posthumous embrace and ghouls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posthumous embrace and ghouls

so i was reading the sections on posthumous embrace, and posthumous embrace: revenants, in the second edition Vtr core book, the first says that anyone contaminated with vampire blood has a chance to rise as a vampire when they die - you roll the blood potency of the contaminating vampire successes mean that they become a vampire.
    in the latter it says that when a ghoul dies you should roll its ragnents blood potency successes mean that they become a revenant. can i have some clarification - can ghouls be posthumously embraced as vampires or unless they are deliberately embraced can they only become revenants

The section on the posthumous Embrace is talking about two distinct processes. One is when a corpse is subjected to the Embrace, either deliberately or through accidental exposure to Vitae: that produces a "full" vampire. The other is when a victim touched by the Blood dies and spontaneously rises without intervention: that produces a revenant. Both can happen regardless of whether the deceased was a ghoul; ghouling is only relevant because it is one of the ways you can be "touched by the Blood" enough to rise as a revenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      The section on the posthumous Embrace is talking about two distinct processes. One is when a corpse is subjected to the Embrace, either deliberately or through accidental exposure to Vitae: that produces a "full" vampire. The other is when a victim touched by the Blood dies and spontaneously rises without intervention: that produces a revenant. Both can happen regardless of whether the deceased was a ghoul; ghouling is only relevant because it is one of the ways you can be "touched by the Blood" enough to rise as a revenant.
      Yes, but if you look at the criteria for each, you can see where Ahather's question is coming from.

In order for a corpse to be a viable candidate for embrace, the person must have consumed vampiric Vitae at some point in their life. In order to embrace a viable corpse (whether deliberately or accidentally) the sire's Vitae must come into contact with the corpse within one week of death, and the sire rolls Blood Potency. On a success, the corpse rises as a vampire a week later.

For a vampire's victim to spontaneously rise as a revenant, the vampire must completely exsanguinate them. The vampire then rolls Humanity +2 and if they fail, the victim rises as a revenant some time within the next week.

When a ghoul dies, its regnant rolls Blood Potency, and if the roll is successful, the ghoul rises as a revenant in one week, minus a day for each success. Interestingly, a dead ghoul meets the criteria to be posthumously embraced (they drank their regnant's blood during their life), but not necessarily the criteria for a vampire's victim to spontaneously become a revenant (unless they died by exsanguination). As well, the dice pool for determining if and when a deceased ghoul rises as a revenant is consistent with the dice pool for posthumous embrace, not with the dice pool for spontaneous revenant generation. You roll Blood Potency instead of Humanity +2, and the ghoul rises on a success, not on a failure.

So, if a ghoul that dies always has a chance of rising as a revenant, can the corpse of a ghoul ever be posthumously embraced? I would suspect not.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

thanks charlaquin, that is exactly my query, I thought it rather strange.

Comment

Does this look accurate?
          Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 01-30-2017, 05:14 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
          "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
            Does this look accurate?
            No. With this flowchart it's possible for someone who wasn't exposed to vampiric Vitae before death to be embraced postmortem if they were exsanguinated, among other errors. I replied with more specific feedback in the simple questions thread.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Fixed the errors and streamlined the flowchart.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
              "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Fixed the errors and streamlined the flowchart.
                This one is really good. I would check for Ghouls before checking for postmortem Vitae exposure just because of the timing - the Blood Potency roll to see if a deceased ghoul becomes a Revenant happens right away, the roll for posthumous embrace can happen any time within a week of death. Otherwise excellent though.

Comment

Working...
                X