Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drained and Supernatural Healing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drained and Supernatural Healing

    The resolution for the Drained Condition leaves me a question. First, for convenience:
    Resolution: All lethal damage healed through normal means.
    Beat: n/a
    In this context, does 'normal' means mean that supernatural healing (Ghouls healing via Vitae, Werewolf regeneration, Mage healing via Pattern Restoration/Magic, etc) doesn't resolve the Condition? If so, how would such a being actually resolve it?

    If not, does it just mean that you don't have to do anything 'special' to resolve the condition other than heal the damage?

  • #2
    I would say a werewolf's accelerated regeneration could work so long as they don't use anything to augment it, the other methods would not, since they're using alternative supernatural means to augment their natural regeneration. A vampire could use vitae to heal because that's their only means of regeneration but I'd say they'd still need to enter day sleep after healing the damage in order to go to their factory defaults and resolve the condition.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tsusasi View Post
      I would say a werewolf's accelerated regeneration could work so long as they don't use anything to augment it, the other methods would not, since they're using alternative supernatural means to augment their natural regeneration. A vampire could use vitae to heal because that's their only means of regeneration but I'd say they'd still need to enter day sleep after healing the damage in order to go to their factory defaults and resolve the condition.
      So how would the Condition resolve in the case of healing via magic etc?

      Comment


      • #4
        I would say "normal means" refers to whatever means are "normal" for the subject to heal. Recovery over time and/or with medical attention for humans, Mages and Changelings, Vitae expenditure for vampires, regeneration for werewolves, electroshock therapy for Prometheans, etc. but not by magically assisted means like Life spells, pattern restoration, or goblin fruits. In Mage terms, it's like Resistant damage.


        Onyx Path Forum Moderator

        My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

        Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

        Comment


        • #5
          So in the event a being heals the damage through non-normal means, how do they resolve the lingering Condition?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
            So in the event a being heals the damage through non-normal means, how do they resolve the lingering Condition?
            I'd say either mark the damage that caused the Condition as if it were Resistant and don't allow it to be healed by non-normal means, or make note of the damage that caused the Condition and require the subject to spend whatever time or resources would be necessary to heal that damage normally (even if the actual damage has already been healed by other means).


            Onyx Path Forum Moderator

            My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

            Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Werewolf regeneration is entirely normal. It's just very, very fast.

              Comment


              • #8
                If it becomes impossible to resolve a Condition as written, the Condition just disappears.


                Rose Bailey
                Onyx Path Development Producer
                Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

                Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                  If it becomes impossible to resolve a Condition as written, the Condition just disappears.

                  My impression of the Drained condition is that it serves as a check against mixed-group infinite vitae generation. So, you won't get the vampire's mage-friend healing a mortal repeatedly in order to permit said vampire from "stocking up". No free lunch.

                  In that case while involving extra bookkeeping, the best thing would be to note the drained "damage" and figure it "heals" at a normal rate even though the mortal is not down health boxes. Think of it as the regeneration of mystical life essences, which are otherwise stolen in feeding?

                  --Khanwulf

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post


                    My impression of the Drained condition is that it serves as a check against mixed-group infinite vitae generation. So, you won't get the vampire's mage-friend healing a mortal repeatedly in order to permit said vampire from "stocking up". No free lunch.

                    In that case while involving extra bookkeeping, the best thing would be to note the drained "damage" and figure it "heals" at a normal rate even though the mortal is not down health boxes. Think of it as the regeneration of mystical life essences, which are otherwise stolen in feeding?

                    --Khanwulf
                    I don't know, seems like a very edge case to base a Condition on.

                    It would also be weird.

                    Vampires can feed from blood banks. Do mortals who have donated blood and healed the "damage" also have less "mystical essence"?

                    It is fine in my book that a Life mage can feed a vamp "infinitely". Just careful when using the trick on mortals, hubris and Paradox may follow.

                    It is just clunky and would be a pain to track. So I'll just take Rose's position on it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Blood in cold storage is already next to useless. That's kind of self-policing compared to magically healing someone you fed from.

                      That said, Mage created "Life" seems perfectly valid for producing Vitae.

                      Blood Sorcery healing isn't really an issue; Vampires have to spend Vitae to magically heal others just like they were healing themselves, if the rules in BS are still valid. You won't take a net gain that way.

                      Biokinesis for mortals makes sense for allowing feeding again.

                      I'm not much familiar with other magical healing methods, but I see no reason not to go with the (former) Line Dev's answer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

                        I don't know, seems like a very edge case to base a Condition on.

                        It would also be weird.

                        Vampires can feed from blood banks. Do mortals who have donated blood and healed the "damage" also have less "mystical essence"?

                        It is fine in my book that a Life mage can feed a vamp "infinitely". Just careful when using the trick on mortals, hubris and Paradox may follow.

                        It is just clunky and would be a pain to track. So I'll just take Rose's position on it.

                        Sort of. Vampires who feed on cold blood receive less nourishment - they need to consume a number of pints equal to twice their blood potency to get the intended results so the blood does indeed have less mystical essence.
                        Last edited by Jakondite; 01-27-2017, 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I didn't argue the (lack of) potency of cold blood. I was arguing the potency of the in vein blood of someone who donated blood that is still able to feed a vampire.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                            I didn't argue the (lack of) potency of cold blood. I was arguing the potency of the in vein blood of someone who donated blood that is still able to feed a vampire.

                            Ah. In that case no. However, now I have trouble seeing the point you were trying to make. If a vampire drains a person and they heal the wounds normally, the condition is resolved. If they donate blood to the point where they undergo the drained condition and heal the wounds normally, then it's the same circumstance as resolving the condition that a vampire drained them of blood. If someone is concerned about mystically creating an infinite reservoir of vitae and using the logic that simply magically healing the damage does not replenish the blood supply, then how does a mundane application of healing which does actually replenish it matter?

                            Bear in mind, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your position on this; I'm just trying to fully understand the point you were trying to make. I can see it either way honestly, myself. Some STs might see an opportunity with a mage (or any creature really) capable of creating an infinite vitae supply out of 1 thrall, whereas others might have hesitations (especially in a larger game)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X