Home of the Strig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home of the Strig

Obviously I'm well aware that this thread will be highly speculative!... but I often wonder, what do you imagine the 'Home' of the Strig is like?

Is it a 'hell' of sorts, some sort of reflection of our own world yet more creepy and shadowy?

Is it another dimension, with another 'set' (to abuse set theory) which requires unique senses and shadowy physiology to even see it?

Is it the Abyss of Mage, or some realm within the Mage cosmology?

Would it be basically a big dark empty space, or would it have features?

Do you think the shadowy owls that live in that place have identity or culture, or do you imagine they take on these traits when separated from 'home?'

I don't imagine it as a place at all, more of a swirling cloud of strix in no place.

Comment

I like to imagine that the Strix come from a not place and the not place is a place full of shadowy entities other than the strix; this not place is where the void creatures that can be summoned via Cruac come from. Now this not place may come from the Abyss or possibly be a lower depth, and that'd depend on what would work best for the Chronicle.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        I don't imagine it as a place at all, more of a swirling cloud of strix in no place.
        Pretty much this. I kind of picture it as a nonplace of pure darkness and hunger, from which individual Stirges can sometimes split off and enter our world through the Dark Places.

A Mage might call it a Lower Depth devoid of Life, which it steals from our world in the form of Vitae.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

The book says they're not Spriits or Ghosts but I like to lump them in with Mage type Abyssal entities as all the other info about them screams Abyss.

Comment

Here's a story I put together (I think I've mentioned it in other topics), combining stuff from Mythologies, BtP, and VtR.

Before the Great Flood, when the world was still intact, young, and unfinished, the gods wished to bring fourth the means of punishing mortal transgressions over their divine word. They sent the Serpent from their midst to seek humanity, in the Gardens between Heaven and Earth, and taint its form. Brother attacked brother and bit him like a serpent until the soul was ripped apart from the flesh. So it was that the form of murder descended, from Above Below, and men turned clubs and stones against their fellow men.

But those who tasted the blood of their brethren only felt their thirst grow stronger, seeking nectars sweeter than what they could find running through mortal veins. The gods grew fearful, and cast murder’s form away from Creation, deep into the darkest parts of the Shadows and into the land called Nod. Therein it dwelt, itself blameless, among the shadow demons and the other horrors banished from the sight of gods. Murder fought these monsters nightly for whatever little sustenance it could come across, until the land itself changed it into a wandering demon of the plains known of Nod, and it came to be known as Lilû.

One night, Lilû was overcome with the smell of divinity mixed with blood and flesh most pleasant. Following its excited senses, it crossed the desserts of Nod, reaching a woman of unprecedented beauty. The Owls had gotten to her first, their talons and beaks stained and dripping with Vitae sucked out of her empty eye sockets and wounds on her immaculate skin. The woman spoke to Lilû, her speech overwhelmed with torment.

“Do not pity me, wanderer. For unlike you, I will one night leave this place.” she told it, struggling in agony for the air that crafted these words.

The demon did not speak, as denizens of Nod were not accustomed to human speech. It only stared at the woman with perverted lust and primal fear in its eyes.

“Have me, if you wish, so that I may carry your seed out of this land and end your exile, as well as mine.” she told him, her hollow eyes acknowledging Lilû as it nodded.

The woman slowly moved her legs apart invitingly. Lilû approached her, and the two became one, as the owls bit deeper into the woman’s flesh. Her terrible screams, and the screeches and sounds of the owl’s wings, drowned Murder’s moans of release. Her new consort breathing heavily over her, the woman let out ecstatic laughter as her eyes turned a bloody red. The seed she now bore was the Serpent’s.

She was now Lilith, mistress and mother to all birthed, or commanded in Nod, by Lilû. Murder now stood powerless before the demons of this land who once feared him.

“Now leave.” she said, pushing Lilû away; “My children wish to feast upon me.”.

The details of Lilû’s eventual escape from Nod are unclear. Only a story exists, telling us that it returned to Creation as it had first entered it, arising once more from dirt and fertile soil. Though Lilith was twice-damned, once by the Owls and once by the Serpent, it was Lilû and those who shared in his sin, that suffered most from the dangers that awaited them beyond Nod. Like their Dark Father, the Earth would reject his children, first under a crescent moon between the two rivers that birthed civilization.
            Last edited by stylanski; 01-08-2017, 12:38 AM.

Stand with Greece!
            Saif ul-Qabil(including rules for reaching Golconda)

Comment

What's all this then? Oh, I see, you're all making that old neonate mistake vis-a-vis thinking that Strix are properly speaking a thing.

The truth is that they are holes - a grand assortment of owlish maws, feeding on life and sin.

