Pitch me your Azoth 10 Prometheans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch me your Azoth 10 Prometheans

So I'm always curious when I see the Power Stat (BLood Potency, Primal Urge, Gnosis, Azoth, etc.) table, about what an individual with a Power Stat of 10 would be like. All lines offer various challenges to such high power level, but for Promethean I think there's the additional one of explaining why such a powerful individual hasn't completed the pilgrimage yet.

That being said, have you ever used or thought of an Azoth 10 Promethean in your game? I'd be curious to hear some ideas on the topic

Azoth is orthogonal to progress on the Pilgrimage; that's solely reflected by the Pilgrimage trait and the number and variety of Roles you've completed. In fact, the downsides to high Azoth (notably, attracting Pandorans and triggering Firestorms) arguably make it harder to progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Azoth is orthogonal to progress on the Pilgrimage
      It adds a precious die to the New Dawn roll and is the primary limiter on at least two of the more common manifestations of a universal milestone, as well as being part of both dicepools for Elpis visions.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

When I think high-powered Prometheans, I always think of this example NPC from Book of the Dead that's just a huge Pyramid Head-esque Frankenstein that lumbers around the Southwest looking for someone strong enough to defeat it in battle. Problem is, it's really strong, and so it just keeps killing the people and things that challenge it and getting even stronger, and it can't progress on the Pilgrimage because it hasn't achieved the Milestone of being beaten.

A good question to ask when creating very powerful Promethean characters might be "what is the step on the Pilgrimage that they haven't managed to take? Where are they stalled, what's standing in their way?"

e: As I was looking at rules with an eye to making a character, I realized that an Azoth 10 character is going to be creating massive, region-spanning Wastelands every time they:
        • Go a day without achieving a Milestone or changing Refinements
        • Spend 1 single point of Pyros in a scene
        And the Wasteland Festers every time they do those things again or spend a day in the same place, so there are going to be a lot of apocalyptic Firestorms in their wake. On the one hand, this is a cool hook and makes Azoth 10 Created suitably legendary and terrifying to track down, but you're also probably going to want to put them in Antarctica or the Empty Quarter moreso than say, a goth nightclub in NYC.

Those effects can be mitigated with Benign Festering and Hovel, and being in a branded throng, if you want to include an Azoth 10 NPC in a more social way.
        Last edited by Caladriu; 08-30-2016, 03:00 PM.

2E Legacy Updates
        Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
        Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
        Storm Keepers

Comment

My idea for an ancient Promethean in 1e was a Galatea with the Heart of Stone Bestowment or whatever (the one where you turn into a statue) that had Repute as being "The Weeping Angel".
          Here's the notes on the sheet (complete with the obvious references)
          Originally posted by My old Dalines sheet
          Athletics - Running
          "I think the reason I'm still alive after all these years is because I do an awful lot of running."

Persuasion - Reputation
          "I've seen the world burn at least a hundred times now. I've fought on both sides of wars and seen a nation rise and others fall to rise again. I've seen enough death, and hurt, and sadness, and tonight, just once, everybody is going to live."

Intimidation - Reputation
          "I am the Weeping Angel. The Roving Pyroclasm. I've burned monster nests to the ground and lead demons to death. I've brought up and torn apart villages and towns. I'm a walking storm. A nightmare on the lips of abominations among abominations. I'm over two hundred years old, born in a cemetery and death seems to follow in my wake. And you're standing in my way. That is not a very safe place to be."

Repute - The Weeping Angel, The Roving Pyroclasm, The Lonely Statue, The Walking Storm
          Having lived a long life, the nameless Created has gathered a lot of names. He's been around for the Revolution, stowing away on a ship when the Declaration was sent to King George. He had a hand in the treaty at Appomattox, having fought on both sides of the Civil War. Getting away from America, he was there when Franz Ferdinand was shot, and walked the trenches, clearing out Pandorans created by overzealous Created during the war. By then, he'd already gotten a reputation, a man who refused to take up arms for either side--having gotten enough of bloodshed in the Americas
          Man, some of that is really poorly written.
          As for "how are you still not Human", it's simply a matter of worry, fear, and of wanting to be a Bodhisattva.

