Bleeding Statues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding Statues

I was just watching the old vampire-movie series "Subspecies" and how much of its plot involves the artifact known as the Bloodstone--a holy relic stolen from the Vatican which constantly drips the blood of saints. It got me to thinking about the bleeding statues phenomena, and blood manifesting from holy relics and artifacts, and I started to wonder about how important such things would be to the blood-drinkers in the World of Darkness.

How much interest do you think a "holy" relic spontaneously producing blood would be to those in the Danse Macabre?

Depends on if the blood is actually holy or not, and whether or not it feeds a vamp at all. Like would it burn vampires? Does it provide vitea? How much does it produce per day? Week? Does it run out? Or worse, is it a trap? An item made by a sorcerer that poisons vampires. Maybe the statue is actually a Elder vampire frozen in stone, and it's blood addicts vampires that drink it? All that aside, assuming the Bloodstone is as advertised, extremely valuable to elder vampires I imagine, even less reason to bother with those pesky humans after all. To younger ones, at least the smart younger ones, it would only have value as a trade object, because in trying to keep it for themselves, they'll no doubt meet on of those elder vamps I just mention who will take it one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Your3rdShadow View Post
      Depends on if the blood is actually holy or not, and whether or not it feeds a vamp at all. Like would it burn vampires? Does it provide vitea? How much does it produce per day? Week? Does it run out? Or worse, is it a trap? An item made by a sorcerer that poisons vampires. Maybe the statue is actually a Elder vampire frozen in stone, and it's blood addicts vampires that drink it? All that aside, assuming the Bloodstone is as advertised, extremely valuable to elder vampires I imagine, even less reason to bother with those pesky humans after all. To younger ones, at least the smart younger ones, it would only have value as a trade object, because in trying to keep it for themselves, they'll no doubt meet on of those elder vamps I just mention who will take it one way or another.
      I realize it would depend on many factors...but you hit on a good point in regards to elders attitudes--I had been thinking more in terms of the Covenants myself...

A relic (say a Statue of Mary crying blood, a large golden Crucifix which seems to be leaking the genuine article, a goblet which actually transfigures sacramental wine into blood, etc.) is noted in the news, and rumor is that it isn't a trick...how interested would vampires be in it? I can't see the Carthians or the Circle that interested in it, the Invictus might be slightly if only as a bartering tool, and then I can't help but think the Lancea et Sanctum and the Ordo Dracul would be racing each other to get their claws on it--or would they only casually investigate because such phenomena usually turns out to be something unuseful?

Comment

Secrets of the Covenants got you covered, dawg.

Bloody Icon (••, Transmutation ••)
        Target Successes: 6
        Sacrament: The caster’s own Humanity (see below), a statue
        of a saint
        This ritual is a miracle reserved for the direst of circumstances. It offers blood in times of emergency, where the Lancea et Sanctum must but cannot access blood. During the Church’s early nights, it allowed them to survive while held up in siege. With it, the sorcerer begs the Lord for respite and succor. In exchange, the Lord demands the vampire recognize what she is, and abandon her fetters to her past life.
        Bloody Icon must be used in the presence of a statue of a saint. Once cast, the saint cries forth Vitae equal to the vampire’s total successes. This Vitae will store for the rest of the night, and counts as Kindred Vitae for the purpose of feeding restrictions, but does not cause Vitae addiction.
        During the casting, the sorcerer is assailed with imagery of her Kindred self. After the battery, once the statue leaks forth sustenance, the sorcerer loses a dot of Humanity. Later that night, the statue crumbles beyond recognition, and may not be used again

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Secrets of the Covenants got you covered, dawg.
          Thanks...DAWG!

I guess it would truly have to be an especially powerful relic leaking potent blood (or even vitae) steadily and without end for it to really peak interest then...

Comment

I think the Circle would be interested, they would just have their own lore about who's blood it is.
            ​At least as long as you don't make it too obviously Catholic that is. Many old world Catholic relics have a corresponding pagan counterpart.

Comment

Working...
            X