X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Depths vampires - headcanon idea

OMG first post and it's silly.

So first off hello everyone.
    To start off I was not a fan of 2ed of vampire focus on Strix as antagonists. But i meandered a bit and came up with an idea that would help me reconnect strix a bit more to use them in my games. Maybe you guys will find it interesting. Also opinions and ideas are always welcome considering I'm not most well read person regarding vampire fluff in Requiem.

1. I've read somewhere that Lower Depths from mage are places that are missing one or more arcana. So I figured what if vampire beast was originally something a creature from such a place. Place devoid of life/death or life/time or whatever maybe. Where there was no natural growth but instead things that dwell in there can only devour each other until they reach their limit and get bloated so only way out is to split themselves into smaller ones that then devour each other again. So I figured first vampires were created when those things crawled into reality and attached themselves to humans.

2. Part of the idea above was inspired by the fact that one strix needs to rip out part of itself to make a new strix. So I figured what if it was same for vampires. So I now rule that vampire needs to drop a dot of blood potency to embrace someone.

3. So going from that I decided that in my games Strix are created either by the normal parthenogeny or simply when high blood potency vamp(6+) with really low humanity 0-1 will get killed it will rise up as a new Strix.

So what do you guys think? Also sorry if anything is unclear.

I believe that within ChroD the Strix are already canonically entities from a lower depth which conceptually lacked Vitae. Someone with a better memory than me can probably confirm it or tell me I'm an idiot, but I think that's right.

Comment

Its confirmed that mages consider the strix-realm a "Lower Depths," for what passes for their rather subjective standards on the matter. It should be noted, however, that Lower Depths is pretty much meaningless outside of Mage, and pretty weak inside MtA as well. Vampires especially won't care one way or the other.

1. Lower Depths in Mage can be missing an Arcana, but not necessarily. It could just be "twisted." The exact measurements of what qualifies is pretty subjective even in Mage proper. The hard rubric is apparently "hungry," "dangerous" and "won't survive a trip to it."
      2. Umm.... already part of 2e vampire rules.
      3. Ehhh.... that kind of ruins the mystery of the setting by making hard facts about the strix. IE- strix really are a vampire's beast. Undermines the mystery and role the strix play in vampire society from a boogyman into an ephemeral draugr to put down when someone dies.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
        Its confirmed that mages consider the strix-realm a "Lower Depths," for what passes for their rather subjective standards on the matter. It should be noted, however, that Lower Depths is pretty much meaningless outside of Mage, and pretty weak inside MtA as well. Vampires especially won't care one way or the other.

1. Lower Depths in Mage can be missing an Arcana, but not necessarily. It could just be "twisted." The exact measurements of what qualifies is pretty subjective even in Mage proper. The hard rubric is apparently "hungry," "dangerous" and "won't survive a trip to it."
        3. Ehhh.... that kind of ruins the mystery of the setting by making hard facts about the strix. IE- strix really are a vampire's beast. Undermines the mystery and role the strix play in vampire society from a boogyman into an ephemeral draugr to put down when someone dies.
        1. Alright good to know.
        2. Now this is what happens when I mix 1ed and 2ed willy nilly.
        3. Ech I don't find the whole mystery behind the strix compelling at all. Some weirdo spirit comes for me. So what do I care about it in any other way that it tries to kill me?

Comment

On number three, for a fledgling a couple nights off of embrace, there probably isn't a lot of questioning if they came across a Strix, though, "How can I kill it" or "How do I stop it possessing my loved ones/me" do probably come up. For those who've spent more nights as Kindred though, well the nature of vampirism and the root cause/origin probably does come up in most minds and the Strix being able to spontaneously embrace without being vampires themselves is probably intensely interesting. I mean I can see the Circle, Ordo and Lancea all having numerous members wondering what the Strix are and where they come from. Sure they're deadly and dangerous, but maybe they also can answer some of their greater questions.

Edit: Oh, and apologies, when I said that the Strix are canonically a Lower Depth entity, I meant that strictly as knowledge, we the folks reading the ChroD books, know. Within the setting, I don't think anyone besides the occasional drunk Mage with owl haunted dreams connects Strix and vampirism with the Lower Depths.
          Last edited by Gullinbursti; 01-31-2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Orzhov View Post
            3. Ech I don't find the whole mystery behind the strix compelling at all. Some weirdo spirit comes for me. So what do I care about it in any other way that it tries to kill me?
            I'm not talking about exploring the origin of the strix as PCs. While some games do that, its not really vampire's forte. What I mean is that, by making them come out of dead elders, you're changing their purpose as entities in the game. And THAT is what's important. Strix are most effective when they're secretive and no one knows what's going on with them as they fuck with the All Night Society. Or someone claims their actions are done by the strix possession. By making them the result of an elder's death, you're putting the strix from a metaphorical shadowy antagonist into something that you have to hunt down like prey in Werewolf. That's not what they do. They're bored vampires who want to have fun messing with things from the shadows, and trying to nail down what they're doing is like trying grasp wisps of smoke.

