Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secrets of the Covenants: Mandragora Garden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Yeah, but it doesn't say it sustains them indefinitely while the Acolyte is in the garden. It just sustains them indefinitely. With that wording, there's noting suggesting that the effect wouldn't persist when she leaves. Especially since the Acolyte can cast spells originating in the garden without needing to actually be there, it's clear that "the magic of the garden" isn't limited to the garden's physical presence.
    You're right, a lot more changes would have to be done for it to work out the way I saw in my head.

    Mandragora removed from the garden do wither and die, yes, but you don't need a potted plant to remotely cast spells in the garden. You can just do that.
    No not in the garden, but from the garden to another location where you've planted something.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by nofather View Post
      No not in the garden, but from the garden to another location where you've planted something.
      Oh! That's actually a really cool idea. It does say they whither and die if not cared for by a character with this Merit. So I wonder if you could have two or more characters with Mandragora gardens sort of cross-pollinate each other's gardens, transplanting a few plants from each into the other so they can all remotely perform rituals in each other's gardens.

      Also, it occurs to me that this would be a cool Merit to allow characters to share, like Safe Place.


      Onyx Path Forum Moderator

      My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

      Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        Oh! That's actually a really cool idea. It does say they whither and die if not cared for by a character with this Merit. So I wonder if you could have two or more characters with Mandragora gardens sort of cross-pollinate each other's gardens, transplanting a few plants from each into the other so they can all remotely perform rituals in each other's gardens.

        Also, it occurs to me that this would be a cool Merit to allow characters to share, like Safe Place.
        Expand that out into a network/society of Mandragora Gardeners.
        Many Leaves, One Tree.
        And if they have some kind of translocation ritual, now you have an amply reason why the Gallows Post went under.

        Even if it is only information, it gives new meaning to "I heard it on the grape vine".


        Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

        Comment


        • #19
          What if your garden consists of potted Mandragora in the back of a pickup? Bonus because plants thrive on C02.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Rathamus View Post
            What if your garden consists of potted Mandragora in the back of a pickup? Bonus because plants thrive on C02.
            Or a conversion van.

            Practically writes itself: An old-school hippie Embraced during the 60s, keeps the back of their van (windows tinted) full of Mandragora and other "herbs". Gets gas money by selling the plants less likely to whisper to you to herbalists, natural medicine affectionados, and stoners.


            Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

            Comment


            • #21
              Along with other rituals mentioned earlier, "Cloud the Watching Eye" is a good one to use to permanently ward your haven against scrying (or Auspex?) if there's a high presence of other blood sorcerers in your domain and/or if the owner of the garden is a paranoid type.

              Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              Practically writes itself: An old-school hippie Embraced during the '60s, keeps the back of their van (windows tinted) full of Mandragora and other "herbs". Gets gas money by selling the plants less likely to whisper to you to herbalists, natural medicine aficionados, and stoners.
              I can't love this idea enough.


              "There is the world of light, and the world of darkness. And some in the light prefer the darkness." — Loren Eiseley, The Night Country

              Comment


              • #22
                Or convert the ritual that keeps blood fresh, put a pond in your garden and store blood. (Yes this is a Theban ritual if I recall, but Cruac should be able to do it too.) Then put something akin to the rituals that let you get vitae when a weapon draws blood or when the target consumes blood onto the pond, or maybe some nice lily pads that are in the pond. Effectively increases your total vitae capacity, at the risk of mortals finding a blood filled pond or rival vampires finding it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  because of the intimate association a vampire must keep with such a garden, it becomes an extension of her body. Anyone attacking or otherwise harming the garden provokes her to frenzy as if they attacked her directly.
                  The book state also that the mandragora move, although slowly, so my question is, can this plant attack an intruder and acting as a defender of the garden?
                  If yes, what stats should I use for it?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Marcus View Post

                    The book state also that the mandragora move, although slowly, so my question is, can this plant attack an intruder and acting as a defender of the garden?
                    If yes, what stats should I use for it?

                    I'd say no, unless you cast some ritual on it, which gives him the capability.


                    My Bloodline conversions
                    My Houserules
                    Chronicles of Darkness Slack Team exists. PM me for invitation
                    Please comment on all of this.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I picture their movement and defense capability is extremely limited since they're rooted to the ground, they don't have any ability to grasp objects, and durable isn't a word you use to describe leaves and decaying vegetation. I'm in agreement with Griautis, unless they're animated by spell or other power their combat effectiveness is limited to providing minor environmental bonuses or penalties (always to the benefit of the owner) to movement or perception.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I agree. Thank you all

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Actually what I did with one of my characters was taking Garden specialty, then Interdisciplinary and Area of Expertise merits. That way, I could get a +2 die bonus to any roll where my garden feasibly helps me.


                          My Bloodline conversions
                          My Houserules
                          Chronicles of Darkness Slack Team exists. PM me for invitation
                          Please comment on all of this.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            This is a super cool merit, and it has some really neat crossover potential. Can you grow your garden in a Beast's Lair? What about the Hedge? What happens if you feed Vitae to a goblin fruit?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                              This is a super cool merit, and it has some really neat crossover potential. Can you grow your garden in a Beast's Lair? What about the Hedge? What happens if you feed Vitae to a goblin fruit?
                              All good questions, perhaps to be answered in the Crossover chronicles.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X