Alternative Construct Lineages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Construct Lineages

Magnum Opus presents several options for creating Prometheans from inert materials, as well as origin stories as to how such acts may have created the five core Lineages. I'm attempting to put together a list of other potential origins for Construct Prometheans, in the hopes that I (or someone, at least) might get around to doing up some FanSplats for them.

So far, I've thought of:

1. Idols created for veneration and/or supplication of divinity, and
    2. Figures created as guardians, like terra cotta soldiers or gargoyles.

Feel free to add any suggestions you may have!

(EDIT: As I read this, it occurs to me that the methods and reasoning behind a Construct's creation may provide guidance as to the Promethean's Torment, Disquiet, and general temperament, but don't give any advice as to the nature of their defining humor. If anyone has suggestions for humors or humor-like ideas (like manna for Benjamin Beard's Seraphim Lineage), I'd love to hear those too.)

I quite like both of these ideas and concepts of Disquiet and Torment both immediately spring to mind for both of the Lineage ideas you've thought of. While I definitely understand the pull to create new humours and elements for new Lineages to be aligned with I actually think it would be just as interesting to see variations on current humours / elements. I also think the idea of dual-humoured Lineages is interesting. I think the setting opens up for more possibilities if the same humour is not always reflected by the same type of Disquiet / Wasteland / Torment.

Gargoyles, for instance, could be melancholic and/or choleric. The Disquiet inspired by Gargoyles could cause mortals to become jealous and desirous of the things the Gargoyle possesses or protects (or, alternately, feel they must protect their own possessions and property against the Gargoyle). A Gargoyle's Torment would involve become territorial and overprotective.

Comment

Benjamin Beard:
      While I definitely understand the pull to create new humours and elements for new Lineages to be aligned with I actually think it would be just as interesting to see variations on current humours / elements.
      A set of "the big four" humours/elements each for flesh, ephemera, and inert material - cf what Dataweaver made of your Samedi and Seraphim - might be an interesting angle. (I'm not so keen on dual-humours).

In any case, @shkspr both of these ideas are good. I'm somewhat inclined to advocate replacing the Osirians with the idols, but if you don't want to do that, then something Mespotamina, Babylonian or Canaanite could be the way to go (hailing from a part of the world that gave rise to a prohibition against idol-making would be fitting for a world where everybody hates Prometheans). Disquiet might represent a kind of worship, which initially looks good - except that worship in these societies was contractual, and expected to be returned with help - and unrequieted worship can easily turn to anger. Torment might be divine wrath, or the expectation of worship as due rather than one half of an exchange.
      I largely agree with Benjamin Beard about the Gargoyles (I'd lean towards protectiveness of their own things over covetousness of the Gargoyle's, as it's independent of what the specific Gargoyle happens to have or guard).

(Incidentally, someone blew my mind recently by pointing out that Frankenstein's Monster, going by the novel, couldn't have been made from body parts. And they were right, and now I wonder how I and everyone else missed it).

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
        ...something Mespotamina, Babylonian or Canaanite could be the way to go (hailing from a part of the world that gave rise to a prohibition against idol-making would be fitting for a world where everybody hates Prometheans). Disquiet might represent a kind of worship, which initially looks good - except that worship in these societies was contractual, and expected to be returned with help - and unrequieted worship can easily turn to anger. Torment might be divine wrath, or the expectation of worship as due rather than one half of an exchange.
        When I wrote that up, I was actually thinking more along the lines of Tiki figures and Totem poles, but your Biblical angle works great too.

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
        (Incidentally, someone blew my mind recently by pointing out that Frankenstein's Monster, going by the novel, couldn't have been made from body parts. And they were right, and now I wonder how I and everyone else missed it).
        That being the case, what do you think the Disfigurements for 'Frankenstein Classic' would be?

Comment

Hee, I was debating about whether to suggest tikis or what I did.

Tulpas might be worth looking at as well. And maybe mandrakes.

It doesn't say what the Creature was made out of in the novel, just that Frankenstein hadn't yet figured out whether to restore life to formerly living tissue. Which presumably rules out wood as well. The colours of his tissues being all wrong is one possible disfigurement (and in line with the book).

Comment

Working...
          X