Bloodline Conversion- Adrestos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodline Conversion- Adrestos

Hi, everybody! Haberdasher here, with yet another bloodline conversion. Today marks the end of the the clan book bloodline conversions, with the Ventrue bloodline known as the Adrestos, These guys take the Ventrue stereotype of hyper-ambitious social climbers to the extreme.

As far as changes go, some of you might notice their name is not "Adrestoi," like it was in the clan book. I changed the spelling to fit in better with the format of bloodline names (i.e., masculine Greek names using the singular form, not the plural). The bloodline weakness is mostly the same, but I added the dice penalty to encourage characters to feed frequently, and to balance out their bloodline gift. The bloodline gift took some time to work out, because I initially considered letting them turn Vitae to gold in the form of "spend X Vitae for X number of temporary Resources dots," but I couldn't come up with any way that it wouldn't break the game into little tiny pieces but still be something you would want to use, and "Vitae to gold" has been used in other Adrestoi conversions, and I wanted mine to stand apart. So I decided to take their bane's focus on the interplay of Willpower and Vitae, and ran with it. Now, the Adrestos can steal Willpower as well as Vitae. So basically, they go from Willpower being the more precious of resources, to potentially having Vitae being the more precious of resources.

With the clan book bloodlines done, I'll probably be moving on to the covenant book bloodlines to celebrate the release of "Secrets of the Covenants." I would be starting off with the Carthian bloodlines, the first of which will be the Barjot: communal, wandering Gangrel have a psychological need to be together, and don't really have a concept of respecting others' space and property.

Bloodline Conversion- Adrestos
    The thing is, kid, it's not a dog-eat-dog world. It's a vampire-eat-human world. And sometimes, it's a vampire-eat-vampire world. And I hate to say it, but you're tonight's special.

Among the Ventrue, the Adrestos adhere closely to the stereotype of urban Lords looking down at the city from a penthouse, commanding massive influence among both vampires and humans. They are tenacious and strong-willed, throwing themselves into their endeavors body and soul. However, this willfulness can be a handicap, as they run the risk of being sapped of both Vitae and mental fortitude if they do not feed frequently enough, leading to the Adrestos ritualizing and exalting one of the most vital parts of the vampiric condition: the hunt.

Background: The Adrestos have only existed for a handful of decades, but their fast spread is a testament to their progenitor's ambition and desire to leave a mark on the world. In 1980s Detroit, Paul Gordon learned to use fear as a weapon amid the decay of one of the United States' greatest industrial centers. Through hard study, Paul obtained a scholarship to Georgetown and studied law, leaving behind his family's working-class station. When he returned to Detroit, Paul's willingness to let ethics and law fall to the side in his pursuit of winning cases and making money attracted the attention of the Detroit mob, and Paul soon found himself both defending members of the mob in court, and personally making sure that potentially troublesome witnesses were eliminated.

Such amoral ambition eventually attracted the attention of one of Detroit's younger Ventrue, who saw the sociopathic lawyer as a potential ghoul. Paul accepted the vampire's blood, realizing the potential benefit that it carried. His reignant was barely an Ancilla, and he was not prepared to deal with the man who seemed at times to think and act like a vampire himself. It wasn't long before Paul bullied his own regnant into Embracing him. Soon after, Paul decided that he had no more use for his sire, and diablerized him. The mixing of their Vitae pushed Paul's willpower to supernatural levels, turning him into something greater than an ordinary Ventrue. Following the Ventrue hobby of presuming mythical heritage, he changed his last name to Adrestos, after the legendary grandson of King Midas, and began Embracing childer to build a dynasty.

The Becoming: Adrestos are usually Embraced from society's elite, so that they might further the bloodine's influence and resources. Social Attributes are often primary, but no Adrestos is below average in their mental or physical faculties. The nature of the Adrestos bane means that members of the bloodline often look for potential childer with strong Resolve and Composure. A wide range of Skills are present, but Social Skills are again usually primary. Merits should reflect the fact that the Adrestos comes from a position of economic prosperity and sociopolitical influence.

In the Danse Macabre: Adrestos are often viewed with caution by other Kindred, including their Ventrue cousins. Their stubbornness can make them powerful allies even when they are childer, but their thirst to succeed and rule can also make them dangerous rivals and treacherous subordinates. Adrestos hunt frequently, but members in a domain will join together once a week and hunt in a pack, bonding and taking the measure of each other. The Adrestos are also known for placing revenants and draugr in tombs, which they cast new childer into as a test of their skills. The practice raises eyebrows among some, but others argue that it's a convenient way to deal with threats to the Masquerade. Politically, Adrestos are enthusiastic members of any covenant they join, but they naturally gravitate towards the Invictus, and they find some of the teachings of both the Circle and the Sanctified quite appealing.

Clan: Ventrue

Nickname: Children of Midas

Bloodline Bane: Anytime an Adrestos spends Willpower, he must also spend an equal amount of Vitae. If he has less Vitae than his maximum Willpower dots, he suffers a -2 to all rolls.

Bloodline Disciplines: Animalism, Dominate, Protean, Resilience

Bloodline Gift: Inexhaustable Will
    Whenever an Adrestos feeds from someone, he can drain one Willpower point from them with each dot of Vitae. Draining a target's last Willpower does not prevent him from continuing to drink blood from them. If he has Vitae equal to or greater than his maximum Willpower dots and spends his last Willpower point, he can regain spent Willpower points at the cost of one point per two dots of Vitae.

Why don't they get any special powers?

Comment

Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
      Why don't they get any special powers?
      As in, a set of Devotions? I didn't think it fit the Adrestos, and I found the idea of them being able to steal Willpower from those they feed on, and convert their own Vitae to Willpower, to be an interesting counterbalance to their bloodline bane. Bloodline Gifts aren't always devotions or unique disciplines. Sometimes, they can take the form of a utility power that grants them some sort of edge over the usual vampire. Essentially, these guys can keep adding Willpower to their rolls so long as they keep themselves well-fed, without the usual effort of only having to only rely on their Mask and Dirge to replenish Willpower. I would call that pretty powerful, honestly.

Comment

The Adrestos were always my favorite bloodline...well done!!

I think the way 2e does the bloodlines is an enormous improvement over 1e, but I can't help but wonder if there's been any 2e book released yet that contains rules for creating bloodlines, or if this has been purely online content.

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post

I think the way 2e does the bloodlines is an enormous improvement over 1e, but I can't help but wonder if there's been any 2e book released yet that contains rules for creating bloodlines, or if this has been purely online content.
          We'll be getting a Morbus conversion in the Dark Ages companion. All of the other ones have been posted to the forums.

Comment

The only rule as of yet is at what BP a vampire can create a bloodline. But I believe that applies to consciously created bloodlines and not spontaneously created bloodlines.

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post

I've never used a bloodline in a 2ed game for this same reason, it just seems odd to do it, and the core clans are as versatile as it is.

Comment

Working...
              X