Alchemist PC Considerations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alchemist PC Considerations

Decided to make this its own thread, because it's something that's come up a lot, but some people object to it being brought up in other threads, so for that and the sake of practicality it might be helpful to make one thread for hashing out details.

So, some gameplay considerations:

In a mixed group of alchemists and Prometheans, what issues and possibilities arise? In an all-alchemist group?

Which events and actions do you think would cause Integrity breaking points for player alchemists? What got me thinking about this was Arcanist's homunculus thread, but I made it its own topic because I didn't want to bog that thread down with it, and it's a bit of a wider issue. So, what made me think of it was how creating a homunculus, using Arcanist's rules, could potentially be a breaking point, and it would be probably be a "transgression" if alchemists had their own integrity stat, since it involves creating semi-intelligent beings that are bound to their creator and limited in free will.

In addition to storytelling and gameplay considerations, new content is very welcome, such as alchemist-specific Merits or Conditions.

Note: this is NOT a thread to debate the issue of whether alchemists should be playable, or their presentation in the original material. Those things have been done, and we're not going to get anything done if we get stuck on them.

Also, any existing alchemist homebrew (such as Dataweaver's alchemist rules) is acceptable as a frame of reference, just say something like "if we use these rules, then..."

PC alchemists would probably be useful for checking out the town's alchemist scene when the throng enters a new settlement, so they can findout if there are any threats to the throng like alchemists wanting vitrol.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

In general, they'd probably be good as "faces" due to lack of Disquiet. Though alchemists are often maladjusted mad science-y types.

Comment

If memory serves, Alchemists are still affected by Disquiet so that might create some problems in an alchemist/promethean mixed group. In a full Alchemist group, I guess that one of the issues that would arise would be if any of the alchemists in the group became one of those maladjusted mad science-y types (which is what I would assume would happen if alchemist's had their own integrity stat and it reached zero).

Comment

Originally posted by Ever Professional View Post
          If memory serves, Alchemists are still affected by Disquiet so that might create some problems in an alchemist/promethean mixed group.
          Maybe there could be an alchemist merit that allowed an alchemist to attune themselves to the disquiet of a single throng like the following:

Balance the Equation (* to *****)
          Prerequisite: Alchemist
          Effect: With enough dedication, alchemists can learn to tweak their chemical nature to be more acclimated to a frequency of disquiet. Select a promethean or sublimati you are aware of. When contesting disquiet of that promethean, a member of that promethean's throng, or that sublimati you gain a bonus on your dicepool equal to your dots in this merit.
          Last edited by milo v3; 10-23-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

That's cool, though I'd probably go with saying that Disquiet doesn't apply or applies less strongly to alchemists, since they have less of a problem with monstrous corpse chimeras.

Comment

That's a fair point, I was just unaware if they were effected or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                That's cool, though I'd probably go with saying that Disquiet doesn't apply or applies less strongly to alchemists, since they have less of a problem with monstrous corpse chimeras.
                That sounds like a cop-out to me. Disquiet is a supernatural alchemy thing, not something you just "nah I'm cool with you burning my soul because I mix potions" sounds rather weird.

Comment

Well, that depends on what themes you want to emphasize. If you want to go more into "monsters bonding with other monsters and outcasts", then I'd argue it works.

If you want alchemists/Demiurges and Prometheans to inevitably be enemies, then keep Disquiet, but if you don't, alter it. It all comes down to what kinds of stories you want to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                    That sounds like a cop-out to me. Disquiet is a supernatural alchemy thing, not something you just "nah I'm cool with you burning my soul because I mix potions" sounds rather weird.
                    It could be argued that a sufficiently experienced Alchemist could have made their soul resistant to burning, though.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

It could be argued that a sufficiently experienced Alchemist could have made their soul resistant to burning, though.
                      That was the logic behind the merit I posted, yes. Doesn't mean that all alchemists should automatically resist disquiet though.

Comment

Well, alchemists should be able to resist Disquiet or have a bonus to if you want them to. That's the ultimate consideration.

Comment

You could allow alchemists to enter Alchemical Pacts and be a part of a throng. Humans are balanced as far as their humours go, so that'd help the Prommies, it could explain the resistance to disquiet (towards their throngmates) but it would probably take its toll on the alchemist, either by burning Integrity or adding strange conditions to them.

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
                          Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
                          Keywords: Mute
                          Duration: Instant
                          Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

That would also be a good potential way to handle it. On that note, what sort of "toll" would being an alchemist exact on someone? I mentioned integrity breaking points that could come up for one earlier.

Comment

By the book, being an alchemist gives you persistent conditions (I'd say 1 per point of Magnitude). Conditions such as Paranoid are good picks, but I'd allow a player to pick any negative condition as a Persistent one. Stuff like Guilty, Distracted, maybe even Swooning if the player's got a good enough idea. And then there's the Conditions that are not written; maybe the Alchemist starts doing Disquiet around him. Maybe she wakes up pandorans. Maybe they're addicted to Flux.

Another good way of "taking toll" on an alchemist would be to chew on their maximum Integrity. Or removing their Virtue. Or changing fundamental parts of themselves - maybe they did an experiment which immunized them to poisons, but also destroyed their ability to digest food. How do they gain sustenance now?

Being an Alchemist should be a double-edged sword. More powers = more weaknesses (or losing other powers, like in the Virtue example)

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
                              Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
                              Keywords: Mute
                              Duration: Instant
                              Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

Working...
                              X