Prince's Embrace Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince's Embrace Day

The Prince, who was Embraced in Oxford some 350 years ago, currently rules Vancouver, Canada. A Dragon, she has thus far managed her domain with a fairly light touch -- she is a scholar who by lucky accident gained an empty domain that has since become pretty crowded. As the result of some fractiousness among her subjects, Prince Rixen wants to assert herself a little more forcefully and become a larger presence. One of her tactics is to make her Embrace Day a domain-wide celebration. This will include a court -- while there are Ellysia and council meetings, she rarely holds court in the old style. The local Invictus are happy with the idea -- the the prince can't be Invictus, at least she can act like one.

The purpose of this event is to broadcast the following:
    -I am in charge of this domain.
    -You are my subjects, and own me old-style fealty.
    -Disobey my very simple rules, and you're screwed.
    -Be good, and you get cookies.

So, I'm trying to decide what traditions this will entail. Probably some gift-giving. Possibly some night-long edict (loosening of rules, granting of boons, nothing compromising the masquerade), some kind of performances among the covenants or clans.

Any suggestions?

Allow each Covenant to have it's own way to show respect to the Prince, shun any slackers. Have the last appeals before execution to be made, this reminds everyone what happens when they misbehave. As she's a Dragon don't be afraid to have something that exists only to appear to be an important mystic ritual that only exists to distract and confuse the masses.

Comment

Well if she was embraced during the day, that is strange enough in itself to merit some personalization.

Comment

A highly dramatized reenactment of her last day alive performed by dominated mortals.

My Savannah Setting can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules can be found here

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
          Have the last appeals before execution to be made, this reminds everyone what happens when they misbehave.
          Oh, even better: During the proceedings, she will call out one of the members, announce some breach she learned about years ago, and have them executed. Thus saying, "I know dirt on you you had no idea I knew, and I sat on it until I was ready to make a point. Make you wonder what I know about the rest of you, doesn't it?"

Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
            A highly dramatized reenactment of her last day alive performed by dominated mortals.
            Unless the Prince herself is being intentionally obnoxious I doubt anyone would take that seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Rathamus View Post
              Well if she was embraced during the day, that is strange enough in itself to merit some personalization.
              Ha ha, real funny. In the classic World of Darkness this kind of celebration is called a deathnight party (direct opposite of birthday) and it's fairly common among Ventrue and Toreador, maybe this term applies to the CofD too.

Comment

Originally posted by Corrigan View Post
                Thanks for the idea.
                Happy to help.

Comment

Oh, even better: During the proceedings, she will call out one of the members, announce some breach she learned about years ago, and have them executed. Thus saying, "I know dirt on you you had no idea I knew, and I sat on it until I was ready to make a point. Make you wonder what I know about the rest of you, doesn't it?"
                  Classic Prince-ing, here.

Comment

You could make this the one night of the year when the Prince allows mortals to be embraced, making it everyone's embrace day.

Comment

I'm not sure if I understood the intention correctly, but you can set something like the Grand Ball with humans to feed from etc. The city tradition requires that every Kindred guest gives the Prince a gift. There is always someone, who licks Prince's boots, so many Kindred will want to make the best present. If there are any vampires, who were punished (for instance for Torpor) she can order to give them mercy due to the special night or do just the opposite. Play good old chess game on the punished vampire's back in front of all guests to humiliate the accused (Invictus style)

Comment

Originally posted by Edgar McAlister View Post
                        Play good old chess game on the punished vampire's back in front of all guests to humiliate the accused (Invictus style)
                        That brings to mind another question. I've seen various suggestions of Kindred doing crap like that to ghouls. I'm not sure how it would work between Kindred. It seems like that level of humiliation is beyond the pale -- either the Beast would snap, the victim (or the victim's allies) would set their minds to plotting revenge against the arrogant prince, or the victim would be ripped to shreds soon after by the other Kindred, either socially or physically, or probably both. A prince would need a whole lot of buy-in for society to condone that sort of cavalier humiliation, particularly if the prince is tetchy enough that anyone can get on the shit list.

At the party, the prince will in fact have someone executed for breaking Traditions. Lesser offenses warrant more subtle humiliations that can be read from the arch of an eyebrow, the well-timed interruption -- things that others can interpret as , "this one has screwed up and is out of favor, so feel free to adjust the pecking order accordingly."

Comment

That brings to mind another question. I've seen various suggestions of Kindred doing crap like that to ghouls. I'm not sure how it would work between Kindred. It seems like that level of humiliation is beyond the pale -- either the Beast would snap, the victim (or the victim's allies) would set their minds to plotting revenge against the arrogant prince, or the victim would be ripped to shreds soon after by the other Kindred, either socially or physically, or probably both. A prince would need a whole lot of buy-in for society to condone that sort of cavalier humiliation, particularly if the prince is tetchy enough that anyone can get on the shit list.

At the party, the prince will in fact have someone executed for breaking Traditions. Lesser offenses warrant more subtle humiliations that can be read from the arch of an eyebrow, the well-timed interruption -- things that others can interpret as , "this one has screwed up and is out of favor, so feel free to adjust the pecking order accordingly."
                          The chess on the back isn't my idea.It was presented in the Invictus covenant book in previous requiem edition. You're right that not every prince in not every domain will have enough power (both physical and political) to penalize in such way.

Comment

Working...
                          X