No announcement yet.

Night Horrors: The Tormented on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So reading thai book, a question pops to my mind. Promethean Core stated very early on that there might be one hundred Prometheans on the planet at any given time. Yet reading Night Horrors, I get the distinct feeling that there are decidedly more Prometheans on the planet than that. Actaeon seems to taunt, troll, and blackmail plenty of other Created. Angel definitely tracks them down relatively frequently. And then Beatrice's write flat-out says that Prometheans around the world tracked the Matchbox throng and hundreds were crushed by their failure.

So did canon shift somewhere between the two books? Or is this an oversight?

(And I'm discussing this here rather then flagging errata because a) it seems like a good discussion and b) in my home games, there are somewhere between 1000 and 100000 Prometheans at any given time, so I really don't mind canon shifting on this.)

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

As a toolbox, any one, two, or all of these entities might exist in your game. Alternatively none of them might. The populations of your game are going to be what you want them to be.

Comment

Can I just say that the art in this book is amazing? The illustrations of Coeus and SK/23 are far creepier than anything I imagined.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

A fair few people in the Tormented section are lacking Bestowments. Which is annoying for the Extempore...

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I did find it odd how one of the write-ups spoke so casually about word getting around the Promethean community, as if it was a given that news of what happened would spread more or less immediately everywhere. I think it was in the backstory for clones.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              So reading thai book, a question pops to my mind. Promethean Core stated very early on that there might be one hundred Prometheans on the planet at any given time. Yet reading Night Horrors, I get the distinct feeling that there are decidedly more Prometheans on the planet than that. Actaeon seems to taunt, troll, and blackmail plenty of other Created. Angel definitely tracks them down relatively frequently. And then Beatrice's write flat-out says that Prometheans around the world tracked the Matchbox throng and hundreds were crushed by their failure.

So did canon shift somewhere between the two books? Or is this an oversight?
              It plays with canon. The Night Horrors books are uniquely suited to playing with previously established rules because they offer So. Many. characters and the intent is for ST's to choose the ones that fit their setting. In this case the IC rationale would be that only one of them exist in your setting (or Actaeon and Angel are gonna hunt the same Created pretty quickly, which could also be interesting) and they're expert trackers when it comes to Azothic Radiance. Remember that Radiance is also the in-game explanation for "of the 100 Prometheans in the world, an entire throng and all their friends and enemies ended up here." (And if Azothic Radiance fails, the Divine Principle probably nudged them.)

Having said that, I might change Beatrice's hundreds to dozens.

Freelance Author and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                I did find it odd how one of the write-ups spoke so casually about word getting around the Promethean community, as if it was a given that news of what happened would spread more or less immediately everywhere. I think it was in the backstory for clones.
                One of the things we needed to consider writing the core was "how do Prometheans find each other". With so few numbers, they can't just walk around until they happen to find another Created. Enter Azothic Radiance and Pilgrimage Marks, the latter of which would include warnings about clones. Rambles are likewise a great way to pass stories around, and the short story anthology has Prometheans using online message boards.

It's also good to keep in mind that "the Promethean community" in write-ups means the local Promethean community. For example, a clones' storyhook mentions a religious leader on national television, and yeah, I can absolutely imagine all Prometheans in ie America having some way of contacting each other.
                Last edited by mistress of whispers; 11-08-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

In my vision of Promethian-land, it isn't that there are tons of the Created scattered everywhere, but they do still clump up--like tends to find like--and form comunities. That's what allows hunters like Angel to get out there and have a snack (or sometimes two).

Rick A. Carroll - Onyx Path Freelancer
                  Worked On: Night Horrors: Enemy Action, Night Horrors: The Tormented
                  Working On: Nada at the moment. Hire me!

Comment

Oh; did I mention that I loved the examples of Mystery Cults in the book? Well, I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrazghul View Post
                      In my vision of Promethian-land, it isn't that there are tons of the Created scattered everywhere, but they do still clump up--like tends to find like--and form comunities. That's what allows hunters like Angel to get out there and have a snack (or sometimes two).

Def. There's practical benefits to being around other Prometheans (Pilgrimage advice, and less Disquiet if you're in a mixed throng) as well as the emotional solace of being around people who get what it's like. So they tend to congregate and stick together. (Except maybe for Zeky, who are hella dangerous to be around even by Created standards.) So all Actaeon and Angel need to do is find such a community, and they're good for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrazghul View Post

Yeah, a flotsam and jetsam comparison is VERY apt for Prometheans.

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm probably filtering the text through my own view of Promethean as well, so of course I'd read it in the context that works for my own games.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            Yeah, that makes sense. I'm probably filtering the text through my own view of Promethean as well, so of course I'd read it in the context that works for my own games.
                            And that is 100% the correct way to do it.

Rick A. Carroll - Onyx Path Freelancer
                            Worked On: Night Horrors: Enemy Action, Night Horrors: The Tormented
                            Working On: Nada at the moment. Hire me!

Comment

I tend to ignore the "100 Prometheans" line in my games. And I mean, if any game should be able to adapt and mutate to fit a purpose, it should be Promethean thanks all authors for your hard work, can't wait to dig deeper into the book.

Comment

How many words is the book? I'm not sure if Stat Blocks are counted and my word processor factors in page numbers and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X