Kryptae and Se'irim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kryptae and Se'irim

Here's a 2E adaptation of some rules from Pandora's Book (pages 44-46) that I always liked. Feel free to check out that book for the full scoop on them.

Kryptae are natural animals and plants that have been tainted by Flux into something like a Pandoran. They appear to be normal, healthy examples of their species on the surface, but medical examination reveals a hard stone inside them called a bezoar, formed by exposure to Flux. An animal might develop a bezoar by eating a Pandoran's fresh corpse, or being exposed to a Lilithian Firestorm. Plants might develop a bezoar by growing in soil tainted by the Flux leaching from a Pandoran corpse, or germinating and growing within a Wasteland.

When an animal or plant with a bezoar is exposed to Azothic Radiance for a full minute, the bezoar uncoils and disseminates throughout its host's body, mutating it permanently into a creature of Flux. They develop a low cunning and a hunger for the Azothic flesh of Prometheans. Animals become vicious and violent, more likely to attack a stranger than run away, and plants become animate (though they cannot uproot themselves) and aware of their environment, if not "intelligent" as such.

Systems: When a plant or animal awakens as a kryptae, they gain the traits of a Rank 1 Pandoran. Their Size is that of their natural form. They typically have only one Dread Power, and its dots are equal to the Pandoran Rank/Wasteland Category/Firestorm Strength that created the bezoar. They cannot Divide or form praecipitati. Whenthey would be forced to enter Dormancy, they instead simply die. The Storyteller decides what happens if a kryptae could spend Vitriol to become a sublimatus.

---

Se'irim, derived from a Hebrew word that suggests both goats and demons, are Pandorans born from the flesh of animals rather than humans. Apart from ill-advised experiments with creating animal Prometheans, which are surely just a myth, they usually derive from proto-kryptae whose bezoar came from a Rank/Category/Strength 4+ source. When such a Flux-tainted animal dies and is buried near the corpses of other animals, the bezoar slowly poisons the earth, and the bodies may rip themselves into horrible animation. Alternatively, a mundane animal might accidentally consume the bezoar of a plant kryptae, die from the Flux poison, and birth a Pandoran from its corpse. In all cases, the new Pandorans have features of the animal that spawned them.

Systems: When a bezoar taints a corpse as described above, the Storyteller rolls the dot rating of the bezoar. Each success creates a single Rank 1 Pandoran, which usually enters chrysalis almost immediately with no Azothic Radiance nearby. Se'irim are normal Pandorans with the following restrictions: their Size is that of the originating animal minus 1, they cannot advance beyond Rank 3, and they receive half as many Dread Powers per Rank. The Storyteller decides what happens if a se'irim would become a sublimatus.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Yay. More options And I don't think I ever gave these a good look in the book.

Say, how would you handle Flux Rating by the way? I was planning on doing a conversion of it as well as Flux's effects on other supernaturals.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

My first thought is that I would map it much more closely to the Wasteland system as a consistent mechanic, and use the listed triggers of Flux taint in Pandora's Book as triggers for "Wasteland" growth or festering. Hitting Category 5 causes a Lilithian Firestorm.

2E Legacy Updates
      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
      Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
        My first thought is that I would map it much more closely to the Wasteland system as a consistent mechanic, and use the listed triggers of Flux taint in Pandora's Book as triggers for "Wasteland" growth or festering. Hitting Category 5 causes a Lilithian Firestorm.
        That's a good place to start. So, it would essentially be a 'shadow Wasteland'?

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
        X