One of the fun things about CofD that I really like is that the games combine metaphorical and literal things into one. When you make something out of smoke and shadows, they're both literally made of smoke and shadows as well as metaphorically serving as a shadowy antagonist and a smoke-screen. You can't concretely grasp them or what they're doing. Or even if they might be around. Are they pulling strings in the Danse Macabre? By making them the result of an elder death, you're putting the strix under a spotlight, cutting through the shadows and smoke to see truth. You're cutting the role the strix play away and making them something people have to watch out for with full knowlege.

If that's what you want out of the game, I guess have fun. I'm not at your table, and I don't know how you run things. But I think that keeping strix as a shadowy antagonist plays into the whole social-aspects of the game instead of falling to Werewolf's hunt-themes.

Comment

Not disagreeing, just a funny thought that occurred to me. When you say that hunting isn't a thematic focus for Vampire, my immediate reaction is that hunting for blood is a major thematic note within Requiem, but then thinking on it more, I guess I'd more classify it as hunger or addiction.Sure hunting down someone to feed from is going to be a scene that should play out more than a few times in a Chronicle, but thematically it doesn't tie in as much as why the blood is needed and how often you feel drawn to replenish your vitae. Interesting

Comment

If that's what you want out of the game, I guess have fun. I'm not at your table, and I don't know how you run things. But I think that keeping strix as a shadowy antagonist plays into the whole social-aspects of the game instead of falling to Werewolf's hunt-themes.
                For me personally this was something already done better by VII and Brood back in 1e. Strix just seem like random table encounter with no place in cofd.

Comment

The strix not having a place is kind of the point. They're alien invaders from another dimension (maybe) who are here and ready to fuck shit up for unclear reasons.

Plus they have some sort of tie to VII now. Or at least follow them around like some sort of spectator sport.

Comment

In my headcanon the Strix originated as souls transiting to earth for birth when the celestial ladder collapsed, leaving said souls both forever disembodied and tainted by the Abyss. As a result, each Strix is distinct, and they are limited in number (requiring tearing apart itself to make more). They also have, themselves, limited understanding of what happened and when, thanks to Seer meddling in reality and their extremely immature development stage at "birth".

The original vampires (five, or more) were mages caught in the First Wizard's War, literally fighting on the Ladder when it imploded. The bizarre circumstances of their "death", with the sudden appearance of the Abyss and the new "Strix" seeking bodies, resulted in their curse. Strix hate them at first because the "vampires" originally promised to give these disembodied souls homes, and reneged. Now, however, they hate vampires just because they have what the Strix desire: bodies. Hate has a powerful, reckless momentum.

Strix look like shadowy owls because why not.

--Khanwulf

PS. Credit where due: elements of this are cobbled from others on these forums. If you see something familiar, that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by Orzhov View Post
                      2. Part of the idea above was inspired by the fact that one strix needs to rip out part of itself to make a new strix. So I figured what if it was same for vampires. So I now rule that vampire needs to drop a dot of blood potency to embrace someone.
                      I thought the Embrace (in 2E) requires the Vampire to drop a point of Humanity, not Blood Potency?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

It does, making it cost BP is something a high BP Elder would love to manage and is probably on some Dragons to do list.
                        I wouldn't introduce such a rule as it would stop Elders from needing Torpor.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                          It does, making it cost BP is something a high BP Elder would love to manage and is probably on some Dragons to do list.
                          I wouldn't introduce such a rule as it would stop Elders from needing Torpor.
                          "Hold on, let me make a bunch more of unstable, treacherous predators feeding upon the same prey. What could go wrong?"

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

With 50 years to pick out a suitable candidate who may become your ally instead I think it's worth it if the alternative is 30 years (50 if you want to get rid of that unwanted Blood Potency) of sleep.
                            Last edited by Live Bait; 01-31-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah I would imagine being able to start whole dynasty all by yourself would be something fun to do. You can even add a fellow Ordo Dracul member as a creepy uncle

Comment

Working...
                              X