X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchel
    replied
    Trying to fit the Wasteland rules together in my head. To confirm:

1. Any of the triggers listed on p174-5 create a Category 1 "Touched" Wasteland (except breaking out of a Role, which creates a Category 2 "Tainted" Wasteland where all rolls to resist the Disquiet of the Promethean become chance dice) in which objects are slightly more brittle, Prometheans are slightly more susceptible to Torment, and Disquiet rolls do not require an exceptional success to move the Disquieted Condition beyond its second stage. If the area is already under the effects of a Wasteland of any Category, it increases in severity as it Festers.

2. The area affected by a Wasteland starts out at a scale determined by the smaller chart on page 176; if the Wasteland's creator remains in the area for an amount of time based on their Azoth that is roughly identical to the list for creating a Wasteland through lack of milestones or Refinement shifts* or is otherwise subject to more Wasteland triggers, the higher of the creator's Azoth or the effective Azoth of the Wasteland (with modifiers if the creator is part of a branded throng)** is rolled. Success on this roll causes the Wasteland to Fester, worsen, and expand; each increase in category causes the Wasteland to affect an area one step higher on the small chart and steps its effects up to those of the next Category on the larger chart.

3. By the opposite token, if the Wasteland's creator spends the amount of time listed on the larger chart outside of the area affected by the Wasteland, it reduces to the preceding level of intensity on the larger chart and drops in size to the previous level on the smaller chart; by simple mathematics, this cannot result in a smaller area than the Wasteland started with outside the specific contexts of a Wasteland that was formed at a Category higher than 1.

4. This is where I run into some trouble. A Wasteland that reaches Category 5 or gets an exceptional success on its Festering roll immediately triggers a Firestorm, which applies a substantial penalty to rolls to resist Torment within its bounds. The Wasteland rules say that this washes away the Wasteland entirely and that Prometheans may do this deliberately (and directs to the Firestorm section, where the utility and danger of this process is repeated) by causing enough Festering triggers to raise the Wasteland's category to 5.

5. The Firestorm rules in turn highlight the most severe level of Wasteland progression as one of the triggers for an Azothic Firestorm, although other means of triggering a Firestorm also exist, which in turn means the potential for a Firestorm to immediately end the effects of a Wasteland on the Firestorm's area of effect is a meaningful possibility rather than a niche outcome. On the other hand, the section's discussion of scale makes it fairly plain that Prometheans spending Pyros tends to result in centered Firestorms rather than widespread ones; the effects of a Category 5 Wasteland therefore probably do not need to be widespread to burn out the distributed Pyros in an area, although a Firestorm of sufficient Strength (as Firestorms triggered in a Category 4 Wasteland are more likely to be) stands a chance of becoming so even if it would normally be centered.

6. Here's the point of uncertainty: Assuming that high-Azoth Prometheans being more readily capable of forming and Festering Wastelands is not supposed to mean a powerful Centimanus will devastate an entire city just by showing up and hanging around for a week, and going off of the fact that a Firestorm's baseline Extreme Environment is more dangerous to Prometheans and Pandorans than anyone else, it is probably a fair guess that the Firestorm brought about by Wasteland progression is centered rather than widespread; does this still mean that an Azoth 5 Promethean who has bumped their Wasteland up to Category 5 applies a -5 penalty to Torment resistance rolls for every Promethean in the region for the handful of turns that the Vortex persists, or is that malus confined to the ten-yard span in which they triggered the process?

* Notably, this does mean that there is a hard ceiling of six months on how long a Promethean can stall on his Pilgrimage in the same place before he has direct metaphysical consequences dogging his footsteps, because Festering occurs on the same timescale thereafter whether he is learning or not.

** Notably, this is the only way in which a branded throng affects the Wasteland; high-Azoth Prometheans cannot reduce the starting area of their Wasteland through membership in a diverse throng and must instead take their chances with Dampening their Azoth to a lower level, though

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    What's the range for biting aura? Does it go out the entire Azotic Radiance or just the general area around the promethean. When I read I first assumed the former then I considered how that apply for characters with high Azoth
    I would assume arm's length, given that most of the rest of the Alembic concerns itself with melee combat and the general stipulations of Spiritus Transmutations as a whole.

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    What's the range for biting aura? Does it go out the entire Azotic Radiance or just the general area around the promethean. When I read I first assumed the former then I considered how that apply for characters with high Azoth

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    I knowo that that... is it counter intuitive someone who does so frequently to be able to spend XP on improving Azoth.

e.g is going around risking disquiet wastelands etc part of improving Azoth

thought it was worth asking.
    It's improved as you spend lots of Pyros, which is harder to do when you've cut your maximum capacity by as much as ninety percent. Dampening is increasingly likely to be the typical state of things for a high-Azoth character who isn't in relatively dire straits or running on borrowed time.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    I knowo that that... is it counter intuitive someone who does so frequently to be able to spend XP on improving Azoth.

e.g is going around risking disquiet wastelands etc part of improving Azoth

thought it was worth asking.

Leave a comment:

• The Third King
    replied
    You just can't raise it back to the "natural" level for 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    Does Damping Down Azoth make it more difficult to raise in the near future?

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    Yeah it looks like what the Principle is will remain open-ended for the STs benefit, not that's a problem, I myself have a homebrew theory working on what if think is the Principle, so it's good. I was just interested to see if there was anything more detail per say then what we got in the PtC 2e core for a better persepective.

Leave a comment:

• Caladriu
    replied
    I'm wondering has there been anything substantial in terms of hints on exactly what the Principle is or is the best we got is just from the Core, with it's open ended theories? I doubt there really has been any but I'm just asking to be sure.
    The 1E book Pandora's Book has a chapter on the qashmallim and the Principle, but it's more like "here is what it would be like if one of these 3 or 4 things were true" than a single definite statement. I remember reading one of the devs saying of 2E "some of us write with the assumption that the Principle is the creator God, some of us write it as a mindless emergent property of the Divine Fire, some of us write it as a conscious being actively trying to achieve some kind of New Dawn of its own," which I take to mean that there is not a canon answer that there could be hints about. When I run Promethean I just pick something and treat that as true, which I think is the idea.

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    My finally use that - In 2E, is there way to control choosing of Refinement in other Created character? Cause something like that happened in Westworld lately...
    What happened in westworld

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    My finally use that - In 2E, is there way to control choosing of Refinement in other Created character? Cause something like that happened in Westworld lately...
    What do you mean by choosing? Like you as a character influencing what Refinement one goes into? I guess but only through talking and taunting. Getting someone into Tin would probably be easier, all you have to do is really piss them off.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    I'm wondering has there been anything substantial in terms of hints on exactly what the Principle is or is the best we got is just from the Core, with it's open ended theories? I doubt there really has been any but I'm just asking to be sure.
    "The Principle is the Principle"
    -Unhelpful Quashmallim.

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Where is the source on that?
    No it’s the demon storytellers guide

Leave a comment:

Working...
X