Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alchemists and other supernaturals

Hi forums,

This is the first time I post in the Promethean forum, and this might have been answered before, so please redirect me if so, but I have questions about Alchemists and would like some help:
    1. It is known that an Alchemist can have a minor template (a Ghoul in Dark Eras Companion), but what happens if an Alchemist obtains a major template, does it lose its Alchemist qualities?
    2. Can a creature with a major template become an Alchemist? (The inverse question to last one, page 258, under "Strange Alchemies" implies that at least Mages can use alchemy, but how do they access Distillations? Do they need concurrent Gnosis/Magnitude?)
    Thanks
    Last edited by lbeaumanior; 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM.

No answers? Could a developer please put an unofficial answer?

Comment

It's not in the interest of the writers to give such answers. Do whatever works for your table.

Comment

You probably would have to wait until the Contagion Chronicles(big book about crossover) is written I'd imagine.
        Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 10-04-2017, 07:29 PM.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

I'd probably allow it. Other game lines have already shown themselves to get involved in other forms of alchemy. Unless your splat was somehow unable to take advantage I'd let it happen.

Comment

Just because mages have effects based around alchemy, doesnt mean they know Distilations.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
              Just because mages have effects based around alchemy, doesnt mean they know Distilations.
              Flat humans are capable of seeing and learning. Nothing keeps this magic out of the hands of other game lines, who can even make Prometheans of their own, including mages. The hurdle mages might have is their overreliance on Supernal magic.

Mages or magi?
              Last edited by nofather; 10-04-2017, 11:29 PM. Reason: Was needlessly confrontational.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Flat humans are capable of seeing and learning. Nothing keeps this magic out of the hands of other game lines, who can even make Prometheans of their own, including mages. The hurdle mages might have is their overreliance on Supernal magic.

Mages or magi?
                There's a difference between Demiurges and Alchemists, and being one doesn't necessarily mean the other follows. Just because a major template character has the potential to animate a Promethean doesn't mean they have also the ability to develop Magnitude, which has yet to be put into hard rules(? last i checked).

I'd probably model this after Wolf-blooded Tells: you keep them after transformation, but I'd argue new Magnitude dots and formulas are no longer available. Any further grasp of the Principle is impossible, due to the overwhelming new energies and experiences of the new template. Vampires just fuck right off the first time they use that old Phosphorum or Vulcanus Distillation. Werewolves find the acrid fumes of acid and brimstone unbearable. Mages might explore alchemy, but reproducing Distillations via magic is more fruitful than cultivating Pyros. Other supernaturals may have better temperaments for alchemy, but I'll leave the reasoning to their devotees.

But mages in particular: they already have an in-splat conception of alchemy (Moros), and will find insatiate alchemy Supernally inert. As a Mystery, I'm sure it's a fascinating subject with many avenues of investigation, the Created and the Pyros being prime reasons to continue past alchemy. I also think that Disquiet and Flux are Obsessions waiting to become a Mad One's Fault. But alchemy as a means of empowerment seems to me doomed to fail.

LFP: American Carnage (Werewolf: the Forsaken)

Comment

Doesn't the book already say that mages with Promethean style alchemy exist....

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

In the sidebar of the alchemists page it mentions hunter groups (Malleus Maleficarum, Ashwood Abbey, and Loyalists of Thule) who are likely to have their own alchemists, and it says that some mages take up the avenue of alchemy (pyros-alchemy) as another tool in their pocket; the sidebar does say that mages rarely become insensate alchemists.

Comment

Working...
                    X