Bloodline Conversion- Mnemosyne

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline Conversion- Mnemosyne

Hey everybody! So, bit of a funny story: what with classes and all picking up in mid-October, I ran out of free time to work on bloodline conversions, and it got to the point where I forgot that I was as far along with my Mnemosyne conversion as I was, which also put me off of doing it. So I dusted it off my bloodline conversion document and realized that I had made some good headway with their crunch stuff. So I took some time this weekend to hammer it out and get this up.

So I still need to convert the Norvegi, the Cockscombe Society, Ligeti, and Deucalion. And after that, I'll start on the Covenant book bloodlines since Secrets of the Covenants got released. That should eat up most of my time through to the New Year and next semester, but I should be back to my bloodline-a-week schedule, and the Clan book bloodlines should be done by the end of January. But the good news is: I'm back for the foreseeable future!

So the Mnemosyne. A pretty solid bloodline, all things told. The biggest changes came with Meminisse. I consolidated the one- and three-dot abilities into one devotion because of their complimentary nature. It's not super powerful on its own, but you could get inventive with it, and it's helpful for using the other devotions and thematically ties into the idea of Mnemosyne creating invisible webs of influence. The two-dot ability got changed so that it affects all Skills, not just Mental Skills, because I figured abstract memories could also trigger muscle memory or give you a clue as to how an encounter is going to go down. The four- and five-dot abilities got consolidated, since they have similar scopes.

As always, leave your thoughts and comments!

Bloodline Conversion- Mnemosyne
    Knowledge is power. Blood contains power, and thus it also contains knowledge. Let me show you.

To the Kindred, memories are precious things. For many, memories are the only thing that remind them that they were once alive. As the ages wear on, and those memories grow more valuable, and those who possess them grow desperate to retain them. The Fog of Ages is not a certainty for any vampire, but why take the risk? What happens when a vampire emerges from torpor, and can no longer remember where he was born? What if what was and what may be become muddled? The Mekhet of the Mnemosyne bloodline never have to fear the Fog of Ages. Their memories are perfect, infallible things, for their memories are tied to the very Vitae in their veins. What is more, the Mnemosyne can consume the memories of those around them, and even twist those memories to their own purposes.

Background: Records that survived the fall of the Camarilla show that the Cult of Augurs granted privileges to members of the bloodline, and old stories tell of vampires with mastery of blood sympathy stepping out of the shadows from time to time to cure the madness of an elder, or to inflict it on another. They exist in small families, gathering rumors like dust among cobwebs. Historians of the Ordo Dracul identify them as the rank and file of the Moirai, but that ancient cult is long gone… supposedly. As the Mnemosyne age, their original personalities fade, until they become an abstract amalgamation of all the memories they have consumed over the centuries. It is said that people are the sum of the people we encounter in our lives. The Mnemosyne find this statement to be brutally ironic.

The Becoming: The nature of the Mnemosyne bane makes it difficult to discern any pattern in their Embracing patterns. However, many seemed to have had some connection to the occult, either as mortal practitioners or cult members, or had jobs in police work or, more recently, worked in genetics or developmental biology. Mental Attributes are almost always primary, with Social Attributes often coming in second. Skills like Occult, Intimidation, Empathy, and Investigation are valuable.

In the Danse Macabre: When not sitting at the center of cults like a spider in their webs, Mnemosyne often find themselves in positions of great importance and influence in a domain. Some become Hounds, taking a more cerebral approach to a duty that some consider to be little more than leg breaking. Others become occult mental therapists to elders of the domain, helping them to sort through memories that have become jumbled or lost over time. Others take more shadowy duties: personal cleaners to the Prince, wiping memories of Masquerade breaches from the minds of mortals- and incriminating knowledge from the minds of inconvenient Kindred. Ireneo Fuertes, Prince of Buenos Aires, is a Mnemosyne himself. Known more by reputation than by acquaintance, all Covenants both fear and desire the Mnemosyne for their power to consume and alter memories. The Invictus and Lancea et Sanctum value their abilities to verify ancient documents, while the Circle of the Crone and Ordo Dracul have mutual interest in vampires with esoteric abilities, and Carthians of a totalitarian bent salivate at the notion of a vampire as capable of altering memories as the Mnemosyne. A Mnemosyne should be cautious of covenants that shower her with gifts, for those gifts will often turn into daggers if she refuses any faction's overtures too brusquely.

