Pilgrimage question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilgrimage question

Do most Prometheans eventually complete their Pilgrimage and become human? Or is it a rare event, like Golconda for vampires?

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

It's PCs official goal - depending on number of players, at least one to five Prometheans will accomplish it in game.

In serious, 2E is constructed in that way that any Created need to become human - or die trying. Only Centimani are not striving for Mortality ( by 2E corebook ). Even if Created would delay or stick to Role, Quashamllim will come to him and MAKE HIM to continue Pilgrimage.

So, by default, almost all Prometheans try to become humans - those that do not, are dead.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-07-2016, 09:28 PM.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      It's PCs official goal - depending on number of players, at least one to five Prometheans will accomplish it in game.

In serious, 2E is constructed in that way that any Created need to become human - or die trying. Only Centimani are not striving for Mortality ( by 2E corebook ). Even if Created would delay or stick to Role, Quashamllim will come to him and MAKE HIM to continue Pilgrimage.

So, by default, almost all Prometheans try to become humans - those that do not, are dead.
      Not really. Quashmal will come and try to make them go back on track, but players still have agency. Prometheans not actively striving for humanity still stumble upon milestones every here and there and thus still walk the pilgrimage, just not so actively as others.

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
      Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
      Keywords: Mute
      Duration: Instant
      Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

Originally posted by JulianMoon View Post
        Do most Prometheans eventually complete their Pilgrimage and become human? Or is it a rare event, like Golconda for vampires?
        I think that's up to the Storyteller and the tone they want for the game, honestly.

Eric Christian Berg
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Promethean: The Created Second Edition, Dark Eras Companion

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum Opus View Post

Not really. Quashmal will come and try to make them go back on track, but players still have agency. Prometheans not actively striving for humanity still stumble upon milestones every here and there and thus still walk the pilgrimage, just not so actively as others.
          I mean, they will eventually die if they don't complete their Pilgrimage. Of course, they'll eventually die if they do complete their Pilgrimage. Everyone will eventually die if they don't become vampires, Wyrd 10 Changelings, or Liches. But I think Wyrd is referring to the fact that Prometheans have a 100 year shelf life in 2e. Which is a pretty reasonable lifespan, to be honest.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianMoon View Post
            That's kind of up to the Storyteller. But I would say that the default assumption is that it's definitely more common than Golconda - the New Dawn is at least known to actually be possible. Golconda was just a myth in 1st edition, and isn't even mentioned in 2nd. The other thing to keep in mind is that even if most Prometheans do eventually achieve the New Dawn, it's still incredibly rare, because Prometheans are incredibly rare.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              The other thing to keep in mind is that even if most Prometheans do eventually achieve the New Dawn, it's still incredibly rare, because Prometheans are incredibly rare.
              I just want to say that nowhere in second edition is it written any estimated number of Prometheans. So while yes it's rare, it's probably a lot more common than the 100 that many people are throwing around. Even a few thousand would only be a drop of water in the ocean of humanity.

Comment

I just want to say that nowhere in second edition is it written any estimated number of Prometheans. So while yes it's rare, it's probably a lot more common than the 100 that many people are throwing around. Even a few thousand would only be a drop of water in the ocean of humanity.
                Yes it is, on Page 12.

"At any given time, there might be one hundred Created walking the Earth. That means that most Prometheans are probably solitary folks. When a Promethean finds a throng, she sticks with it, even if the throng includes Prometheans that she’d normally not want to hang out with."

Comment

I mean, they will eventually die if they don't complete their Pilgrimage. Of course, they'll eventually die if they do complete their Pilgrimage. Everyone will eventually die if they don't become vampires, Wyrd 10 Changelings, or Liches. But I think Wyrd is referring to the fact that Prometheans have a 100 year shelf life in 2e. Which is a pretty reasonable lifespan, to be honest.
                  I haven't been able to give 2E more than a surface read yet, but if Prometheans are limited to a century of life are there any ways for them to extend that lifespan? Also, is Frankenstein's Monster still running around like he was in 1E? As he would seem to be a noteworthy exception.

Comment

Yes it is, on Page 12.

"At any given time, there might be one hundred Created walking the Earth. That means that most Prometheans are probably solitary folks. When a Promethean finds a throng, she sticks with it, even if the throng includes Prometheans that she’d normally not want to hang out with."
                    Uh.... my bad I guess.

I'll just ignore that thing then.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                      I haven't been able to give 2E more than a surface read yet, but if Prometheans are limited to a century of life are there any ways for them to extend that lifespan? Also, is Frankenstein's Monster still running around like he was in 1E? As he would seem to be a noteworthy exception.
                      I may be misremembering. Trying to find the quote now, but it's eluding me.

EDIT: Found it! Page 170, "Prometheans do not keep the fire burning forever. After about a century in her condition, the fire quenches and she ceases to be if she has yet to attain true mortality. Additionally, this clock resets if she Returns (see p. 169). This could add another theoretical century to her life."
                      So actually, it's 200 years tops for most Prometheans, and theoretically infinite years for Osirians (and Extempore) with the Revivification Beatowment, since they can just keep dying and coming back.
                      Last edited by Charlaquin; 10-07-2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Well, 2E corebook to me sound that no, sooner or later Quashmallim will come to you and make you restart Pilgrimage, as it's obsession of Principle. They will haras every Promethean till he will return to Pilgrimage or become Centimani.

Buy hey, I'm maybe reading it bad as I'm one of those evil transhumanists in game fandom that feel Pilgrimage should have other endings than Humanity alone. Or that some Created should be able to forsake it in relative peace without become Centimani.

Official stand of 2E corebook on topic's subject is that almost all Prometheans striving to become humans - rest is dead, will be harassed by 'Angels' or 'mad' on Refinement of Flux.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                        MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
                        WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                          Buy hey, I'm maybe reading it bad as I'm one of those evil transhumanists in game fandom that feel Pilgrimage should have other endings than Humanity alone. Or that some Created should be able to forsake it in relative peace without become Centimani.
                          ​I've warned you about stirring the shit pot before. This is inviting an argument even if you are just making a joke. Don't do it again.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                          Posts in this color are moderator posts
                          Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                          Forum Terms of Use
                          the Contact Us link.

Comment

Worth noting: qashmallim only attempt a Mission once. A Promethean who has stalled out on his Pilgrimage will get one visit from the agents of the Principle; and if that fails to persuade him to get back on the Pilgrimage, that's it.

Comment

"Prometheans do not keep the fire burning forever. After about a century in her condition, the fire quenches and she ceases to be if she has yet to attain true mortality. Additionally, this clock resets if she Returns (see p. 169). This could add another theoretical century to her life."
                              So actually, it's 200 years tops for most Prometheans, and theoretically infinite years for Osirians (and Extempore) with the Revivification Beatowment, since they can just keep dying and coming back.
                              Huh. So that would imply that the Creature could still be around, but would have a couple of years left at most. That strikes me as the most interesting possibility, now that I think about it.

In answer to the OP, enough Prometheans manage it that any given one is justified in thinking they have a good shot at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X