Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do the rules for character creation work exactly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do the rules for character creation work exactly?

I had the idea for a Promethean that would be at best interesting but odd, and at worst a completely horrible idea. The character I had in mind, was a newly created Promethean boy, who appearance-wise, looks to be around 13-15 years old, a child. Part of the problem is, I didn't have an idea that perfectly matches any of the lineages, rather he would be a hybrid of two. Galatea and Frankenstein, to be exact. The way I envisioned the character, is as a mixture of air and lightning, but the big problem is what I wanted to do with his bestowment, humour, disfigurement, and element.

I was imaging his element being Air, his humour being Sanguine, but his bestowment being either Unholy Strength or Spare Parts. I don't even know if doing that is possible. Appearance-wise, he would look beautiful from a distance, he would be much like the Galateans, however his actual disfigurement, would be like that of the Frankensteins, he looks like a patchwork corpse. Appearance-wise, to best explain it, he would look like a beautiful sculpture of a human boy made out of dead flesh, but it would be little more than an imitation. If I had to assign him a Lineage, I would say he's a Frankenstein, but a very peculiar Frankenstein at that. As for his refinement, I was kind of envisioning him starting out on Aurum, he'd be played most likely as an incredibly energetic, if slightly strange child first learning to walk, talk, and interact with the world.

As for how he would be created, I kind of envisioned him as the child/creation of a Galatea.

The Extempore rules are there for a reason.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Yup, you can do all of this with an Extempore.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense.I don't know if that's how I'd want to do it though. I was referencing page 29 of Saturnine Night, while writing the character up. The paragraph Avoiding Reinventing the Wheel, it presents a scenario, not unlike what I just described. I'd kind of envisioned a Frankenstein, with traits in common with a Galatea.

Comment

Originally posted by PunkManiak View Post
          Okay, that makes sense.I don't know if that's how I'd want to do it though. I was referencing page 29 of Saturnine Night, while writing the character up. The paragraph Avoiding Reinventing the Wheel, it presents a scenario, not unlike what I just described. I'd kind of envisioned a Frankenstein, with traits in common with a Galatea.
          Then do that? You're not really asking anything here.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I'm mostly just checking if it would be possible to have it work that way, or rather if having his bestowment not match up with his element and humour, is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by PunkManiak View Post
              I'm mostly just checking if it would be possible to have it work that way, or rather if having his bestowment not match up with his element and humour, is problematic.
              By the normal rules? No, it's not possible for a Frankenstein to have Sanguine Humour or a Galataed to have Unholy Strength or Spare Parts as a Bestowment. But, Extmpore exist specifically to allow you to create characters that mix-and-match parts you like from different Lineages and/or create your own Humours and Bestowments if you want. If that still doesn't suit what you had in mind, you can houserule it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say go for it. Galateids are sometimes made from multiple bodies too, so Spare Parts isn't entirely out of keeping. Given their associations, you could probably work in some comparisons to beauty treatments and cosmetic surgery along the way. (Maybe replacing a body part for the first time will be a milestone, or maybe replacing it for a particular reason will be?).

Maybe the Galatea genitor wanted to create a Promethean that could be a son (their stereotype is of lovers, but family's a powerful love too), and it was enough of a milestone for them that it granted the offspring Lineage (and thus Azothic Memory) rather than resulting in a "normal" Exptemporae. Though that implies he should be a Galatea rather than a Frankenstein.

Comment

Despite their moniker, there's nothing saying that all Frankensteins are wretched in appearance. I used to play a Frankenstein with Striking Looks who pretty much walked out of a Boris Vallejo painting.

Also most Bestowments can be purchased as separate Transmutations.

Comment

Working...
                  X