Lineages Based on "What is Life?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lineages Based on "What is Life?"

Something I mentioned in another thread was that - while the book didn't end up going too far into this - one of the developers suggested looking at the Lineages as answers to the question of what life is and where it comes from, such as lightning for the Frankensteins. Looking a bit further at the concept (and refining it a little from the last time I posted this list), you could see the Lineages as:

Frankensteins: Life is a spark - an ineffable something extra that transforms unliving matter into living. To create life is therefore a quest - it might be a magical, scientific, or religious quest, but is ultimately about the insight of the seeker as they find that spark.

Galateids: Life is perfection - works of beauty, creativity, and inspiration take on lives of their own - this is said again and again about art, so why would it be less so for art made in the form of life itself? To create life is therefore the exemplar of artistry.

Osirians: Life is divinity - it doesn't come and go, it's a true thing of the world, whether it's found in gods or mortals. To create life is therefore an act of power - an act of the creator's divine capacity to command what should be.

Tammuz: Life is the word - or the Word - the ultimate decree of the ultimate higher power. To create life is therefore a plea - to make your case to the ultimate judge that it should allow life to flourish in the vessel you have prepared.

Ulgan: Life is a threshold - the point where the world of solid matter meets the world of ephemeral spirit. To create life is therefore an act of initiation - both for the creator and the created - to move from one phase of life to another.

Unfleshed: Life is pure mechanism - or perhaps it doesn't exist at all, per se. To create life is therefore simply a matter of precision - assembling the right mechanisms so they work together.

Extemporae: Life is an unknowable mystery - maybe the greatest of all mysteries. To create life is therefore also a mystery - to brush against the unknown without ever truly understanding it - and in the same vein, it can manifest itself spontaneously where no life ever was or knew it could be.

So, two questions really:

1. Any other interpretations of this kind for the canon seven Lineages, or any fanmade ones?

2. And any other cool "What is life?" answers that you could base a Lineage around?

That's some cool interpretation. Really nicely done. It could be used to flesh out my Baalim Lineage and convert them to 2e. As an infernal Lineage, I assume that their theme would be that "Life is a transgression". It is a mistake, and should have never existed- but it does. It defies the natural order, bringing chaos and unbalance wherever it goes. There's nothing evil about it- that's just what life is. Unbound by moral or higher judgement, passions and desires are to be fulfilled and worshiped as the only god which actually walk this world. Creating life is simply a matter of expressing those desires in the most primal, brutal way.

The Dreamborn Lineage would probably be "Life is a dream", a fantasy which exist in our mind. We can't perceive the world directly- everything is just an illusion developed from the way our brain reads the electric signals generated from the interaction with the unknown, outside world. Every living thing lives in its own little dream until they wake up- and then, they are no more. Dream something for long enough, and it would become true.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Would you happen to be doing the Prophets (Amirani) Lineage from Dark Eras Companion, p 98?

Comment

About Amirani - 'Life is a Vision', maybe? They get pain and vision of last seen things by the previous body owner.

Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
        Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
        Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
        My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          That's some cool interpretation. Really nicely done.
          Thankyou.

It could be used to flesh out my Baalim Lineage and convert them to 2e. As an infernal Lineage, I assume that their theme would be that "Life is a transgression". It is a mistake, and should have never existed- but it does. It defies the natural order, bringing chaos and unbalance wherever it goes. There's nothing evil about it- that's just what life is. Unbound by moral or higher judgement, passions and desires are to be fulfilled and worshiped as the only god which actually walk this world. Creating life is simply a matter of expressing those desires in the most primal, brutal way.

The Dreamborn Lineage would probably be "Life is a dream", a fantasy which exist in our mind. We can't perceive the world directly- everything is just an illusion developed from the way our brain reads the electric signals generated from the interaction with the unknown, outside world. Every living thing lives in its own little dream until they wake up- and then, they are no more. Dream something for long enough, and it would become true.
          That's cool. In the second case, then creating life is a dream, just as life itself is, yes?

Originally posted by MCN View Post
          Would you happen to be doing the Prophets (Amirani) Lineage from Dark Eras Companion, p 98?
          Riffing off of wyrdhamsters suggestion, "Life is truth," perhaps? The ultimate expression of all things, good and bad, delightful and painful? Creating life could be an act of... maybe insight, or maybe receptivity to insight.

