Akhud and Ahranites, without VII

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akhud and Ahranites, without VII

Saying the truth, the Akhud version of VII is actually one of my favorite. The problem? I like the Betrayed version even more. That has caused a number of attempts to reconcile those two version of VII in my headcanon, which- at the highest strain of suspension of disbelief- has ended with seven versions of VII existing in the same time, just so I could have two of them I really wanted together. Lately, however, I've started to think about another path for them- what if I could use the Akhud and their Covenant without them being VII? That is, what if I could adapt the concept of both the Clan and the Covenant so they would exist without a constant need to kill other vampires? The more I've thought about it, the more I liked the idea of making the Betrayed into the mysterious VII, while having the Akhud and the Ahranites as two separate, unrelated things, which neither of them exist especially in order to kill other vampires. Eventually, I've decided to write them down- and has I've finally had some free time, here is what I've got!

For now, it is only the Akhud, as I didn't had enough time to start writing the Ahranites as a Covenant (actually, I still haven't finished the Akhud's writeup, as there is still the Covenants section of them- but it is more than I've written for my other two Lost Clans, so I've thought it was good enough to post it as a beginning). After finishing the Clan's writeup, I'll start writing the Covenant down. Note- I have made some important changes to the Akhud, which have influenced their themes. Think of it as a variant version of the Clan, which is knowingly a bit different from the original. Also, I haven't written my version for their signature discipline, and I'm not going to (the same will be for the Aharnite's signature Blood Sorcery). The reason is that there are already some great translations for them by Charlaquin and Pendragon, and i don't feel like reinventing the wheel. Anyway, here is my version for the Akhud as a regular Clan. Hope you'll like it!

Akhud- the ones you can't stop

Something dead approaches. You feel it like someone is stepping on your grave. You can't see it, can't hear it, can't smell it- but it's there. It is a shadow in the edge of your sight, a breath on the beck of your neck. Every movement of you was already predicted, you can't move fast enough to catch up with it. You feel the paranoia starting to grow- an invisible madness which engulfs your mind. The threat is out there, can't be seen before it is too late. The devil is coming for you tonight- welcome to hell.

Vampires don't like to be found. Their tradition enforce that, their very curse enforce that. They fear light and fire for it banish the darkness and force them to see what they really are- dead corpses, preserved by stolen life. The Akhud, however, don't like to be found more than the usual- it is their nature to hidden and not draw attention. Even among the All Night Society, they are considered to be outsiders- staying away from the spotlight, watching silently from the backstage. Actually, they have done such a good job at hiding, that in more than one domain they are considered to be a Lost Clan- and they have never had enough interest to correct them about the matter.

The Akhud are old- perhaps as old as humanity itself. They have many stories, tales about kings and demons, prophets and gods, each speaks about some terrible curse or divine blessing (or both) which turned them into what they are. They believe that they have a goal, some reason to exist in the world- although the reason itself varies among the members of the clan. All they care about is that they have a job to do, and they intend to get it done- at any cost it may take.

The Zealots are known to be very idealistic individuals, and they are willing to pay any cost it may take to achieve their goals. They are not leaders- but agents of change, the powers who cut the crap and actually get the job done. They don't care about some political maneuvers or some shit like that- something is broken? Fix it. The Prince is bad to the city? Get rid of him. Someone makes threats against you? Kill them. In their dreams, they see the ideal world which they wish for- and they won't think twice before getting rid of those who stand in their way.

The idealist zeal which drives the Akhud has turned into a stuff of legends- the Nemesis which chased down those who broke their oaths as punishment in the hands of gods. Japanese speak about the Goryo, vengeful spirits of dead aristocrats which bring disaster and those who wronged them. Vidar silently watch as Ragnarok draws near, waiting to exact his future vengeance against Fenrir. The Green Lady protects the villages which were given to her in life- and drink the blood of those who wronged her in death. The Akhud are always silent, motivated by great visions of what may be, and they are willing to make the sacrifices needed to make that vision come true.

