act, keeping Pandorans as a result of a Dramatic Failure. Leaves you the option of an Alchemist making themselves a (potentially self-perpetuating) battery of servants that produce Vitriol for them, provided they have access to a fairly steady supply of bodies or other appropriate building materials.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

• So many questions! I'm glad you enjoyed the preview.

I'm currently wrapping up a deadline and then I'm off to enjoy the weekend, but I'll reply to all comments and questions come Monday. (Sooner if I can swing it, but my weekend is shaping up to be pretty full with leisure time.) Thank you all for being so engaged ^_^.

Freelance Author and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Working...
              X