No announcement yet.

Storytelling for Dummies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course that's still the kind of thing that can be done in downtime. Just like you don't have to have your character active for 25 years to gain a Blood Potency.

Comment

The whole Moon Gift, Shadow Gift, Wolf Gift, Renown structure is also a tad more complex than Disciplines. "This power has five levels and you buy them in order" is easy to understand. "This power has five related abilities, each tied to one of five other traits. Buying the power gives you one of those abilities for free, increasing the traits gives you an associated ability from a power you know for free, and you can buy the abilities in powers you know individually if you have at least 1 in the associated trait" is... understandable, but not as easily intuitive.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Why Gifts are harder to handle - not just explaining how Aspects work, but the execution of a lot of Gifts as well aren't exactly always understandable. Take the Elemental Gifts. Influence takes a bit of finesse to understand how to work it in game. You have Purity 2 and fire Influence. Now, can you use that in an attack? How much damage does it do? Is there an existing fire around we have to start with? Lots of Gifts also directly interact with one's territory, which isn't as always easy to explain or grasp. Vampire powers are direct, brutally so, usually one-on-one. Simple dice rolls to resolve pretty much any issue.

Why Arcana is harder - you're joking, right?

Why Transmutations are harder - they're actually not that harder to grasp mentally, but playing out the Disfigurements or Condition can be tricky for people.

Why Contracts are harder - You have to understand standard, exceptional (sometimes equivalent to entirely new powers!), seeming benefits and catches, plus changelings have a TON of abilities. Dreams, Hedge, Contracts, Pledges, Goblin Vows, merits, custom Courts, understanding Bulwarks, Embracing the Wyrd/Shatter the Mask, kiths, seemings, etc. Changeling abilities are meant to be highly synergetic with each other, fitting lots of puzzle peices together. Others have told me that Changeling, as a whole, is more complicated than Mage.

Why Embeds / Exploits are harder - "what's going to cause me Compromise?" This game takes the whole coincidental / vulgar magic thing to an extreme, to the point that "vulgar" magic will call down angels to kill you.

Why Atavisms and Nightmares are harder - disciplines don't care what your Satiety level is. You use them, end of story. Still simpler.

Why Keys / Manifestations are harder - the mere fact we're takling about mixing two distinct things is complicated enough. And lets not forget about trying to make a krewe, come up with a mythos, etc.

Why Mummy powers are harder - messing with the number you roll on dice is bad, m'kay? And don't get me started on falling Pillars.

Why Endowments / Psychic powers are harder - you know, I don't remember much about Endowments, and havne't played a pyschic mortal in 2e yet. Maybe they are easier? I don't know.
        Last edited by MCN; 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
          Why Gifts are harder to handle - not just explaining how Aspects work, but the execution of a lot of Gifts as well aren't exactly always understandable. Take the Elemental Gifts. Influence takes a bit of finesse to understand how to work it in game. You have Purity 2 and fire Influence. Now, can you use that in an attack? How much damage does it do? Is there an existing fire around we have to start with? Lots of Gifts also directly interact with one's territory, which isn't as always easy to explain or grasp. Vampire powers are direct, brutally so, usually one-on-one. Simple dice rolls to resolve pretty much any issue.
          Animalism 1: what the rat can understand and can do with its little brain?

Animalism 3, can be used in attack? How long to arrive? How many damage? How many animals are there around?

Nightmare 3: how the target should react?
          Nightmare 4: same as above.

Auspex: imho is really hard to handle....from first to fourth. What can you ask? How should you formulate the question in order to get an answer? How prevent to see your secrets been uncovered at the first elysium?

Majesty 2: how far a charmed one can go pandering the vampire requests?
          Majesty 3: thinks what is breaking point, does it occurr before or after the execution of the act?

Dominate: use the right words... change the memory properly... not easy at all.....
          Last edited by Marcus; 02-16-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

Animalism 1: what the rat can understand and can do with its little brain?

Animalism 3, can be used in attack? How long to arrive? How many damage? How many animals are there around?

Nightmare 3: how the target should react?
            Nightmare 4: same as above.

Auspex: imho is really hard to handle....from first to fourth. What can you ask? How should you formulate the question in order to get an answer? How prevent to see your secrets been uncovered at the first elysium?

Majesty 2: how far a charmed one can go pandering the vampire requests?
            Majesty 3: thinks what is breaking point, does it occurr before or after the execution of the act?

