Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding 2E: Are Wastelands really tiny now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding 2E: Are Wastelands really tiny now?

My memories of 1E are a bit fuzzy at this point, but IIRC, the (admittedly convoluted) wasteland rules there defined them as consisting of up to five bands of intensity, each (Azoth) in miles radius. While I've never gotten the privilege of running a Promethean game, I do love them so, and I always end up incorporating them into my other campaigns as NPCs, somehow. That wastelands could be pretty expansive, even while running at relatively low levels of effect, has always served me well as a great hook.

I'm trying to make sense of the 2E rules. The starting size, up until Azoth *7*, is no larger than a single building. With sufficient Festering, a Wasteland generated by an Azoth 3 Promethean could, eventually, expand to this point, though only at the greatest level of severity before a Firestorm kicks in. This seems.. really, really tiny! Is this reading correct?

(Yeah, I know, rule of cool for your table and whatnot, particularly as NPCs, but I prefer to observe the spirit of the text whenever possible.)

Other than this particular concern, I'm really enjoying this edition, and I'm more inspired than ever to try to wrestle it to the table, someday.

It's a change designed to make Prometheans more playable as PCs.

Comment

And to allow a game to take place in a single city, even if you screw up a few times and create Wastelands.

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
      Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
      Keywords: Mute
      Duration: Instant
      Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

They are definitely smaller in 2E, and as an ST, I feel that it's a big improvement.

2E Legacy Updates
        Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
        Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
        Storm Keepers

Comment

I'm still inclined to lean up toward neighborhood scale when it starts getting bad instead of a single building. It should be something that creates a real problem for surrounding people leading to conflict for an over sedentary, power-expending, Promethean, as opposed to just messing with their house.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Mm. Yeah, I favor larger areas, but then again I'm also considering decoupling Wastelands from Extreme Environments because I know full blown Wastelands are supposed to be dramatic and all that but the lethality of Extreme Environments shoots up dramatically at level 3, to the point that it will kill everyone who doesn't leave within the day, and it'll stay that way for a week -minimum-.

Mage the Awakening 2e Communal Homebrew Threads:
            - Perils of the Path - Other homebrew threads linked in the OP!

Join us at the unofficial IRC channels on.irc.sorcery.net at #exalted and now #theonyxpath!

Comment

I'm pretty surprised Wasteland wasn't just an environmental Tilt, to be honest.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                I'm pretty surprised Wasteland wasn't just an environmental Tilt, to be honest.
                Charlaquin, how would you then treated it, instead of Extreme Environments?

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
                MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
                MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Working...
                X