Home of the Strig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
    Ghouls can survive visiting the Strix plane, which means it has to be at least habitable for Ghouls, that means air, warm enough they don't freeze to death, something to walk on so they can move about, ect...
    Where did you get this information from?

Also what do the Strix feed on while there?
    Having confirmation now that their place of origin is noted in the writer's bible as being a Lower Depth? Nothing. The place completely lacks the thing they feed on. That's why they want to leave it to come here.

Is the Strix Plane and the Void Creature plane the same? Because the little we learned about the Strix Plane in the core book suggests it inhabitable, otherwise visiting it would mean instant death to any ghoul who visited it,, even briefly.

The Void Creature Plane on the other hand from the fiction and merit seems deadly to none Void Creatures. They could be different locations of the same plane, the Strix dwell on the fringes, Void Creatures in the deadly heart for example, or another explanation entirely.
    I'm still not sure how what we learned about it from the core book suggests it's inhabitable to ghouls. But, in any case, whether or not it and the place Cruac voidmages draw their servants from are the same place is something for the ST to decide. Personally, I would say that they are the same (non)place, but if it suits the story to say they're not, then they shouldn't be.

Also it doesn't say if Void Creatures have blood potency or shadow potency like Strix.

Void Creatures also serve Kindred, whereas Strix oppose Vampires usually, although some Strix exploit Vampires instead or make deals with them, but the Strix are never willing servants of Vampires.
    If the void creatures are stirges, they're probably Shadow Potency 0. Almost more proto-stirges, in the same way Muthra are proto-spirits. They may lack the autonomy to act against the ritualists that summoned them. Besides, they're not totally obedient to their summoners. The Merit does say they rebel in little ways that make the Acolyte's life "interesting". That may be the most these little proto-stirges are capable of, either due to their own premature state of development or due to the magic of the Cruac style that summons them.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

"Anything with a taint of the Strix’s nature — Strix, vampires, and ghouls, for example — may cross over to the Strix’s world entirely by spending a Willpower point. The gateway only stays open for a scene, however, and anyone seeking the ancient Strix must cross back over in time or be lost."

If the Dark Place wasn't inhabitable by a Ghoul one who spent a willpower point and crossed over to the Dark Place, would simply die, no chance of returning before the scene was over.

It occurred to me that an interesting inspiration for the Dark Place would be the Upside Down from Stranger Things.

I actually like the idea of the Dark Place having other assorted horrors then the Strix.

The idea of proto strix is interesting, but I personally lean towards Void Creatures being a different species within the Dark Place, aside from being shadowy in their natural form, they don't behave like Strix or look like Strix, heck we don't even know how they feed to gain vitae.

Interesting thought, what if the Strix and the Void Creatures are enemies back in the Dark Place, like they hunt and feed on each other.
      Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01-16-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

"Anything with a taint of the Strix’s nature — Strix, vampires, and ghouls, for example — may cross over to the Strix’s world entirely by spending a Willpower point. The gateway only stays open for a scene, however, and anyone seeking the ancient Strix must cross back over in time or be lost."

If the Dark Place wasn't inhabitable by a Ghoul one who spent a willpower point and crossed over to the Dark Place, would simply die, no chance of returning before the scene was over.
        Ah, I see. Well, there's nothing about the gateway to the Other World from whence the void creatures come that suggests it would be inhospitable to creatures so Tainted as well. It only seems harmful to (and hungry for) living things. In fact, it being opened with a point of Willpower only seems to make the parallel stronger.

"With a point of Willpower, the gateway, which allows the oddity through, can also absorb others and drag them into a dark place of no return. This only works on living things; the other world doesn’t want for Kindred blood. Choose a victim when using this ability. The victim feels the pull of the unearthly, and must resist or be obliterated."

It occurred to me that an interesting inspiration for the Dark Place would be the Upside Down from Stranger Things.
        Interesting. I read the Upside Down more as the Hedge, or maybe the Shadow, personally.

I actually like the idea of the Dark Place having other assorted horrors then the Strix.

The idea of proto strix is interesting, but I personally lean towards Void Creatures being a different species within the Dark Place, aside from being shadowy in their natural form, they don't behave like Strix or look like Strix, heck we don't even know how they feed to gain vitae.

Interesting thought, what if the Strix and the Void Creatures are enemies back in the Dark Place, like they hunt and feed on each other.
        That could work. I prefer thinking of them as the Strix equivalent of Muthra and Plasms, but what ever works for you.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

That's not necessarily true.

Similar to Mage's Ghost Gate, or how ephemerals work, the portal could simply change those who pass through to make them more suitable for the environment, or lackthereof.

Comment

Technically, human beings can survive in outer space. Not for very long, but they can.

Comment

And if there's no time there they can survive indefinitely.

Comment

I could see it being possible with mages; they essentially break all established rules for humans. The mage in question would have to have the death arcana to count as tainted in my book. However I wouldn't allow a werewol to cross over because their shtick is spirits.

Comment

If a pack of werewolves had a strix for a totem they would have 'the taint of the Strix' nature,' about them.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    If a pack of werewolves had a strix for a totem they would have 'the taint of the Strix' nature,' about them.
                    Can Werewolves take non spirit totems?

Comment

The strix are weird enough that they just might be able to pull it off with some rare dread power or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                        Can Werewolves take non spirit totems?
                        From the Pack, p59. 'The Worlds of Flesh and Spirit hold more alien creatures than any run-of-the-mill vampires, mages, or Beasts. Can a pack include a ghost? A Strix totem? The answer ultimately depends on the story you want to tell, but as with the more common supernatural creatures, agency is key.'

The option's open for groups that want to explore it. As Elfive points out a Dread Power could justify it from the strix end.

Comment

Then if the ST allowed it it would be their call, you won't find a rule but I would say yes.

Comment

Working...
                          X