Dominate: use the right words... change the memory properly... not easy at all.....
            Most of those are all examples that are fairly easy to adjudicate. Dominate has a hard word count. If you exceed it, the command doesn't take hold or requires more vitae to apply. Victims should not be allowed to independently pervert the phrasing in violation of the vampire's will. Can it happen, yes if the commands are ambiguous but if theyre too ambiguous they don't work anyway.

Majesty, damage levels and prohibitions are hard coded. X damage or action constitutes a breaking point.

Nightmare reaction should stem from revulsion or fear. Ranges and duration hard coded

Animalism. Ranges are hard coded, so arrival should be in less than a handful of turns, animal cognition is determined by success/failure of the roll. Obviously you don't issue commands an animal is physically incapable of carrying out like ordering a cat to perform a triple bypass heart surgery.

Comment

EDIT - Sorry, I was a bit out of line there. Please ignore my previous post if you saw it. My appologies to all involved.
              Last edited by MCN; 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

If we're going to have every thread derail into arguments between two people the least you could do is move it to a new thread or private messages.

Someone's asking for help.
                Last edited by nofather; 02-16-2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                  Why Endowments / Psychic powers are harder - you know, I don't remember much about Endowments, and havne't played a pyschic mortal in 2e yet. Maybe they are easier? I don't know.
                  Endowments are basically just another name for Conspiracy-specific Merits. I would agree with you that they're the only splat power that's easier to grok than Disciplines. And hunters don't have to worry about a power stat or fuel source (other than Willpower). I would say in order of ease of introduction for new players (excluding the ones I haven't read):

1. Vanilla CofD
                  2. CofD with supernatural Merits and minor templates
                  3. Hunter
                  4. Vampire
                  5. Demon
                  6. Werewolf
                  7. Promethean
                  8. Changeling
                  9. Geist
                  10. Mage

Not sure where Beast or Mummy fit in, and I'm not sure whether Changeling or Geist should come first. Obviously this is just my personal opinion, and subject to change as lines get updated to 2e.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I am just going to skip over everything said in the Middle.

The original poster asked for some help on running a new vampire game, not which game or "monster" was easiest.

I have been running dnd games and wod games for close to 20 years, but just recently I had 5 new players to vampire ( and wod ) and 1 veteran player. What I did was take it really really slow with my players. I had them all wake up together each with a different clan, besides two Nos (that's what they wanted and I rolled with it. ) I had a mentor there for them when they woke and we just ran through the basics.

First night the mentor explained the clans and what they were. (blond bonds, vitae addiction and all that )
                    Second night they went out to feed and we played out feeding scenes and dice rolling.
                    third night they met with the Prince and he explained the expectations of being a vampire. (Dont break the masquerade, treason and diablerie were bad... ect)
                    Following nights:
                    Tried out powers
                    Explained and played with lashing out
                    Tested the sun
                    Frenzy
                    of course more disciplines, learning new ones and advancing old ones.
                    Later we introduced the covenants and some of my players joined them and some of them didn't.

The newbie players really liked the time we devoted to each of these steps and they felt like they learned a lot about their characters and of course the mechanics while watching how the other players were doing it.
                    It also helped me just get more familiar with how they would role play and what I needed to do many of these steps ended up being entire sessions.

In the past what I have done ( which I think I saw someone suggest it ) is take a story that you liked and use that for a basic plot line to have your players run through that. When you are feeling more comfortable you can think of your own plot lines.

Comment

Thanks very much to everyone who has given tips and suggestions; they're all very good! I found a CofD adventure for entry-level players called "Nightmare at Hill Manor," which is what I plan to run them through. (as mortals, natch) Someone got sick, so we couldn't run this week, but I'm hoping to get going soon.

Vitalis- I really like your decompressed way of introducing players (and their characters) to unlife as a vampire. Having each night essentially be a lesson in some aspect of the Curse (and the associated game mechanic) is really handy, and if/when we do "upgrade" to VtR I'll probably use something like that for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                        Thanks very much to everyone who has given tips and suggestions; they're all very good! I found a CofD adventure for entry-level players called "Nightmare at Hill Manor," which is what I plan to run them through. (as mortals, natch) Someone got sick, so we couldn't run this week, but I'm hoping to get going soon.
                        As a warning, I don' think that SAS has been re-released for second edition. So there will be some fudging and rules updating you will need to do if you want to use the second addition rules.

On a more positive note, that adventure is great and one of the my groups favorite things we've ever done (I was Storyteller).

Comment

Working...
                        X