Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TGUEIROS
    • Apr 2014

I think that if you have Eidetic Memory you can read super fast then sit down and meditate on it.

Useful if you only have little time with a document or something...

Comment

• Tabanese
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Gemstone View Post
      Regardless of that, how would you handle the situation with Quicken Sight and Celerity both turned on then?

My reading would be:
      When you activate Quicken Sight, you activate its parts. It is not a separate discipline, just a novel expression of pre-existing disciplines. Activating Celerity and Quicken Sight is basically activating Celerity and Auspex together. In the situation where you don't manifest Celerity's speed boast or other boons, it might appear as if you are using enhanced Auspex alone but Celerity is 'on'.
      So I'd handle it by saying that Celerity doesn't allow you to 'soak' the information you receive without Auspex. You aren't seeing bullets and avoiding them as an act of will. You are bringing forth the Beast and through a combination of Beastly reaction and just being hard to hit, your body avoids damage while the Man is along for the ride. To the Man, moving in Celerity is as strange as walking; it is something he does without any thought. Auspex (via Quicken Sight) adds the thought element. This leads into the discussion of Eidetic Memory...

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
      She can also absorb information faster. It still doesn't speed up complex logic. So she can read a book faster, but to really get it and comment on it, she needs to react at normal speeds.

Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
      I think that if you have Eidetic Memory you can read super fast then sit down and meditate on it.

First off, excellent idea bringing Eidetic Memory into this. It gives those who bought it a suitable 'hack' and I just love it.

The idea of 'read then ruminate' was what I was going for in my previous post. The idea is that, building off of what Rose said, Auspex gives you access to the 'thoughts' the Beast runs through while acting under Celerity. Basically, the Man makes a copy of all that useless info the Beast would otherwise scrap. Under my original reading, that was sufficient to have all the information. However, as it is just recording but not processing, I'm now of the opinion one needs to not only successfully remember what they read (and a whole book is something the mind would rather off-load) but you then need to think about it. For those with Eidetic Memory, the first step is auto-completed. They are use to remembering detail, so they only have to process it now. Whereas others have to get the idea right, then think about the idea. If they read something easy or familiar or just want the barebones, then the task is easy. If they try to blitz Hegel, they may just forget everything because Hegel is someone you process first in order to remember (unless you just brute-remember, which is the case with Eidetic Memory and why this step is auto-completed). So Johnny 5 is still possible, but now a little more unique as other traits are required in conjunction with the discipline requirement.

Returning to the original topic then, we can reconcile the need to process information with the inaccessibility of that information. If it is climbable under normal conditions, speed and reaction help. If it is not climbable, speed grants no boon. (Other than the sort suggested by Rathamus, which I would leave to ST-discretion as, depending on group knowledge, it may or may not be accepted as 'plausible'. I don't deny Rathamus' claims, just suggest that sometimes Reality is Unrealistic.) If you activate Quicken Sight, all you add is the capacity to note where the Beast planted their foot or what they grabbed. It wouldn't assist you at all in my opinion.

Lastly, to cap this off and after re-reading the Quicken Sight merit, the intent was never to give me vampire Johnny 5. Heck, you can even fail to succeed with this devotion, which would make speed reading unreliable if the check was page based. Don't know why I read it into that power but it isn't in the text. So, sorry about the derailment I guess. -_-

Comment

Working...