Clan: Mekhet

Nickname: Keepers, Spiders (impolite)

Bloodline Bane: Blood is the font of knowledge. Vitae is the font of power. Mnemosyne are addicted to both, so it's not surprising that they have a propensity towards becoming addicted to blood. Once a Mnemosyne catches a glimpse of the knowledge contained within blood or Vitae, she becomes obsessed with drinking more, and diving further into the crimson pool of memories. Whenever a Mnemosyne tastes blood or Vitae, she must roll Resolve + Composure. This occurs with a -1 penalty for mortal blood, and a -2 penalty for Kindred vitae.

Bloodline Disciplines: Auspex, Celerity, Dominate, Obfuscate

Bloodline Gift: Meminisse
    Born of the marriage of Auspex and Dominate, Meminisse grants the user the ability to study the memories of those she has drunken from, and to manipulate those memories to deceive both the mind and the Blood itself. A Mnemosyne automatically learns Weave and Cut the Red Thread upon joining the bloodline.

Weave and Cut the Red Thread
    After tasting another Kindred's blood, a Mnemosyne can manipulate blood sympathy to enhance or lessen the bond between them. After tasting the subject's Vitae (it need not be directly from the subject), the Mnemosyne focuses on the subject's familial connection to her, and can choose to either strengthen the blood sympathy by a degree, or weaken it, which will affect both vampires. The subject will not necessarily realize any change, unless he or she succeeds on a Wits + Occult roll if the Mnemosyne enters torpor or meets Final Death and the subject senses it when he previously would not have, or fails to sense it when he previously would have. Vampires who are not Mekhet and have blood sympathy enhanced will automatically know what has happened if the Mnemosyne enters torpor or meets Final Death.

Cost: 1 Willpower
    Dice Pool: Intelligence + Occult + Dominate
    Action: Instant

Roll Results
    Dramatic Failure:
    The Mnemosyne not only fails to strengthen or weaken blood sympathy, but actually achieves the opposite effect of her intent, strengthening or weakening blood sympathy between herself and her subject by one degree of seperation.
    Failure: The Mnemosyne fails to affect blood sympathy between herself and her subject.
    Success: The Mnemosyne succeeds in manipulating blood sympathy, increasing or decreasing it by one degree.
    Exceptional Success: The Mnemosyne's understanding of the sympathy between herself and her subject is impeccible, and she strengthens or diminishes the blood sympathy between herself and her subject by two degrees. If this would carry her beyond once removed sympathy or no sympathy, she regains the Willpower expended for this devotion.

Echoes of the Past (Auspex @@@@)
    Now moving beyond surface impressions and tenuous connections, the Mnemosyne learns to draw upon the memories and experiences of those whom she has drunken from. When she is a certain distance away from those whose Vitae or blood she has consumed, she experiences a surge of mental images and impulses that she can attempt to interpret. She cannot yet view or relive individual memories, but she can now make use of others' experience: she is touched by an odd sense of deja vu as her body begins to respond automatically to a situation, she suddenly recalls a piece of information she never learned, or she knows what twists and turns a conversation will take.

Cost: None
    Dice Pool: Wits + Occult + Auspex
    Action: Instant

The Mnemosyne must be within 100 yards of at least one vampire with whom she has blood sympathy (natural or induced), or a mortal whose blood she has drunk.

Roll Results
    Dramatic Failure:
    The flood of images and instincts is without context, and the Mnemosyne is unable to mentally sift through them. She cannot decide which impulse or memory is useful to her, and she is left at a loss as to how to react. She suffers a -1 to all dice pools per applicable individual within 100 yards.
    Failure: The Mnemosyne does not receive any memories.
    Success: The Mnemosyne receives a +1 to all Skill rolls per applicable individual within 100 yards. This only affects Discipline rolls if any of the individuals are vampires or ghouls.
    Exceptional Success: the Mnemosyne receives a +2 to all Skill rolls per applicable individual within 100 yards. This only affects Discipline rolls if any of the individuals are vampires or ghouls.

