Alternative to social maneuvering rules and impact to refinement conditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to social maneuvering rules and impact to refinement conditions

Well we are going to be playing a play by post game and I feel the social maneuvering rules are too bulky so I just want single social rolls instead (pacing is very different in play by post so I don't want to spend a week "opening doors" or whatever). Usually no problem to do that normally, however three refinements (Cuprum, Cobalus, and Phosphorum) all have refinement conditions based on those rules.

​Any ideas on what to give for the refinement conditions if not using social maneuvering?

I do not really See how it's any more klunky than fighting in PbP, But You Could Instead Give them beats for succeeding On Certain Types Of Social Rolls.

Comment

While not in PtC 2e core, the full Social Maneuvering rules in CofD core has a section called Forcing Doors (this is also in the free GMC:RU document IIRC). Forcing Doors is a single roll rather than extended roll, with Doors simply acting as social Defense, so two of those work just fine using those rules instead. If you want to just use the Forcing Doors model, but keep Impression relevant, have Impression be a modifier to Doors (house ruled chart below), and have a failure on Forcing Doors automatically lead to a Hostile impression, with dramatic failure making the target immune from Social Maneuvering from the character without major RP and plot events changing their minds.

Perfect: -1 Door
      Excellent: No Change
      Good: +1 Door
      Average: +2 Doors
      Hostile: No roll unless using Hard Leverage (Hard Leverage is a subset of Forcing Doors when you use active threats of violence or harm to reduce the target's Doors further).

Now Social Maneuvering is usually one roll, maybe two if you want to boost your Impression first (though Cathars can boost three levels without rolling, so they can go from Hostile to Excellent without pausing for a roll).

--------

That all said, Social Maneuvering via Soft Leverage is actually not hard to handle in PbP unless the group is using teamwork actions or other methods of boosting the primary PC involved. You can accomplish it with the following number of posts (this works best if you allow a bit more collaboration with defining the NPC, or use a NPC that the players already know a lot about):

1) Player posts desire to use Soft Leverage, a Goal, and what their approach.
      2) ST responds with the target number of Doors, starting Impression level, and any modifier to the Wits + Socialize roll to alter Impression.
      3) Player can roll to increase Impression if desired, but the outcome only impacts in-character pacing at this point. The player responds with roll results, and a list of Soft Leverage actions with more options than the number of Doors (some padding in case they fail a few rolls), and one or two rolls for increasing Impression if needed.
      4) ST responds with dice modifiers and/or contested dice-pools for each player action on the list, and notes which will reduce Impression on a failure.
      5) The system should run itself at this point, allowing the player to post a series of in-character actions with the in-game time taken, in order to complete the Social Maneuvering.
      6) The ST responds appropriately for any resolution (consequences of failing, or what the NPC does to fulfill the PC's Goal).

Comment

Wormwood - Yes, Down and Dirty combat rules.

​@Heavy Arms - Thank you for your input, but we are not doing a minimum of six posts for something that can be covered in one roll. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

​I guess I'll just come up with some beats or modifiers to the social rolls.

Comment

Ah, I see. Since down and dirty is not the Standard system, it would make sense to include that Information.
          I dont see why you shouldnt be able to practically krib down and dirty for social maneuvers. Same steps, one roll, ~ 2 Posts.
          You still need the Player to state their intention and approach etc., but once they are used to including those Information In Their posts, Things should move quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerand View Post
            ​@Heavy Arms - Thank you for your input, but we are not doing a minimum of six posts for something that can be covered in one roll. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

​I guess I'll just come up with some beats or modifiers to the social rolls.
            Not trying to be too defensive here... but half my post was a one roll social resolution that doesn't require any changes to the Refinements by not eliminating Doors and Impression. If you want to honestly thank me and all, how about responding to the part where I solved all this for you already even if you don't like the second half where I point out how to speed up the RAW Soft Leverage rules.

Saying that six posts is onerous also strikes me as a bit odd. Any serious action is going to involved four posts as it is: the player declaring what they're doing, the ST responding with any relevant mechanical inputs before rolling, the player rolls and posts the action based on the roll, the ST posts the reactions of the NPCs/etc. based on the outcomes. PbP already has to deal with four posts for actions that only take one roll, because PbP complicates what would be normally very short player/ST communications at a table. I was simply pointing out that Soft Leverage can be run fairly efficiently for a system with a lot of rolls to it (that is, the amount of posts don't scale with the number of rolls called for with a bit of trust in the player). This isn't combat where running the full combat systems in PbP is insane because the game state changes constantly and each round has to be handled with a new set of posts.

Comment

Working...
            X