Belial's Brood 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belial's Brood 2e

Will we ever hear from these guys again or are they retconned? Will they appear in a future supplement or not?

So far, only that elusive Theban Sorcery ritual is all we have.

Since their story roles as "bogeyman preying on the predators" and "easy-to-implement antagonist" are taken by the Strix now, they'll probably need some new purpose. And with the aforementioned ritual, I'm hoping that the Brood appear as the extremists and heretics of the Lancea et Sanctum. Or even a collection of heresies and extremists from the Covenants that are lumped in and condemned together as "the Belial's Brood" by the mainstream Covenant members to hide their own dirt.

Comment

I like the Brood being an offshoot of the Sanctum, it makes them potentially more insidious.

Comment

It's an easy path to spiral down, if you think about it.

The Lance believes themselves to be already damned. Then what would a few more sins committed make a difference?

The Lance also tells their members to be the Scourge of God, with divine purpose and holy mandate. Then the grace of God lies within them, and even in their most debased atrocities one can find the light leading to God.

Comment

Unless the Brood is heavily changed, it would work better as a collection of heresies from all the covenants. If the Brood is limited to being associated with the Lance then it actually makes more sense for the Lance to be a heresy of the Brood because some Brood factions claim to be older than Longinus. Going the other way completely invalidates most of an old edition book which has not been the direction taken so far.

Comment

Yes, it makes more sense for them to either be their own heresy or a group from various covenants. The original didn't have much if anything to do with the church or religion the way the Lance et Sanctum views it beyond similarities in worshiping a greater power. The Brood take a Gnostic approach.

Comment

As Rose has said before, the Belial's Brood still exist. Nothing story-wise from 1e has been retconned out of existance. As others have stated, though, their role has been heavily absorbed by the strix. And, given that we're not changing the story stuff, chances are we're going to see them with only a small amount of change - quite possibly through a "positive" relationship with the strix themselves. At least, a non-antagonistic relationship. Although, they may just as well make a reappearance through an updated Inferno, which is also possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                ...chances are we're going to see them with only a small amount of change - quite possibly through a "positive" relationship with the strix themselves. At least, a non-antagonistic relationship.
                That would make quite a lot of sense, given that the Strix's whole (apparent) beef with vampires is that they're not "vampire-y" enough. Which is also what the Brood is about. I do rather like the idea of them drawing from every Covenant, picking up those who take their purpose so far as to alienate . Former Lances who want to take "Scourge of God" to the next level. Crones who revel in their unholy nature to the point where even other members of the Circle get weirded out. Dragons who've messed with themselves so much they lose even a tenuous grasp on reality, etc.

Comment

Actually I hope it's something connected to the Inferno, since also the Bale Hounds from Werewolf the Forsaken are also not mentioned in 2e ( I think, not sure... )
                  Is it an Inferno supplement somewhere along the way that will update these Infernal groups to 2e? I hope so...

Comment

On the other note, I don't like the idea of Belial's Brood being the offshoot of Lancea. Perhaps a wing or a group in the Belial's Brood. I like to think of them as an older Covenant. Inferno/Abbadon is older than Longinus, Monachus and their religion...

Comment

Originally posted by Rosencroft View Post
                      Actually I hope it's something connected to the Inferno, since also the Bale Hounds from Werewolf the Forsaken are also not mentioned in 2e ( I think, not sure... )
                      Is it an Inferno supplement somewhere along the way that will update these Infernal groups to 2e? I hope so...
                      This is an interesting idea to add to the Cross over Chronicles.

Bale Hounds, the Brood, and somekind of Infernal Changelings, Beasts, Mummies, Mages, Unchained, Prommies, Bound. Maybe Bale Hounds and the Brood could be Supernatural possessed.

I do want the connection between Lancea Sacrum Beliel worshippers and Belial's brood explained.

Comment

Since Belial's Brood attempt to be a greater evil, and embrace a lower Humanity, they are basically going against all the beliefs of the Lancea et Sanctum.

Basically, if being a vampire is a punishment from god, you shouldn't be enjoying it. You should be doing what he wants you to do, not what the Adversary or anyone else wants.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          Since Belial's Brood attempt to be a greater evil, and embrace a lower Humanity, they are basically going against all the beliefs of the Lancea et Sanctum.

Basically, if being a vampire is a punishment from god, you shouldn't be enjoying it. You should be doing what he wants you to do, not what the Adversary or anyone else wants.
                          Well, it's not like we haven't had heretic contradictions and theological paradoxes in religions and heresies before. Just look at what the Crusades did and what the IS is doing, compared to the core teachings of Christianity and Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                            Well, it's not like we haven't had heretic contradictions and theological paradoxes in religions and heresies before. Just look at what the Crusades did and what the IS is doing, compared to the core teachings of Christianity and Islam.
                            Of of course, I was just remarking on Omegaphallic's query about the LS and Brood's connection explained. While everyone else has their own issues with the Brood, the LS would see it as a blasphemy of the highest order. You're basically taking everything they stand for and turning it upside down. The fact that there's a Theban ritual, supposedly handed down to them by God, that offers the vampire's soul to Belial in exchange for power is probably worth a lot of discussion that the LS tries to stifle.

Comment

Bale Hounds are kind of mentioned? They get some word count in the example settings, but that could be a relic form before the new Werewolf book took complete shape.

Don't know about Inferno. It still exists in 2e, but an updated book? I'm personally not hopeful.

On the other note, I don't like the idea of Belial's Brood being the offshoot of Lancea. Perhaps a wing or a group in the Belial's Brood. I like to think of them as an older Covenant. Inferno/Abbadon is older than Longinus, Monachus and their religion...
                              Officially, they are not. I made a comment to that effect once before, and got corrected by the devs. So, officially, the Brood is its own thing.
                              Last edited by MCN; 02-12-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X