Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me, or is the New Dawn pretty easy to achieve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me, or is the New Dawn pretty easy to achieve?

So my group just got second edition, and I decided to make good use of it in our newest campaign. Within 4 game sessions I'd achieved the New Dawn.

I read the book fairly quickly, since we got it right before the campaign started, but I think I had the rules right. I mastered all 3 roles in 8 different Refinements, nailed all the universal milestones (including making another Promethean out of a hunter that tried to take my group down) and boom, I was human.

I'll admit, it was a bit of an unorthodox campaign setup. The other characters in my group were a Sin-Eater and a Beast, and we were meandering around Arcadia meeting all sorts of critters and having bizarre experiences which probably helped me hit some milestones that might be harder to complete in other circumstances.

I'm not unhappy with the game. As with any rpg or boardgame it wasn't perfect, but there were a lot of fun things involved with it, and I had a blast. So, just to be clear, I'm not calling this out as a problem.

I'm more curious...has anyone else had this kind of quick race to the endgame experience?

This seems... incredibly uncommon, to say the least.

Could you elaborate on the roles you did, how you achieved the Milestones, and how you learned those Paths? Since some are restricted access.

Comment

While I haven't got the chance to actually play a Promethean game, having only read the 2e book, by the looks of it it seems you had a pretty lenient Storyteller. It's not a bad thing, since you said you had a good time, but it is indeed unorthodox.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

That is... how long where game sessions? How many times did you elpis glimpse?

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
          This seems... incredibly uncommon, to say the least.

Could you elaborate on the roles you did, how you achieved the Milestones, and how you learned those Paths? Since some are restricted access.
          How long did it take your group to reach the New Dawn?

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

How long did it take your group to reach the New Dawn?
            In the games I played? None so far. Heck, 2 roles per session would have been a lot and uncommon, but just going by the maths, he did about 6 roles per session, which is immense!
            + hit all the roles and paths he had to without fail, which is different from my experience. Elpis is not alway clear, sometimes you stumble, sometimes you fail, have setbacks etc.
            But those moments are part of what makes the game so intriguing to me.

Not saying they did it wrong, obviously they enjoyed it so hey, more power to them. Just very surprised and curious.

Comment

Yeah, that's bananas. It sounds like a fun campaign but that's not at all how it usually goes. What kind of stuff did you do to fulfill your Roles?

2E Legacy Updates
              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
              Storm Keepers

Comment

Was your character in a Role per scene? Holy hell.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Maybe your st rushed you through, so you can become a mage ir draculer or changeling.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

How the heck did you manage to complete six Roles per session? In my (admittedly limited) experience, it takes closer to six sessions per Role.

Comment

That does sound pretty exceptional. After 19 sessions my Promethean group has completed three roles across the three of them.

Comment

I don't think I've felt a sense of wonder like this in a while. Please tell us the story of how this happened.
                        Last edited by Leetsepeak; 09-19-2017, 01:32 AM.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

I don't have the book or character on me because my group keeps our rpg stuff in the same spot so we don't have to keep lugging them around, so I'll do my best to clarify without much reference material to backup my memory.

Let me start by saying that my game sessions last around 6 to 8 hours, so it's a decent amount of time.

I got into the complex Refinements with Athanors. Exceptional successes let you make a Mentor and Furnace at the same time, and with a Beast on the team, and the Inspired condition, exceptional successes aren't hard to get.

I did a lot of different Roles, and found most of them fairly easy to complete. I started out in Ferrum, and completed the Martyr Role by surviving my first serious fight (surviving stuff a human couldn't). I got the Exemplar Role by being acknowledged as a world class athlete (5 Dex, 5 Athletics, Parkour Merit) pretty easily. The other Role has a Milestone for beating a superior foe in single combat, and another for doing it with strategic positioning. That one was a bit harder, but not too bad. I don't remember a lot of the order I took through other Refinements, but quite a few were pretty simple. An Argentum Role has a Milestone that completes when you are prepared for a specific supernatural threat, and that same Refinement has a power that turns your aura into a specific bane for pretty much any critter you come across so that wasn't so bad. Savage has a Milestone for terrorizing a community, and I got into a fight with some hunters in a city. A couple of area effect lightning bolts and spending enough pyros to spark a firestorm covered that one. Phosphorum has the Daredevil Role which requires you to take self destructive non-fatal risks, I got that one by drinking a bunch of poisons on a bet with a Slasher. Obviously those are some of the easier examples, but a lot of them have a similar difficulty.

Didn't do a lot of Elpis stuff. I was an Extempore and so didn't have access to Azothic memory. I did have an Azothic object, which one paragraph implies ties you to Azothic memory, but since that didn't lend itself to rules text it was largely ignored. I was in a group with some magical information gathering powers though, so that was pretty helpful. Although, since you can induce your own Elpis visions, and there's a Sensorium power to interpret all sybolism maybe it wasn't so different.

So yeah, it really felt rushed. I was actually having a really hard time keeping track of all the new alembics being added to my character as the Roles flew by. My character sheet looks like one giant eraser burn. Fun though.

Comment

Akaru You clearly had access to the milestones and metagamed your way into making them happen.

Comment

Thanks for writing that up!

I'm looking back at my book now, because I'm wondering if my reading of certain systems is right. It seemed obvious to me that the Mentor Athanor was only for passing on the Refinement you just finished to someone else, but it looks like the text doesn't actually say that except by implication on 94. I also figured that forcing an Elpis Vision was limited to once per story, full stop, but it doesn't actually state whether you cause a Wasteland when you try again and you can't roll again at all.

I think the big difference is that you're expected to spend game time just inhabiting the Role and playing it out, and looking for an interesting Milestone opportunity when it arises. There are systems built around learning your character's custom/specific Milestones, you're not really expected to know them already. You don't need to be spending a whole story in one Role, but checking off one of the example Milestones as soon as possible feels like fast forwarding to the climax. Sure, you know how it ends, but the point was to sit down for a while and enjoy watching a movie.

Having said that, different session length and pacing is a factor. It sounds like you rolled for New Dawn after playing for 30 hours or so. My IRL group plays for like 2-3 hours, so that would be ~12 sessions for us. I could see one or two PCs completing the Pilgrimage after 12 sessions if they were really going after it. I think 2 Roles every 3 chapters is a brisk but reasonable pace, and you can try the New Dawn after just 8 Roles.

(aside: does anyone other than the players read Muddy Waters? Earth is definitely shooting to end her journey at 8 Roles if we get that far. Thinking about pace and the range of New Dawn outcomes makes me want to play a character who just wants out ASAP.)

Now I'm wondering about the other PCs' endgame stuff. Did the Beast become Incarnate? Did the Sin-Eater found a Tier 3 Krewe?
                              Last edited by Caladriu; 09-19-2017, 03:23 AM.

2E Legacy Updates
                              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                              Storm Keepers

Comment

Working...
                              X