Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Awful Ice [Setting Material]

The Awful Ice- Heaven's Frost

"And over the heads of the living creatures there was the likeness of a firmament, like awful ice, stretched forth over their heads above"- Ezekiel, Chapter 1 verse 22

long time ago, inspired by few books I've read (one was Song of Ice and Fire, but I can't recall the name of the main one- something about magic working blacksmiths with a struggle between the gods of life and the gods of ice), I've had a idea from a new, antagonistic force against the Created- a parallel to the Principle made out of ice and frost which seeks to preserve the world in prefect silence. However, because Promethean didn't managed to grasp me during that time, that idea has remained in the form of concept only, which eventually became a bit redundant as the God Machine became the embodiment of the "status que" and the spoiler about the River of Death eventually made the Ocean of Fragments to be the Principle's "twin" in my cosmology. I was about to give up on that idea- yet for some reason, the new edition really got me. I truly think it is beautiful, and has started to make all my creative juices flow. I've thought about translating old material (like the Dreamborn Lineage or Bestowments which weren't used) or make new one (like finishing my Baalim or writing Extempore Bestowments for the ones presented in the book)- but then, the old idea caught me and didn't let go until I wrote it. I don't know how redundant it is, or how much interest it could add to a Promethean game or anything (like I've said, I barely had interest in the game before the new edition)- but here it is! Or, more exactly, part of it. For now it is only a fiction. I plan on adding full explanation on the phenomena later including mechanics, with some kind of "servants/creations" of the Awful Ice, either in the form of promethean like creatures, alchemist like individuals or a something in the style of hunter conspiracy. Anyway, hope you'll like it!

- Opening Fiction
    - The Awful Ice- Divine Perfection
    - Antagonists and Phenomena
    - Crossover Section
    Last edited by LostLight; 08-18-2016, 06:08 PM.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

added background and started the mechanics for the Awful Ice infection

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

Comment

finished the mechanics for Kerakh and Chefor.

Comment

Interesting idea. I'm curious, what does Chefor and Karakh mean in real world terms?

Comment

This could definitely work for The Lightning Chronicle, though I'm not sure how much of it I'd keep and how much I'd use as inspiration. But the central theme works well as an antagonist there, since one of the main threats is loss of identity. Plus, it needs some more antagonists now that the Centimani have been changed.

It doesn't even need much mechanical work, since it's fairly easy to tie it to Identity loss instead of Pilgrimage loss.

Any plans for Ice-infected Pandorans?
          Last edited by Geckopirateship; 08-12-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
            Interesting idea. I'm curious, what does Chefor and Karakh mean in real world terms?
            Those are words in Hebrew- Kerakh means "Ice" and Chefor means "frost". The reason I've decided to use Hebrew was because an "Awful Ice" is a metaphor or concept used in Judaism from time to time to represent the divine- God's divinity goes from the the high and spiritual and crystallize as if it was ice, which is lesser than the spiritual yet higher than the material. It is the terrible awe of the Divine given into form, which all who near it freeze with with fear.
            Last edited by LostLight; 08-12-2016, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
              This could definitely work for The Lightning Chronicle, though I'm not sure how much of it I'd keep and how much I'd use as inspiration. But the central theme works well as an antagonist there, since one of the main threats is loss of identity. Plus, it needs some more antagonists now that the Centimani have been changed.

It doesn't even need much mechanical work, since it's fairly easy to tie it to Identity loss instead of Pilgrimage loss.

Any plans for Ice-infected Pandorans?
              feel free to use it in any way it works for your setting/ hacks! As for Ice infected pandorans- no, actually. The reason is that Flux is immune to the effects of the Ice- unlike Azoth, which bring life to the dead and transform the world, Flux brings chaos, degradation and destruction. It is entropy at its most basic sense, and you can't reduce the entropy of the universe- where Azoth is work, which can be converted by the Ice. The Ice is perfection, zero state energy of a system- and touching Flux would only destroy its perfect structure.

This is why turning into Centimanus is the only way to stop the infection- not heal it, but postpone it. You can't move forward, you can't fall back. Curing the infection requires fulfilling the Winter Milestones, as will be detailed later.

There will be, however, a section about how the Awful Ice interacts with pandorans, alchemists and qashmalim, and even some crossover interactions together with at least one new antagonist which is not "converted prometheans" (the Cold Ones)

Comment

@LostLight: Thank you; I'll be interested to see what else you cook up for this!

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                  feel free to use it in any way it works for your setting/ hacks! As for Ice infected pandorans- no, actually. The reason is that Flux is immune to the effects of the Ice- unlike Azoth, which bring life to the dead and transform the world, Flux brings chaos, degradation and destruction. It is entropy at its most basic sense, and you can't reduce the entropy of the universe- where Azoth is work, which can be converted by the Ice. The Ice is perfection, zero state energy of a system- and touching Flux would only destroy its perfect structure.

This is why turning into Centimanus is the only way to stop the infection- not heal it, but postpone it. You can't move forward, you can't fall back. Curing the infection requires fulfilling the Winter Milestones, as will be detailed later.

There will be, however, a section about how the Awful Ice interacts with pandorans, alchemists and qashmalim, and even some crossover interactions together with at least one new antagonist which is not "converted prometheans" (the Cold Ones)
                  That makes sense. I'd assume there are ice-aligned alchemists, too. Does the ice have any connection to the God-Machine?

Comment

As much as the Principle has- that is, as much as you want it to be. More in the crossover section.

Comment

finished the Cold Ones section (prometheans who were fully converted by the Ice) and the mechanics for healing the infection. Next- our mysterious antagonists (and maybe more) and a crossover section about the Awful Ice and other supers.

Comment

Added Blizzards, Glaciers and Auroras. Next- antagonists

Comment

Awe-sooome.

May I suggest a Blizzard born zombie horde last a bit longer, though?

Unless I'm missing something, Blizzards last only as long as Firestorms do, meaning the zombie, at most, has time to groan for brains before it dies again.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                            Awe-sooome.

May I suggest a Blizzard born zombie horde last a bit longer, though?

Unless I'm missing something, Blizzards last only as long as Firestorms do, meaning the zombie, at most, has time to groan for brains before it dies again.
                            ammm good point. perhaps 10 minutes per Blizzard's Strength?

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                              ammm good point. perhaps 10 minutes per Blizzard's Strength?
                              Good plan. Keeps in mind why people don't know about them (not enough death to have fresh corpses + relatively short time means that people don't realize the body moved itself for weaker Blizzards) but still allows for a vs. zombie legion chapter.

Comment

Working...
                              X