"Mystery Cult Influence" for Mekhet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mystery Cult Influence" for Mekhet?

So I made sure to do a thorough examination of the forum to see if this had been discussed before, and I didn't see it, so I thought I'd make a thread. (I might be wrong though, I'm not perfect.)

"Mystery Cult Influence" in Mage seems like the perfect merit for the Mekhet, though I know the merit probably wasn't even a twinkle in the minds of the developers when B&S was released back in 2013. It's listed as an Awakened only merit though. Is there any reason that's escaping me why it shouldn't also be allowed for the Mekhet (or other Kindred, for that matter, but especially them?)

EDIT - The only stated difference between MC Influence and MC Initiation is just that you aren't a member. You probably don't even show up to cult meetings, you just influence them from the sidelines and watch from a distance without anyone seeing you. That's reflected in the GotV labrynth, Seer methods of control, and more.

For vampire, however, I wouldn't recommend it. Vampires far often use cults as feeding sources. In fact, we even have the Ordo Dracul merit that does just that. Same with the CotC and their cults, and the LeS with their flocks. This invariably ties you closely to the cult as a member, or at least highly visible to the members. That kind of separation from a cult doesn't quite mesh with vampires and getting into the thick of dominating mortals. Vampires aren't detached from humanity and their organizations. They're in the thick and thin of it.
    Last edited by MCN; 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

My Mekhet character took it for the game I'm in right now, and it's worked fine.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
      Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Yeah seems fine to me.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

You've got a good point on Vampires being more closely connected to their cults and herds, and I definitely think Mystery Cult Initiation/Secret Society Junkie reflects the vast majority of Kindred involved in Mystery Cults. At the same time, I definitely think Mystery Cult Influence could be a good merit for shadowy Mekhet to possess since they tend to direct their cults for more arcane reasons than just feeding purposes.

Comment

I think a lot of Merits that are "splat-exclusive" are really only so because they first showed up in a book focused on that splat. I don't see any reason a Mekhet couldn't have Mystery Cult Influence, or an Iron Master couldn't learn Alley Cat, or an ordinary human protestor couldn't learn Toss That Shit Right Back, etc.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Its not like Influence breaks the game if you do use it, but its not a better fit for the game than Initiation, and probably not as appropriate for use as a herd. Especially if we start talking about the Secret Society Junkie merit, which Influence does not qualify for.

If you want to play up the whole "I'm a shadowy puppet master that no one knows or sees!" bit, that could work, but in that case we could just as easily represent the Cult through an Allies, Status or Contacts merit, which can be used just as effectively, if not more so, towards strange and different arcane effects.

*shrugs* To each their own. If its more fun to have this merit, then go for it. But I think there's better options for the same concepts in Vampire.
              Last edited by MCN; 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                I think a lot of Merits that are "splat-exclusive" are really only so because they first showed up in a book focused on that splat. I don't see any reason a Mekhet couldn't have Mystery Cult Influence, or an Iron Master couldn't learn Alley Cat, or an ordinary human protestor couldn't learn Toss That Shit Right Back, etc.

I might be wrong, but I think Secrets of the Covenants even flat out says that an ordinary human protester can use Toss That Shit Right back, too.

Comment

I'll also note that my Mekhet has Secret Society Junkie, too, so I suppose we're house ruling it a bit. Basically, combining SSJ and Mystery Cult Influence, and a couple dots of Staff from being Sworn, he suborned a cult, though his followers aren't really up on him being a vampire (they probably think his ghoul is in charge). Partially we did it because there isn't really a "Cultists" Merit in VtR2nd (yet).

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                    I'll also note that my Mekhet has Secret Society Junkie, too, so I suppose we're house ruling it a bit. Basically, combining SSJ and Mystery Cult Influence, and a couple dots of Staff from being Sworn, he suborned a cult, though his followers aren't really up on him being a vampire (they probably think his ghoul is in charge). Partially we did it because there isn't really a "Cultists" Merit in VtR2nd (yet).
                    This is more or less what I was thinking. When a Mekhet isn't really 'initiated' into their own cult, so much as they control it through a ghoul or other servant and use it for their own purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post

This is more or less what I was thinking. When a Mekhet isn't really 'initiated' into their own cult, so much as they control it through a ghoul or other servant and use it for their own purposes.
                      That's the nice thing about CofD: If you can't find the exact thing you need, it's really easy to eyeball it.

Comment

Working...
                      X