Demiurges, Alchemists, Mages, or what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
    Note: One definition of Magnitude is "the logarithmic measure of the brightness of an object", so to me it makes sense in that it's how bright the alchemist's flame is.
    Here's another:

LFP: American Carnage (Werewolf: the Forsaken)

Comment

First edition did have vampire, werewolf and mage demiurges.

Comment

Right. But mage demiurges, in particular, had to abstain from using magic in order to make a Promethean; and if they succeeded, they risked ending up as Sleepwalkers.

Comment

They seemed to be better tasked to handle making 'proper' lifeforms. There's a created being in the mage Night Horrors book that is considered a homunculus, though it acts somewhat like a golem. It's a man-shaped being that goes about its duty and is able to pretend to be human, does not suffer the problems Prometheans do but obviously doesn't have the Azoth or Pyros.

Comment

Is there a Demiurge*template or is it something any one can do?

I could see a Changeling building a Hedge Spun Automation accidently creating a Promeathan by using Pyros in its creation.

Comment

It's something any mortal can do; try to bring supernatural powers into the equation, and you won't get a Promethean.

Comment

I would say that demiurges could be anything. Alchemists, mages whatever. The chaotic nature of the divine fire can touch even the most awakened of minds in my personal chronicles of darkness if they're obsessed enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  It's something any mortal can do; try to bring supernatural powers into the equation, and you won't get a Promethean.
                  When 2e addresses supernatural creators in the Extempore writeup, it leaves the use of powers open.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
                    When 2e addresses supernatural creators in the Extempore writeup, it leaves the use of powers open.
                    Do second edition Prometheans still need to replicate the means used to make them to make another, or is that more open too?

Comment

Multiplicato is a necessary milestone, but Prometheans debate whether it means creating a new Promethean or spreading what you know by teaching another Promethean.

The big Extempore problem is that no Extempore is known to have returned from the River of Death, another necessary milestone.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                        Is there a Demiurge*template or is it something any one can do?
                        As I mentioned earlier, if I was going to stat out a Demiurge, I would use the Alchemist template. Demiurges and Alchemests are both otherwise ordinary people who's obsession is strong enough that they are able to steal Divine Fire. The biggest difference is what they're obsessed with, but I think the Magnitude rules work well in either case.

That said, there's no reason you couldn't make a Demiurge with a major gameline template - this is Promethean, after all, there are no hard and fast rules about how the Divine Fire operates. In my games, a vampire Demiurge (for example) would be an anomaly, but not impossible.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          In my games, a vampire Demiurge (for example) would be an anomaly, but not impossible.
                          Had mage Demiurge ( from Pygmalian Society Legacy ) in LARP long before books told me not too. Plan to throw some, if need for my crossover plot in New Englad game.

LGBT+ in CoD games
                          Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                          Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                          Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                          My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
                            Multiplicato is a necessary milestone, but Prometheans debate whether it means creating a new Promethean or spreading what you know by teaching another Promethean.
                            What I meant was if they do create a new Promethean, do have to use the same method that was used to create them?

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                              What I meant was if they do create a new Promethean, do have to use the same method that was used to create them?
                              Hendaid Bran's giving life to Sunny suggests the answer is "no."

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                                The only mention is that Prometheans can rely on their creation ritual to create progeny.

However, sometimes a Promethean inadvertently incorporates a supernatural element into the ritual (performing it in a haunted graveyard, using body parts from a supernatural, etc.), and assuming it doesn't fail, the result might be an Extempore rather than a member of the creator's Lineage.

Comment

Working...
                                X