The two Lineages I'd created in the past were the Dumuz and the Delphine. The Dumuz were a kind of sibling Lineage to the Tammuz that played up the grief and loss and trying to bring someone back elements of both the Tammuz and Osiris myths, and gave them a special connection to death (their disquiet was that people tended to see reflection of their lost ones in the Promethean and become angry when she failed to live up to them). The Delphine were based on the oracle of Delphi and their founding myth had their creator calling the Divine Fire into herself, so becoming both demiurge and progenitor.
          But I'm not sure how to characterise either of them in this schema that I haven't used already, especially the Delphine. (The Dumuz could be "Life is a treasure - the greatest treasure of all, that causes unparalleled grief when it it lost. So to create life is an act of attachment, reaching out to something you cannot bear to be without" - but I'm not quite happy with that).

What about "Life is a gift" or "Life is a part of the whole" or "Life is balance" or "Life is growth [or growth and change]" - what kind of Lineages would they produce?
          Last edited by SunlessNick; 01-01-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Considering that, If I remember correctly, the Amirani are made from the corpses of those who suffered in their death, perhaps their theme could be "Life is pain"? The visions they gain are a direct outcome of the agony they suffer from. Hope comes from pain, and the touch of the divine brings pain to the world, so life may be born.

Talking about Dark eras, what about the Hollows? I think that "Life is hunger" is a solid enough theme for them, yes?

EDIT- also worth to note the Zeka, which may something like "Life is destruction". Canon variations of the existing Lineages, such as the Orpheans, may also deserve their own theme.
            Last edited by LostLight; 01-02-2018, 05:53 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              Considering that, If I remember correctly, the Amirani are made from the corpses of those who suffered in their death, perhaps their theme could be "Life is pain"? The visions they gain are a direct outcome of the agony they suffer from. Hope comes from pain, and the touch of the divine brings pain to the world, so life may be born.
              Ah! Perfect. Life is pain, because everything worthwhile is born through pain and tribulation. So creating life is an act of surrender - both the creator and created will allow that pain to take them, but their suffering will buy something great. (Kinda poignant in that we only know them through their end, but that end was also responsible for the birth of a new Lineage).

Talking about Dark eras, what about the Hollows? I think that "Life is hunger" is a solid enough theme for them, yes?
              A Lineage that arose from a disaster and persisted for a few decades at most? "Life is emptiness, and creating life is an act of futility" sums them up pretty well. Did any of them redeem?)

EDIT- also worth to note the Zeka, which may something like "Life is destruction"
              That works. What would you say creating it is an act of?

Canon variations of the existing Lineages, such as the Orpheans, may also deserve their own theme.
              The Orpheans might be the "life is a gift" I proposed as the basis for a Lineage - Orpheus was given Euridice because he moved Hades, not not in transaction - if only he'd believed in it for a little longer. Creating life might then be an act of faith. (That could go for my own Dumuz too - though given what Inanna goes through, creating it might be an act of sacrifice rather than faith - "Life is a treasure - the greatest of all treasures when sought, and acknowledged the greatest sacrifices when it is given. So to create life is an act of sacrifice - giving both the creator and the created over to the trials of the Underworld for new life to be found.").

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                A Lineage that arose from a disaster and persisted for a few decades at most? "Life is emptiness, and creating life is an act of futility" sums them up pretty well. Did any of them redeem?
                Some Hollows do, going by 'The Hollow Children' sidebar.

Reading through their writeup, I'd actually go for 'Life is hunger'. Created from the bodies of those who died from deprivation, desperately seeking to satisfy the hunger that fills them, so they can finally feel satisfied, complete.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
                  Some Hollows do, going by 'The Hollow Children' sidebar.

Reading through their writeup, I'd actually go for 'Life is hunger'. Created from the bodies of those who died from deprivation, desperately seeking to satisfy the hunger that fills them, so they can finally feel satisfied, complete.
                  What would you say creating life is an act of?

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                    What would you say creating life is an act of?
                    Life is a need; it is the emptiness that must always be filled, the impulse that must always seek satisfaction, the drive that must always keep going, for to do otherwise is to cease being. To create life, therefore, is both to satisfy need and to share need.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
                      To create life, therefore, is both to satisfy need and to share need.
                      Great! Any other Lineages to do?

Comment

Working...
                      X