Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new Lineages would you like to see?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What new Lineages would you like to see?

For me, things are clearly missing from Taoist Alchemy and Aztec Alchemy.

Moreover some Buddhist legend can be easily adapted as a Chir Batti, the same can be done with Zahhak's lineage in Zoroastrianism.

The Shinto Tsukumogami would be a good alternative to the Unfleshed.

It also seems to me that the Inca Mummies are well-suited since they usually appeared from the sacrifice of a noble child and ritualistic form during times of calamity so that the community had someone who spoke directly to the Gods on their behalf and was heard.

The Return of the Amirani and Hollow would be good.

Finally something like the Replicants of Blade Runner.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Ben Linus; 07-19-2018, 11:20 AM.

Pinocchio. Maybe Carlo Collodi was to the Lineage what Mary Shelley, Polidori etc was to the Frankensteins.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Pinocchio. Maybe Carlo Collodi was to the Lineage what Mary Shelley, Polidori etc was to the Frankensteins.
      I really need to get off my butt and write my Geppetto Lineage at some point. I’ve had the idea since early in first edition, but I’ve never gotten around to completing them. My mental image of them is so creepy.

Jason Ross Inczauskis
      Freelance Writer
      Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, TC In Media Res
      Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I really need to get off my butt and write my Geppetto Lineage at some point. I’ve had the idea since early in first edition, but I’ve never gotten around to completing them. My mental image of them is so creepy.
        Creepy is good. Promethean is quickly jumping up the Weirdness and Creepy scales, from what we’ve seen with tidbits of what will be in NH The Tormented.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Creepy is good. Promethean is quickly jumping up the Weirdness and Creepy scales, from what we’ve seen with tidbits of what will be in NH The Tormented.
          Agreed. It’s why it’s kind of surprising that I’ve waited so long to write them up.

Jason Ross Inczauskis
          Freelance Writer
          Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, TC In Media Res
          Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
            Agreed. It’s why it’s kind of surprising that I’ve waited so long to write them up.
            That's a Lineage I wanted to exist for a really long time as well, so color me curious

My own ideas were a mess of butchered points to connect with to the Fae or using all the actual esoterical symbolism hidden in the tale to do stuff. But, as I said, it was a mess from which nothing actually came out.

Looking forward towards what you have in mind
            Last edited by Cinder; 07-20-2018, 02:11 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Some ideas of Lineages that I'm trying to write for a long time:

- A vegetal oriented one, in the tradition of Rappacini's Daughter, Alraune - or even Poison Ivy, in a way. Pyros would be the flames that cling to the biblical Burning Bush (or buddhist Lotus Flower) that grows within them, animating their bodies and making them the source of all those legends about Mandragoras being more human than plant.

- A skeletal Lineage based on the legend or Sedna.

- A Zombie Lineage, of course.
              Last edited by Adrasalieth; 07-20-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrasalieth View Post
                Some ideas of Lineages that I'm trying to write for a long time:

- A vegetal oriented one, in the tradition of Rappacini's Daughter, Alraune - or even Poison Ivy, in a way. Pyros would be the flames that cling to the biblical Burning Bush (or buddhist Lotus Tree) that grows within them, animating their bodies and making them the source of all those legends about Mandragoras being more human than plant.

- A skeletal Lineage based on the legend or Sedna.

I liked the Ideas. And that takes the Buddhist lineage, which responds to the Indian / Japanese source that I miss.

Comment

2nding (or 3rding?) on the Plant Lineage one.

The only issue I have with Skeletons and Zombies is that Prometheans are already made from corpses.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

The only issue I have with Skeletons and Zombies is that Prometheans are already made from corpses.
                    Of course, but in my opinion, there's something about the skeletal and zombie-like aspect that's distinct enough from the other corpse-born Lineages. A typical Nepri looks like a dried up mummy, and Tammuz are more clay-like than Romero fresh-from-the-grave risen corpses. For now, there's no Lineages where having your bones laid bare or experimenting putrefaction is truly a defining Disfigurement, and I think there should be, given the weight of such features in the collective imagination when it comes to undead things (almost every fantasy or horror games has its skeletons and/or its zombies).
                    Last edited by Adrasalieth; 07-20-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrasalieth View Post

Of course, but in my opinion, but there's something about the skeletal and zombie-like aspect that's distinct enough from the other corpse-born Lineages. A typical Nepri looks like a dried up mummy, and Tammuz are more clay-like than Romero fresh-from-the-grave risen corpses. For now, there's no Lineages where having your bones laid bare or experimenting putrefaction is truly a defining Disfigurement, and I think there should be, given the weight of such features in the collective imagination when it comes to undead things (almost every fantasy or horror games has its skeletons and/or its zombies).
                      The Inca Mummies are dehydrated cadavers. Could it serve your concept of "zombie" Adrasalieth?

I think they match with Prometheans because they are made in times of desperation in the community and literally to negotiate with the Gods on behalf of the community. It seems to me a legitimate motive to extract Pyros and a little ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post

The Inca Mummies are dehydrated cadavers. Could it serve your concept of "zombie" Adrasalieth?

I think they match with Prometheans because they are made in times of desperation in the community and literally to negotiate with the Gods on behalf of the community. It seems to me a legitimate motive to extract Pyros and a little ironic.
                        Actually, I thought about Mesoamerican Prometheans as being more skeletal than zombie-like (one notable inspiration on this side would be the Tzitzimitl). Also, the homebrew Lineage I made around Skeletons, the Sedna, need corpses of people chosen by a group as a scapegoat for their Generative Act, which matches with the Mesoamerican traditions of human sacrifice.

Since the concepts of some Lineages seem to have interested some people, I'm gonna check if I still have the docs at hand and try to post them here this week ^^

Comment

I don't think you need a Lineage for a skeletal Promethean. What you're doing there is more along the lines of making a Construct (that is, a Promethean that's made of inanimate matter rather than corpses), much like the Unfleshed, except that the construction material is “bones”. To me, what you need to define a Lineage is an Element and a Humour, to provide a thematic basis for its Wasteland, Disquiet, and Torment.

As for the idea of a plant-based Lineage, I could get behind that; though I'd tend to blend it a bit with the Gepetto/Pinocchio idea.

Comment

Adrasalieth I second Dataweaver: more important than the material is the thematic concept behind the lineage, and so there should be more focus on the Element/Humour behind it.
                            The restrictions of the Sedna are interesting though. Would like to see that write up, but not nearly as much as your Alraune.
                            Wood as an Element would work excellently, seeing how it is an element in the Chinese system. What Humour would the 'vegetable' Lineage have? Personally, it made me think of something like Aquatic, being stretched too thin, so that in Torment they become unable to act quickly, and tend to 'grow roots' (sorry) in a place or tend towards superficial, repetitive actions. Curious to see your take on it.
                            I would totally love a plant-based Promethean lineage, and I like the fluff bit about Mandragoras, the Burning Bush and Lotus flowers a lot, so I am rooting (Sorry!) for you!

Comment

wouldn't the Pinocchio lineage just be Unfleashed?

Comment

Working...
                              X