No announcement yet.

Demiurges, Alchemists, Mages, or what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demiurges, Alchemists, Mages, or what?

Any ideas what Demiurges are, alchemists who found some incredible breakthrough, mages, or just reciptents, of some bizzare cosmic Curse and blessing.

They're usually not mages and their pursuit is typically orthogonal to what alchemists are after.

Mostly they're just the fallow ground in which a given Promethean "family tree" takes root.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Demiurges are the poor bastards singularly obsessed enough for the Divine Fire to choose them as a conduit. I think the means and methods used don't necessarily matter, or at least not nearly as much as the all-consuming drive to create.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Honestly, I think Demiurges are closer to the obsessive artists guided by Fate to make Seba than they are to Mages. That being said, a Demiurge can be an Alchemist but Alchemists are not necessarily Demiurges.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
          Honestly, I think Demiurges are closer to the obsessive artists guided by Fate to make Seba than they are to Mages. That being said, a Demiurge can be an Alchemist but Alchemists are not necessarily Demiurges.
          I would've made that comparison, but between you and me there's only another three or four Mummy fans out there.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

As presented in the book, alchemists are desperately seeking self-improvement; demiurges, meanwhile, are desperately seeking to create new life. They're kin, in that both have used their desperation to steal the Divine Fire; they differ in terms of what use they've put it to.

Comment

Mortals who are obsessed beyond anything with creating new life. An alchemist, mage or other supernatural might be similarly obsessed, but it's disproportionately unlikely for that obsession to so utterly outweigh the drives that come with their condition.

Mages and other supernaturals are also hampered by the fact that their powers aren't good at accessing the Divine Fire, so they have to take the very counter-intuitive step of abandoning the means and methods they're used to. (What vampire trying to create life is going to assume that vitae won't be key?).

Comment

A demiurge is, effectively, a mortal catalyst for the generative act. While her methods and materials do shape the resulting Promethean, her will and inspiration and obsession are the necessary components to ignite a fresh spark of Azoth. The Pyros is the sole mystical phenomenon involved, and while other supernatural creatures may find a means to channel it, they are no more likely to do so than mortals.

LFP: American Carnage (Werewolf: the Forsaken)

Comment

I kind of ending up having to say in Transgression that Mages create Prometheans a fair bit of times (assuming they exist in your chronicle), since it just would have been weird to say they didn't due to how likely it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I would've made that comparison, but between you and me there's only another three or four Mummy fans out there.

I too like Mummy!

(Also, I would totally have made that comparison too.)

Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

"The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

Comment

They are sufficiently rare enough that they don't easily fit into any more populous demographic. The Divine Fire doesn't interface with other supernatural beings in a manner that is conductive to them becoming a Demiurge through their own magical skills, if a non-mortal becomes one it is through the same obsessive means of creation that other mortals have pursued in the past.

When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

Comment

Honestly, if I was going to give a Demiurge a character sheet, I would give them Magnitude. Even if Demiurges are driven by a different obsession than Alchemists, Magnitude is just such a convenient mechanic for mortals who's obsession has allowed them to steal a trickle of Divine Fire.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

They may not have had any Magnitude before they made a Promethean; but yeah, I could see them earning a dot as they conduct their first genitive act. And unlike in 1e, I'd have no problem with them repeating the process, so long as they retain their Magnitude.

(Honestly, I've never liked calling it “Magnitude”; even “Drive” would be better.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                            (Honestly, I've never liked calling it “Magnitude”; even “Drive” would be better.)
                            Note: One definition of Magnitude is "the logarithmic measure of the brightness of an object", so to me it makes sense in that it's how bright the alchemist's flame is.

Comment

Yeah, Demiurges are their own thing that happen spontaneously, or at least if there IS a mechanism it's not well understood. I don't personally think it's really important as a mechanical distinction, because it's essentially a plot device that allows someone to create one (or two) Promeatheans.

I mean, I guess it would be pretty cool for a campaign if a Promethean ST created something like a Pilgrimage sort of thing for a prospective Demiurge to go through before they achieve the generative act (instead of the New Dawn) but that would be a pretty involved thing and in most cases it's just easier to not make it a part of gameplay.

Mage the Awakening 2e Communal Homebrew Threads:
                              - Perils of the Path - Other homebrew threads linked in the OP!

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

Working...
                              X