Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest Question - What do you think about Disquiet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MCN View Post
    I feel like the answer to my question is "Well, can you think of better ways to represent all these themes?" And its more of an issue with the limits of mechanics and mediums than anything. And that's something I can accept more than before. It appears that my issue has to do with, in part, disagreement over what individual symbols mean and their arrangements.

So, thank you everyone who actively contributed to the answer, especially blackhatmatt, Magnum Opus, Charlquin, Caladriu, Nicolas Milioni.

Fun psychological fact - brains mature in a way that makes you unable to emphathize with others for a good portion of your life. I think everyone's got a bit of that aggressive, arrogant know-it-all asshole in them, because that's kind of how we all do grow up.

And that ties nicely into the whole comparison of Prometheans and growing up / childhood.
    Yer welcome bro

Comment

I have MS, I have trouble focusing enough to watch a half hour anime episode,

My mom lectured me last week for going on a walk without my cane...

I find nothing Offensive whatsoever towards the disabled, in Disquiet

I DO think a question worth asking is "how can a Promethean use a mortal Retainer"

do they suddenly become immune to disquiet and it wasnt mentioned in the book or ideas on how to make use of them without engendering disquiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        I DO think a question worth asking is "how can a Promethean use a mortal Retainer"

do they suddenly become immune to disquiet and it wasnt mentioned in the book or ideas on how to make use of them without engendering disquiet.
        Disquiet is now a lot softer, so you could say that your Retainer suffers from it, but keeps doing the job because you pay them well enough. Or maybe you only contact them through phone calls and emails. Maybe they simply have enough willpower to stave off the effects, or maybe you deal with them only once or twice every month, making sure the disquiet never truly sets in.

Plenty of options, really.

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
        Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
        Keywords: Mute
        Duration: Instant
        Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

As long as the Promethean doesn't interact with their Retainer in a wasteland, it won't advance past Stage 2, which is just a -2 penalty to social rolls, +2 Doors, and no 10-again unless the player chooses to escalate it further for a Beat. And if they do have to interact with the Retainer in a Wasteland, or opt to take a Beat, there's always Sanctity of Merits. I could easily see a Promethean going through Retainer after Retainer, hiring new help each time the previous one succumbs to Disquiet.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

And possibly having a VERY generous Vacation and Benefits plan for his retainers, to help keep them loyal.

Whats it like just curious going on vacation for a few months then meeting the promethean again after the disquiets dissipated?

Comment

“That was refreshing; let's get back to work! ” … “…now I remember why I needed that vacation…”

Comment

oh a question?

on a Unfleshed. when Disquiet has faded will the person forget that he was an object?

Comment

Originally posted by blackhatmatt View Post
                  It's not the Promethean's "fault" that they engender Disquiet. It's something that they can't help. There's no moral judgement implied by it, it's just the unfortunate reaction between the Divine Fire and...basically everything else, but human perceptions in this specific case.

It is, however, profoundly unfair, that much is true.
                  I think that unfairness is important for the themes of Promethian: The Created. Battling for purpose to avoid ennui caused by an uncaring world set against you is fairly fundamental, and Disquiet is a major part of that. Promethian is brave enough a game to deal with really unpleasant emotions like isolation, alienation, frustration, hate, and despair and without mechanical teeth (ie the mechanics of Disquiet) that part of the experience can simply be ignored, which is something that is natural to do. People ignore unpleasantness, people are repelled by ugliness, and people hate that which is contemptible to them. Am I talking about the people playing the game or people in the game? Both.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                  "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

I've always liked disquiet and personally preferred it when it was more potent because of how I view the game. No metaphors. For me Promethean has always been a game about playing a monster that does NOT belong and should not exist. So of course they get unfair treatment and suffer for just existing, they're an abomination and them reaching the New Dawn is a miracle more or less. I've always felt that the number of prommies that have achieved their Great Work are so small that maybe only one or two prometheans in the whole world manage to reach the last few steps of their pilgrimage each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                      oh a question?

on a Unfleshed. when Disquiet has faded will the person forget that he was an object?
                      The Disquieted will probably justify it. "I was under a lot of stress at the time, and it was more important that the task get finished than it was for me to play nice." People treat each other like shit and tell themselves they're in the right, even when they were consciously at their worst.

LFP: American Carnage (Werewolf: the Forsaken)

Comment

Working...
                      X