No announcement yet.

Doing away with Bloodlines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Bloodlines are great, and hope to see more of them printed in the future. Back when I first started running VtR, Bloodlines were what won over my more skeptical players because it allowed one of them to make his own, and all of a sudden he wasn't just a vampire, he was a cursed scion of Caligula. The other one was a VtM player who thought that Requiem was "vampire-lite" and wanted to be a Brujah. She found the Bruja Bloodline to be exactly what she wanted to make, after I convinced her that she wouldn't be sprouting animal parts because they come from Gangrel. And a third player likes making homebrew, so he made a custom Nos Bloodline based on the Lamia. After a few games we were all in agreement that Bloodlines were something that we all enjoyed for different reasons (the Bruja saying that they felt familiar, the others saying that they felt very different from VtM).

I draw things! Wanna check it out? Click on the link below!
    http://kiwi665.deviantart.com/

YES! I do commissions!

Comment

Originally posted by JTroy View Post
      I think Bloodlines are great, and hope to see more of them printed in the future. Back when I first started running VtR, Bloodlines were what won over my more skeptical players because it allowed one of them to make his own, and all of a sudden he wasn't just a vampire, he was a cursed scion of Caligula. The other one was a VtM player who thought that Requiem was "vampire-lite" and wanted to be a Brujah. She found the Bruja Bloodline to be exactly what she wanted to make, after I convinced her that she wouldn't be sprouting animal parts because they come from Gangrel. And a third player likes making homebrew, so he made a custom Nos Bloodline based on the Lamia. After a few games we were all in agreement that Bloodlines were something that we all enjoyed for different reasons (the Bruja saying that they felt familiar, the others saying that they felt very different from VtM).
      Bloodlines are indeed great, I am particularly fond of how certain clans are rumored to have risen out of bloodlines, and vice versa. I also hope we'll see new Disciplines introduced...

Stand with Greece!
      Saif ul-Qabil(including rules for reaching Golconda)

Comment

I wanna throw some lover at Haberdasher for their work in updating a bunch of Bloodlines. In truth, I love how Bloodlines look in 2e; having a fourth core Discipline, a central extra power, an extra weakness, and then building any further advantages as Devotions mixing their fourth Discipline with their Clan Discipline(s).

Bloodlines, to me, feel a far more natural relationship state for the Kindred. Covenants feel like the unnatural state of being, since Vampires are, by their nature, such solitary creatures. Bonds between sire and childe feel natural and, through them, bonds between siblings, cousins, grandsires and grandchilder, etc., but Covenants somehow require vampires from across different lineages to not only come into contact with one another, but also to recognize one anothers' shared interests, initiate friendly contact, maintain said contact, come to an agreement on power sharing...

The idea of vampires having a "society" beyond temporary mutual interests and the Prince telling all those wankers to get back in line feels foreign to me. Every vampire is a rival first and a friend second, and it takes a lot for the latter to outweigh the former, since any time another vamp fucks the Masquerade, you want them as far from where you sleep as possible. The one exception is any childe they Embrace because clearly they have a purpose and plan for doing so, and a reason to guide the neonate in their new unlife.

Covenants feel like the unnatural idea. Bloodlines feel like the natural one. They need to be done differently than they were in 1e to make them actually fun, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a good game concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
          I wanna throw some lover at Haberdasher for their work in updating a bunch of Bloodlines. In truth, I love how Bloodlines look in 2e; having a fourth core Discipline, a central extra power, an extra weakness, and then building any further advantages as Devotions mixing their fourth Discipline with their Clan Discipline(s).
          Aw, somebody likes my work!

Honestly, I understand wanting to disallow bloodlines, especially if you don't have access to a book and thus aren't able to decide if the bloodline's lore and mechanics are a good fit for the kind of chronicle you want, or if their goals are going to mess with your chronicle. Of course, you're all welcome to use my conversions or any other forum member's if you want!

Personally, I think bloodline stands somewhere between clan and covenant in terms of organization. The members of a bloodline have an innate connection to each other, and their small numbers promotes an inter-connectedness that covenants might not normally, with covenants being the broader, more generalized community of a political party. Of course, when bloodline and covenant intersect, things can get a little dicey for those who deviate from the consensus!

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

Working...
          X