Abstract Pilgrimages and endpoints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abstract Pilgrimages and endpoints

I was wondering, what would be the best way to handle a Pilgrimage that doesn't involve a physical change or a change to another type of being? One that's solely about an internal transformation, or an external sort of goal, like building up an organization or making a major discovery? Basically, what would be some good plot arcs for a Promethean who's relatively satisfied with the state of being a Promethean?

This also gets into the "endpoint" problem with Pilgrimages, but I think that's easier to deal with than I assumed it was. When a player completes a Pilgrimage traditionally, they switch to Integrity, and completing it in another way switches to a different integrity stat, but I see no reason why a player shouldn't be able to choose to "reset" their Pilgrimage, and start over at Pilgrimage 0 focused on a different goal.

What's wrong with using the Aspirations mechanic for this sort of thing? Not every goal that a Promethean pursues needs to be tied to the Pilgrimage stat.

Comment

You could just have them refine their internal alchemy causing their pyros to become more stable, resulting in their curse weakening in some way and resets their 100 years of life. Then once they've removed all the aspects of their curse their final new dawn changes their pilgrimage to integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        What's wrong with using the Aspirations mechanic for this sort of thing? Not every goal that a Promethean pursues needs to be tied to the Pilgrimage stat.
        Well, I'm talking about a completely defining goal that a Promethean pursues. "Prometheans are unstable and need to use progress, goals, and personal transformation to keep the fire in check" is a pretty key part of the setting. I'm talking about things that would pretty much define what the Promethean would be doing, not things they're hoping for in the long term. So, for example, "find a way to redeem Pandorans" could be an aspiration, but as a Pilgrimage it would be the primary thing that the Promethean does.

Comment

But the examples you gave were things like constructing an organization or making a discovery. Those sound like Aspirations for sure.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Hm, yeah, I guess. I just kind of liked an idea of a Promethean who became so consumed by a goal that it came to metaphysically define them, and functioned as fheir mechanism for regulating their own instability. Milo's idea for a post-pilgrimage integrity switch solves most of the problems anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
              Hm, yeah, I guess. I just kind of liked an idea of a Promethean who became so consumed by a goal that it came to metaphysically define them, and functioned as fheir mechanism for regulating their own instability. Milo's idea for a post-pilgrimage integrity switch solves most of the problems anyway.
              You could take a leaf out of Mage's book. Give Prometheans a special kind of Aspiration that grants Vitriol Beats.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

That's a neat idea. Though I think I'd just fold that into Pilgrimage, since it's already such a fleshed out, organized mechanic for measuring progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                  That's a neat idea. Though I think I'd just fold that into Pilgrimage, since it's already such a fleshed out, organized mechanic for measuring progress.
                  The thing is, it measures a very particular sort of progress - that of the Great Work, refinement of the lead of your base creation towards the gold of humanity (or, for your hack, the gold of whatever it is you want to become.) It measures personal growth, identity development, and literal transformation of the self. Forming an organization or making a great discovery are just not that. They might be Milestones, I guess.

Comment

Hm, I guess I could just use Integrity or Identity for a Promethean who wasn't on a journey that involved some sort of physical transformation. I guess I kind of get from a storytelling and thematic perspective why the pilgrimage has to be connected to a physical transformation.

Comment

I think a compromise that incorporates Charlaquin's idea would be good- Prometheans not on a Pilgrimage can choose an Aspiration that gives them Vitriol. Might be cool to let them gain Vitriol that way even after New Dawn.

Comment

I did something very similar when I wrote up a stop-gap for Promethean before 2e was released. A second set of Aspirations can carry a lot of weight and design space, which is good. Working goals into new mechanics for CofD games tends to - I dunno, it limits the mechanics and skews them every time I see it done. It's much smoother and sensible to introduce a second Aspiration set for a given character-type, which lets you write the new mechanic (whatever it's adding to/replacing) without limiting yourself to those "goals."
                        It also lets you still refer to those Aspiration-sets in those new rules, which means you're both interacting with the system and encouraging players to do the same - which is good.

My Promethean Homebrew.

Yes, I made it the same way as a Promethean. No, the authorities haven't found me yet.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sticking with the "Defining Aspiration" system- a Promethean not on a pilgrimage can (and is strongly encouraged to, since finding a purpose and motivation is a major part of the game) select an Aspiration to be their Defining Aspiration, which they can gain Vitriol from. You can't do that if you're on a Pilgrimage, though, you don't get two avenues of Vitriol generation. And I think Pilgrimage should be more effective.

Comment

Working...
                          X