Dark Places isn't them returning home - it's just the thing on the other side opening wide. Pray you never see it smile.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                a Lower Depth devoid of Life, which it steals from our world in the form of Vitae.
                Originally posted by amechra View Post
                they are holes - a grand assortment of owlish maws, feeding on life and sin.
                Tomato, tomahto.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I think of it as a place of primordial nothing and darkness. How Strix multiply suggests, to me, what the places is. One big ball of nothing from which sometimes Strix break off like water drops. And they can just as easily return to their source.

I don't like giving things roots in Mage cosmology, though. Mage has its own antagonists. Let other splats have theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Maina View Post
                    I think of it as a place of primordial nothing and darkness. How Strix multiply suggests, to me, what the places is. One big ball of nothing from which sometimes Strix break off like water drops. And they can just as easily return to their source.
                    I like the how you described the home of the Strix, and I'll have to keep that in mind for my next Chronicle.

Originally posted by Maine View Post
                    I don't like giving things roots in Mage cosmology, though. Mage has its own antagonists. Let other splats have theirs.
                    Yeah, I understand that feeling. I think it stems from the big three world of darkness games (Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage) being likely for tables to play all three games. Lots of people try to find a way to make the settings fit together, and Mage is abstract enough for the other two to fall under Mage cosmology. I tend to try and keep mages from being the supreme authority on the world of darkness, but sometimes their terminology bleeds in.

Comment

If it helps, mages don't really understand the lower depths all that well. Most of the weird places get shoved in there.

Comment

Eh, everything's fine I guess. To me, the answer depends on one question : How do we want to use it and the strix in general ? If the strix are just going to be the shadowy menace that's more or less defined, then, the shadow realm can be some kind of negative space of owls from which pieces break occasionally and become strix.

But it can be other things depending on what's needed for the game. You might be tempted to send players there. Would a strix accept to use dark places to let them in, or would it be a trap, meaning the next games would be them trying to escape ? Then, you'd have to start thinking about how it's actually like there. Why do the strix come to our world ? Is it better than the shadow realm, which might be like a super boring dead zone ? Why would they be tempted to go back to it, then (using Dark Places) ? Are strix tourists, who come to our world to fuck shit up like people can go to Las Vegas to blow money and go home broke ? Are the strix drawn back to their home ? Is it some sort of nostalgia of being part of a primordial shadow thingy, an actual compulsion, like what drives changelings to go to Arcadia once they're all grown up ?

Personnally, while I didn't map out the shadow realm in any way, I like to think there is some sort of society with its own hierarchy there. Probably just based on how big and powerful the strix are. It's kind of mundane, sure, but it's relatable enough that they can be characters whose shoes I can put myself into as a GM. I don't see the shadow realm as much of a "place", but the way I used it in my last game, it was home to, like, giant strix. Strix old and powerful enough to make other strix obey them, venerate them actually. They're too big to pass through, though. I made Hantu one of those. A huge strix that came to earth long ago, became OP a,d eventually used Dark Places to go back to the shadows to take its place among the shadow gods. Now, it's decided vampires had to go and it wants to come back. It can't just open a portal, though, so it sends smaller strix to set things up for its return. It's basically owl Cthulhu, its shadow potency doesn't really register anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Maina View Post
                          To clarify, I did say "A Mage might call it" for a reason. Mages like to contextualize things within their frame of reference. The term "Lower Depth" is little more than a shorthand Mages use for "place that doesn't easily fit within the cosmos as we understand it." That a Mage calls a place a Lower Depth doesn't really mean much, beyond the fact that they didn't know what else to call it.

Comment

one of the options I use for Dis (as I call the strix' world) is a graveyard of the gods- that is where the dead immortals are buried, and from their gaping wounds the blood flows endlessly. From those rivers of ichor the Owls are birthed, and they carry the hunger of their dead masters to the world of the living in order to help those fallen divinities keep a semblance of life.

That is, of course, only one option for Dis which I use. I switch its exact nature from time to time, just to keep things fresh :P

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                            I now blog in here

Comment

Here is an option I came up with!

The Strix do not remember where they come from but it is a world unlike our own - a world that cannot be explored with our senses, and our bodies. It is therefore difficult to explain but suffice it to say it does have 'things' and 'locations' - it is not just an empty, dark world. No human eyes could see these things just as no human can really understand what a Cuttlefish perceives. It is a world suited for, and inhabited by, shadow-things.

When a Strix is wanders into our world, they do not remember where they come from. They enter into a world which is unsuited to the senses they are born with. Essentially they become blinded but do not remember ever being able to see. Thus, they become addicted to the senses of living things and corpses. Unable to 'feel', they desire nothing more than to usurp the feelings of others.

If a Strix was to be returned to the Darkness, they would be astonished at how well suited they were to it, like a fish being returned to the ocean after living in a bowl for a long time. This is why many Strix elect to return to the Darkness when they have the power.

Comment

Working...
                              X