This devotion costs two Experiences to learn.

Flow of Memories (Auspex @@@@@, Dominate @@@)
    This is the great power of the Mnemosyne: the ability to grant, take, or exchange memories with another vampire or mortal. This makes Mnemosyne excellent investigators and interrogators, but they can be seduced by the possibility to rid themselves or their own memories and take on those of others, becoming a gestalt personality created from dozens or hundreds of individuals.

Cost: 1 Willpower
    Dice Pool: Presence + Intimidate + Dominate vs. Resolve + Composure + Blood Potency
    Action: Contested and Extended; each roll represents one round.

The Mnemosyne must first state her intention: give another character one of her own memories, take another character's memory, or exchange memories.

Dice Results
    Dramatic Failure:
    The Mnemosyne's clumsy efforts result in her destroying some of her own memory without any benefit. She gains the Amnesia Persistent Condition, and can no longer recall any events that occurred in the past month.
    Failure: The Mnemosyne fails to make progress, or the target accrues more successes than then Mnemosyne.
    Success: A Mnemosyne who accrues ten successes succeeds in granting, taking, or exchanging a desired memory. Neither character involved can remember the memory that was lost. If either character loses a memory, they gain the Amnesia Persistent Condition with regards to the events of the memory, but nothing else. The characters are aware of a gap in their memory. The effect lasts for a week, at which point the memory is automatically restored, and the Amnesia Condition is resolved. The Mnemosyne can attempt to take the same memory again after it has been restored.
    Exceptional Success: A Mnemosyne who accrues fifteen or more successes not only succeeds in granting, taking, or exchanging a memory, but the effect can be made permanent if she so chooses. Amnesia acquired due to Flow of Memories is permanent until the Mnemosyne chooses to undo the power.

This Devotion costs four Experiences to learn.
    Last edited by Haberdasher; 12-21-2016, 08:57 AM. Reason: Altered the effect of a Success or Exceptional Success and fluff for Echoes of the Past

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

I am definitely giving this a good read later.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
      I am definitely giving this a good read later.
      Thank you kindly.

Comment

Really loving this - you saved me a lot of work here

Still, some questions...

Weave and Cut the Thread is learned automatically upon entering the bloodline - so why does it have Discipline prerequisites? Should it not have any?

I find Echoes of the Past confusing. The concept is that the vampire gains bonuses due to having memories of someone she is connected to, right? Why is that bonus limited to people within 100 yards? My take would be that the vampire gains bonuses when interacting with the very subject she has the memories of, not people physically near him.

Flow of Memories look good... but can a roll be both contested and extended? I don't know that well about minute mechanics details, but I just don't recall seeing a roll like that.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
          Really loving this - you saved me a lot of work here

Still, some questions...

Weave and Cut the Thread is learned automatically upon entering the bloodline - so why does it have Discipline prerequisites? Should it not have any?

I find Echoes of the Past confusing. The concept is that the vampire gains bonuses due to having memories of someone she is connected to, right? Why is that bonus limited to people within 100 yards? My take would be that the vampire gains bonuses when interacting with the very subject she has the memories of, not people physically near him.

Flow of Memories look good... but can a roll be both contested and extended? I don't know that well about minute mechanics details, but I just don't recall seeing a roll like that.
          I added the "automatically learn Weave and Cut the Red Thread" bit after initially writing the Devotion, because I felt like it would be a little lackluster as an ability you had to purchase with Experiences. I normally have the Kerberos, Khaibit, and Neglatu bloodlines pulled up as reference, but I forgot to do so this weekend. Chalk it up to me being a little rusty. Yes, Weave and Cut the Thread should not have Discipline prerequisites.