See the doctor. She doesn't show up at day shifts- only at night, only when the hospital is overcrowded and no one pays her a second glance. She is skilled with her scalpel, cutting and sewing flesh with unnatural talent. She saves many lives- those she deems worthy to be saved. They are thankful for her, their weak hands grasp at her robe as she vanish before their eyes. She is an angel, they say- but she is a demon, too. Those who are not worthy to live just disappear- nobody notice them in the crowded halls, no one hears their screams as she gives the world a favor.

See the vigilant. Everybody is talking about him, but no one has seen him. The police are after him, trying to solve the strange chain of murders- all criminal, all corrupted to the core, all freed by court. They find them with their heads bashed against the wall or strangled to death without any way to fight. People despise him in the front, but thank him in their heart. He is a criminal. He is a hero. He is just someone who is doing what needs to be done.

See the soldier. He devoted his life for his country and home, and went to a war to put his life on the line and protect them from harm. He died in that war- but he still keeps on fighting. For him, the war would never end, not until every single threat for those he cherishes would be erased. His hands are dripping in blood, his path is paved with the bones of his enemies, leading to a mountain of corpses. When this will end? He can't tell. He only knows that there are still enemies he needs to kill.

See the nomad. She has crossed this land through and through; searching after a dream only she can see. She has sacrificed everything she had to go on that pilgrimage, seeking for a place to call home. She cheats, lies and kills as long as it helps her advance another step in her journey, moving forward to the paradise promised to her sire, and his sire, and her sire before. She doesn't speak about her past, the life she left behind. She is dead, she says, and she now seeks to make her death worth something.

See the face in the crowd. It could be anyone- every grey face which melts to the background and vanish from sight. They are nowhere to be found. They are all around you. You are drowning in a sea of faces, yet you can't recognize any of them. They came for you- and they are here to take you to hell.

Let the other clans care about the little things- let them build complicate structures meant to achieve cozy unlife and temporary power. You are here to make a difference, to come and make things right. The Akhud have a vision to achieve- and the will do what it takes to get it. The world is greater than petty wishes and schemes, and they'll stomp upon as many corpses as needed to achieve their goal. They are gods and demons, kings by right if not by blood. You already died once- make sure your unlife worth something. Welcome to the family.

Why you want to be us- here is the thing: you are quick, quick as a gasp of wind, quick as the breath of the dying. You know what you want and you know how to get it. You don't need to waste time on some nonsense nobody really cares about just to achieve your goals- you are quick enough and forgettable enough to cause as much chaos as needed and get out with it. Being a Zealot means that you live for something greater than you- you died for a reason, something which no other vampire truly has.

Why you should fear us- here is the thing: the Zealots don't really care about you. Most chances are that the reason they didn't killed you yet is that you are not worthy the trouble. Each of them is a murderer by death- assassins made to kill those who stand in their way. That means that if you are alive, you either important for their endgame- which is scary- or simply not important enough as a threat. And doesn't being that meaningless a dreadful thing?

Why we should fear ourselves- here is the thing: even the Akhud aren't important enough, in their own eyes. In a blink of an eye, they could sacrifice themselves in the name of a dream which could never be accomplished. They spend all of the unlife in a futile attempt to accomplish something which maybe could never be done. They may be good at hiding, but eventually, their sins would catch up with them. They will die a meaningless death, after going through a meaningless undeath, and their goal would die with them- unless they'll force that burden upon their child.

Clan Origins
    -Five cities stood high in the plain, ruled by five hungry kings. They searched after gold to decorate their places and life to warm their beds. In their greed, they called upon their soldiers to conquer. In their lust, they called upon their servants to make them as their own. In their desire, they ate and drank and danced all night in a festival of horrors. Slowly, they have started to die inside, their hunger consuming them- yet their bodies didn’t knew that, and the deader they were the hungrier they became. In their perverted celebrations of sin, they drank more and more wine, but it no longer brought rest to their mind. They ate more and more food, yet they never knew satiety. Eventually, they fell upon their people; feeding upon their own warmth and life which belonged to them as the kings they were in order to bring ease to their hunger. One by one, the once five proud cities of the living turned into cities of the dead, who kept on dancing, feasting and celebrating with blood on their lips. As their evil grew, however, so did God's divine wrath as he looked upon the five. One day, darkness covered the plain- and fire stroke the cities down. Trapped and scared, the dead of the cities turned upon each other, attacking each other, consuming each other. When it was over, only five figures remained- once five proud kings, now five legions of devoured souls. Cursed by God for their selfishness, the five searched for redemption. Selfish desire brought their downfall- and with noble sacrifice, they may rise again.

