"Soul shard" merit: Prometheans as people returned from the dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Soul shard" merit: Prometheans as people returned from the dead

So, something I'm toying with is opening up the option that it's possible for Prometheans to really be people returned from the dead, continuity of consciousness and all. Now, I don't want this to be the default and I don't want the game to switch to being focused, I just think it's an interesting possibility.

My idea of how to handle it, is to introduce a Merit called something like "Soul Shard" or "Enduring Soul". Essentially, it means that a Promethean has part of the soul of one of the bodies it was made from. Now, this is incredibly rare, and requires that part of the brain of the original be relatively well preserved AND measures are taken to keep the soul from departing. "Soul-sharded" Prometheans aren't really that different from regular Prometheans, because no matter how well preserved the soul is, in the rare occasion when it is at all, there are always going to be massive jagged chunks missing, which get filled in with Pyros and other memories.

So, here's what it's like to be one of them, assuming that you died and someone was able to preserve your brain and soul and use them in a Promethean: you feel a massive surge of blackout agony and terror unlike anything you had felt before, then a stretch of utterly indescribable oblivion where even time was impossible to perceive. Then you wake up, and it's you- your consciousness continues on. But you've just woken up in a different, bizarre body with alchemical lightning pulsing and throbbing inside of you, you've lost most of your memories, and the memories you have might not even all be your own. You have vague memories of five different parents, and you don't know which were yours. You can kind of remember liking spicy food, but part of you recoils when you try to eat it. You hate county music, but you love Willie Nelson.

Such Prometheans, ironically, tend to have a harder time holding on to and forming their Identity from the majority of Prometheans, who emerge as wholly new ex-nihilo consciousnesses. Sharded Prometheans tend to have a vague grasp on what their Identity should be, but lack many crucial aspects of this identity, and the divide between what they think they should be and what they're able to be often causes them to rapidly plummet down the Identity ladder.

So, I'm wondering how to handle this in gameplay terms, as a Merit. What benefits would a "continuity" or "soul shard" merit have? I've already decided that I want it to give a penalty to resist Identity loss as a downside, but what upside should it have? Lessened Disquiet? Maybe it should just be a complete disadvantage, so it would be better as a Condition?

Given that you're capitalizing “Identity”, I'm assuming this is part of your Lightning Chronicle project?

Comment

Well, it doesn't have to be. You could use this idea in 1 or 2e Promethean if you wanted to. But that is the lense that I look at anything Promethean through.

Comment

I wanted to use something like this in normal Promethean 2E game I would run. I cchecked and rememeber correct, there where Merit in 1E about this - it was called Residual Memory (• to •••••) ( on page 97 of 1E corebook ) that give you 'clearer memories of your past life', i.e. some Skills dots and flashbacks to previous existance. I very like it, as it was my simple solution to have Osirians as only mummies I needed in my private CoD - and generally it's cool.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
        My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
        MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Eh, I'd keep this and residual memory as different things. This is specifically if you want to play a Promethean who isn't a new being but is someone who's been brought back to life in a very twisted way.

Comment

If you're on a Pilgrimage and are taking on Roles to better understand humanity, the implication is that you've got an outsider's perspective on humanity. If you've replaced Pilgrimage with an Identity trait built on different assumptions, that's a different story.

Comment

Okay, that doesn't really relate to gameplay considerations of this merit. I've explained why taking it would actually make it harder to deal with Identity loss, but do you think it should be the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                If you're on a Pilgrimage and are taking on Roles to better understand humanity, the implication is that you've got an outsider's perspective on humanity. If you've replaced Pilgrimage with an Identity trait built on different assumptions, that's a different story.
                Well, you could take it as "relearning" humanity. I mean, if you've just been wrenched into your mangled corpse from beyond the veil, you're probably not going to be feeling fully human. Your factual memory is there, and maybe some of your personality, but death has cut away your soul, and the Fire has cauterized the wound.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
                  Well, you could take it as "relearning" humanity. I mean, if you've just been wrenched into your mangled corpse from beyond the veil, you're probably not going to be feeling fully human. Your factual memory is there, and maybe some of your personality, but death has cut away your soul, and the Fire has cauterized the wound.
                  In The Lightning Chronicle, becoming human is no longer the primary goal, so it's not really a problem at all. A Promethean of this type might try to rebuild the life they had before or start a new one, but the Pilgrimage can encompass any kind of self-discovery and personal journey.

Comment

Hence the reason why it's important to specify whether you're working off of Firestorm Chronicle or Lightning Chronicle as the baseline where these hacks are concerned.

Comment

Alright, I'll try to keep that in mind in future topics, and make it clear.

I think I've got this idea more or less worked out, where "Continuity" is a Merit that gives you additional Identity to start with but makes it easier to drop.

Comment

Revisiting this, I think presenting the possibility of a person genuinely coming back to life as a Promethean could be interesting in that it provides more incentive (and tragedy/horror potential) for Prometheans to create progeny. Prometheans tend to wind up with at least one person dead who they didn't want to die, after all, and using their corpse would be even more tempting if there was a chance to actually bring them back.

Of course, we'd need to work out specifics and gameplay considerations for how it would work.

Comment

Hm, I'm actually thinking that this doesn't even need to be a merit or a gameplay thing, so much as a background setting element mentioning that sometimes, theoretically, this could happen. A scenario like that could also be handled as a Deviant story, but I want to leave open the possibility for Promethean stories that use true resurrection as a plot element.

Comment

I think I like it as a Condition: resolved by either dropping down on your integrity stat or giving into Torment too much, meaning the Fire erases the original consciousness, or completing a Pilgrimage that stabilizes you.

Comment

Working...
                            X