Staying Put?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Put?

The Storytelling chapter has the following question to ask your players: "Will the story focus on one place, or travel a lot?"

From my understanding of the rules, this is not something that the Storyteller can really control, is it? Disquiet, Wastelands, Torment, etc means that it's up to the players, their characters, and how they choose to handle these things.

Is there something the ST can do to accommodate a player who doesn't want to travel, while keeping to RAW? Or who wants to travel rarely? In my case, my player said they would rather travel happen equivalent to "once a season" as opposed to "every three episodes."

I think it depends on how strictly you define "staying put". Most of those problems are very localized for starting Prometheans, so it's reasonably possible to spend a long time in one city as long as you're willing to move around within it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maina View Post
      The Storytelling chapter has the following question to ask your players: "Will the story focus on one place, or travel a lot?"

From my understanding of the rules, this is not something that the Storyteller can really control, is it? Disquiet, Wastelands, Torment, etc means that it's up to the players, their characters, and how they choose to handle these things.

Is there something the ST can do to accommodate a player who doesn't want to travel, while keeping to RAW? Or who wants to travel rarely? In my case, my player said they would rather travel happen equivalent to "once a season" as opposed to "every three episodes."
      As long as the player is fully informed of the game mechanics and the consequences of their choice, this gives you interesting roleplaying opportunities. For example a Vampire player might express a dislike of feeding off humans. This could either be a player who is ill-suited for the game, or a character with really difficult moral choices. The player needs to know (before play starts) that the rules of Disquiet are not you punishing their choice, but a consequence of the game mechanics. By choosing those consequences, they could produce an interesting story. If they don't like that aspect of the game it might be better to switch to a different splat.

Comment

I always disliked that PtC 2E forced you to run traveling chronicle in mechanics - instead off persuade to do this. Letting character to stay few months or even years in one place would be godsend for making game more popular to run. Most players do not join ideas of 'character development of psyche' with 'you need to travel around the world to get it'.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          I always disliked that PtC 2E forced you to run traveling chronicle in mechanics - instead off persuade to do this.
          2e very specifically does that. Two of the five common Refinements favor Disquietism, being in a typical Branded Throng makes most starting characters mathematically incapable of causing Disquiet unless they're horrifically unlucky, and Disquiet specifically can't get worse than "this person doesn't like you and you as a player can take Beats to make them to make things worse for you" unless you roll an exceptional success on a contested Azoth roll or you're confronted in a Wasteland — and Wastelands spread very slowly and can clear out quickly in 2e.

Raising Azoth is not required and in many ways is still actively disincentivized, at the bottom of the ladder it's entirely reasonable for a character to spend years in a location and only maybe move house once or twice a year at most, and even if you do raise your Azoth there are multiple ways to lower its effective rating for the sake of being able to go out among mortals. You're not "forced" to run a traveling game by any reasonable metric.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

The only time I can see a Throng absolutely having to move from a city due to Disquiet or Wastelands making it virtually impossible to stay, the town they're in is probably too small to support a Throng and/or provide opportunities for different Roles anyway. You know, a town with a three digit population at the most.
            Conversely, if you play in a larger city, none of those things should be a concern. At most you'll have to change location within the city, not move away from it.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Taking just my city, greater area is 250K population with 20-odd residential suburbs within 20 minutes drive of the city, so long as you play a standard Branded Throng and don't use a realistic/worse than realistic housing crisis, you would need high Azoth to be causing any mess that spreads more than a house

Consumer of lore, myth, history, tales and songs. Pronoun ambiguous Constantly Out in the Grapes™

Comment

Thank you all very much for these responses. It eased my concerns quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                X