Echoes of the Past is modeled off of the Meminisse two-dot power, which gave a +1 Mental Skill bonus for each vampire you have blood sympathy with or mortals whose blood you have drunk within 100 yards after a successful role. I think the 100 yards is necessary to keep you from getting insane numbers of bonus dice to rolls. The idea is more that the vitae or blood of those you have drunken from is giving you faint memories that can aid you in your endeavors if you can parse through them, provided such individuals are close enough. The 100 yards is arbitrary, but it's a necessary limit on the devotion, as is the requirement of a role, to keep it from being too powerful.

Contested extended actions were a thing in 1e. The closest I can find in 2e is the rules for grappling, which requires both parties to make a roll every round. I wanted to suggest that the devotion requires a mental struggle between the user and the target. Maybe not the most elegant way to represent that mechanically, but I can't think of a better way to do it.

Comment

Oh, I completely misunderstood Echoes of the Past - I thought the bonus applied to literally everyone within 100 yards of the person the Mnemosyne is connected with, not all people the Mnemosyne is connected with within 100 yards of the Mnemosyne herself. Silly me.

I'd do it more like this, though: The Mnemosyne rolls Wits + Empathy + Auspex to synchronize herself with the memories of the vampires she shared blood sympathy with and mortals she has drunk the blood of or fed her blood to. On a success, she eases her interactions with the subject individuals and gains +1 to all rolls interacting with those individuals. On an exceptional success, she takes slivers of their memories into her to also gain +1 on all Skill and Discipline rolls that the individuals she connects with has at least one dot in. On a dramatic failure, she gets a -1 on all her rolls from the distraction caused by overloading memories.
            That probably is not what the 1E version does, because I haven't read its mechanics in the first place - I'm just making it up according to what I think fits the Devotion's name and fluff.

For Flow of Memories, maybe you could literally describe it as a Mental grapple - as in, it says that it uses the same rules for grappling, but substituting Mental traits for Physical ones. The memory editing effects would be then the equivalents of the grappling maneuvers (Damage, Restraint, Control Weapon, etc), which can be done after successfully establishing the grapple.. Exceptional success allows you to do one maneuver the moment you successfully hold a grapple.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
              Oh, I completely misunderstood Echoes of the Past - I thought the bonus applied to literally everyone within 100 yards of the person the Mnemosyne is connected with, not all people the Mnemosyne is connected with within 100 yards of the Mnemosyne herself. Silly me.

I'd do it more like this, though: The Mnemosyne rolls Wits + Empathy + Auspex to synchronize herself with the memories of the vampires she shared blood sympathy with and mortals she has drunk the blood of or fed her blood to. On a success, she eases her interactions with the subject individuals and gains +1 to all rolls interacting with those individuals. On an exceptional success, she takes slivers of their memories into her to also gain +1 on all Skill and Discipline rolls that the individuals she connects with has at least one dot in. On a dramatic failure, she gets a -1 on all her rolls from the distraction caused by overloading memories.
              That probably is not what the 1E version does, because I haven't read its mechanics in the first place - I'm just making it up according to what I think fits the Devotion's name and fluff.

For Flow of Memories, maybe you could literally describe it as a Mental grapple - as in, it says that it uses the same rules for grappling, but substituting Mental traits for Physical ones. The memory editing effects would be then the equivalents of the grappling maneuvers (Damage, Restraint, Control Weapon, etc), which can be done after successfully establishing the grapple.. Exceptional success allows you to do one maneuver the moment you successfully hold a grapple.
              I can understand the desire to have Echoes of the Past add Skill dots that the subject has, but that could require the ST keeping track of a lot of characters and their sheets, so I kept it as "flat +1 to dice rolls per subject." Though I do think, looking at it again, that I should specify that it should only affect Skill rolls. Otherwise, you could run into mortals giving you a bonus to Discipline rolls, which is silly.

Comment

All good - Say, do these guys have any more Devotions? Just wondering.

Comment

Just the three, I explained my rationale for that in the introduction. The Mnemosyne still basically have access to all five Meminisse powers, a couple of them have just been streamlined due to similar or complimentary effects.

Comment

Working...
                  X