Dataweaver Caladriu You're forgetting that Prometheans can willingly lower their Azoth. Which really just kind of makes Hovel an unnecessary merit, or at least unnecessary to be ranked.
          Also, what Pyramid Head-esque Frankenstein? I don't remember anything like that in Book of the Dead, though Book of Pandora has a Sublimatus with an icosohedron for a head named The Kaiju.
          Last edited by Aspel; 08-31-2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Could you provide a 2e page reference for that, please? Last I checked, Going to the Wastes (1e's method of lowering Azoth) didn't make it into 2e; so either I missed it, or 2e replaced it with some other method of lowering Azoth that I missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspel View Post
              Also, what Pyramid Head-esque Frankenstein? I don't remember anything like that in Book of the Dead, though Book of Pandora has a Sublimatus with an icosohedron for a head named The Kaiju.
              Sparser details than presented, but it's on page 50 in the list of example non-SE characters that might know the keys to Avernian Gates:

He wanders the American Southwest, though his name refers to a specific city. Known as the Ghost of Galveston, he’s been searching for 200 years for someone tough enough to kill him and send him to the River of Death. In that time, he’s had offers from beings he can’t identify to open gateways that would lead to this river, and he remembers what he’s been told almost flawlessly. He might share his knowledge, but this Promethean, older and more powerful than many of his kind ever become, is bitter, spiteful, and dangerous, and wants nothing more than a fight to the death — his death.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Dataweaver Page 168, Dampening the Fire. You suppress it to any level you want for 24 hours and then after that you can return it to full power.

Comment

A friend and I looked at the new dawn rules and mused an Azoth 10 promethean. You see, being human wasnt enough, for it learned that humams strive to be better than themselves. It sought to be the best human--the platonic ideal of humanity. It walled the world for a hundred years before walking back from the dead. It achieved every role and wraught every transmutation into its form. All milestones were completed. This promethean maintained Pilgrimage 10, it cleaved so close to its goal.

Then that promethean picked up its bucket of dice... rolled every single one... and not a single success.

With every milestone completely achieved this Promethean has no idea how to continue on the pilgrimage. Over the years it became Centimani. It desperately *wants* to continue the pilgrimage, but it doesnt want to get locked in a role its completed.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulGambit View Post
                    A friend and I looked at the new dawn rules and mused an Azoth 10 promethean. You see, being human wasnt enough, for it learned that humams strive to be better than themselves. It sought to be the best human--the platonic ideal of humanity. It walled the world for a hundred years before walking back from the dead. It achieved every role and wraught every transmutation into its form. All milestones were completed. This promethean maintained Pilgrimage 10, it cleaved so close to its goal.

Then that promethean picked up its bucket of dice... rolled every single one... and not a single success.

With every milestone completely achieved this Promethean has no idea how to continue on the pilgrimage. Over the years it became Centimani. It desperately *wants* to continue the pilgrimage, but it doesnt want to get locked in a role its completed.
                    The notion that there is a finite number of milestones bothers me more than it should. Specially considering that reaching some understanding of why he failed, or leaving the Path of Flux would be the next chance for the New Dawn.

Comment

I'd go with the notion that failing the New Dawn check “resets” part of the Pilgrimage, leaving one or more Roles to be mastered once more, with new Milestones.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspel View Post
                        Dataweaver Page 168, Dampening the Fire. You suppress it to any level you want for 24 hours and then after that you can return it to full power.
                        Well, there you go. That does pretty much render Hovel moot, doesn't it?

Comment

oh what would a (Stereotypical) Galateid with Azoth 10 look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

Well, there you go. That does pretty much render Hovel moot, doesn't it?
                            Not necessarily. Hovel still comes with a Safe Place, time spent in one doesn't count towards causing or festering a Wasteland, and it doesn't come with the -3 Social penalty with other Created. Dampening the Fire doesn't help with any of that.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                              oh what would a (Stereotypical) Galateid with Azoth 10 look like?
                              It must be someone who creates absolute hysteria from being present, like the biggest movie/music stars in a packed place. Not someone I'd like to be,

Comment

Working...
                              X