-Three brothers were bound in a dungeon. Their father has forsaken them, motivated by fear and greed and lust for power. In his madness, he planned to sacrifice his own children to the gods, his own blood, in order to achieve immortal life. While they could, they didn't escaped their cells, neither did they searched for an easy death. They were loyal to their people, and if they were to die by the hands of their mad father in order to show them his madness, so be it. They would not leave them to a tyrant's rule, even by their own death. Seeing their devotion, the gods themselves showed before them- they appreciated their virtuous spirit and their innocent souls, and came to share their graces. A sacrifice had to be paid- and with blood, for this was the pact between man and his gods. However, if they were to take an oath, swearing before all gods and all nature, to keep their pure souls and virtuous spirit at all cost and pay the sacrifice to the gods as it was demanded, they would continue to serve their people in both their life such as in their death. The three bowed before the gods, and took the oath as it was their duty to do. That night, the king came to their cells and made them a sacrifice, killing his sons with his own hands. Then, they raised once more, their eyes burning with the blessing of all gods and all nature. They looked at their frightened father, and knew what they had to do. The gods demanded the sacrifice with blood.

-Seven tribes were lost in the desert; the sun burns their skin as they walked. Their water has already run out, their food was finished days ago. They have already slain the beasts, drinking their salty blood in search for relief from their thirst. In their desperation, they came to the city which shall not be named, watching at its great walls and delicate pillars. Their priests has warned them from the cursed place- they told them that ancient evil lurked inside, hungering for human souls and life- yet they had no other place to go. Those who preferred to die than to sin has stayed beyond the gates, while those who were not entered the cursed city. There, they found water and wine, bread and cakes, all waiting for them in the deserted city. Filled with joy and earthly pleasure, they stormed the feast which was laid before them- but motivated by desire and vice, they chose wine over water, cakes over bread. They celebrated all day, their calls of joy and laughter tormenting those who were left behind. Eventually, when they night came, they fell asleep- exhausted from the sweets and wine and the exhaustion of the desert, sleeping in comfort beds while their friends and family froze in the cold. As the life has started to be drained from their bodies, a voice came from the darkness- it said it saw their conviction and was delighted. It said it appreciated the strength of their souls and their willingness to die for it. Their friends have left them to die all alone, giving away to their lower nature like animals, like pigs. If they wish, it could make sure their conviction won't die with them and that as a reward not only that they'll escape the desert- they would also enjoy a feast which would make the ones those in the city had pale in comparison. Burning with wrath and righteous fury, each of them agreed- and then they died, only to open their eyes once more. Come, the voice said from the darkness, and so they did- entering the gates of the forbidden city, invisible as mist, silent like ghost. It lured them in, to the hall where their friends and family slept, a smile on their face, unaware of the dead who watched them in silence. Confused, they looked in the shadows for answer- only to hear the rolling laughter of the demon. Here is the feast I made for you! It laughed, eat and drink as much as you wish!

-Once upon a midnight darkly, there was a person who watched the palace silently. He watched as the queen ripped the heart of a snow white princess, leaving her empty and yearning. He watched as the king unknowingly ate his daughter's heart, and hungrily asked for more. He watched as the huntsmen who failed to kill her let himself to be devoured by the beasts of the forest. He watched as the queen was consumed by her own evil, her reflection devoured by envy and greed. He watched as the queen shattered her own magic mirror, leaving its shards to cut both the eye and heart of the palace's guardsmen. He watched as seven dwarves devoured the flesh of the sleeping princess, turning ugly and twisted out of their own sins. He watched as the soul of the princess left her body in her sleep, roaming the world as a restless spirit. He watched as the prince charming came to the princess's silent body, kissed her neck to bring her life- only to take them instead, all while dark birds sang in terrible cacophony. He watched as the story was ended, as all the great and terrible people of legend came and gone- leaving the simple men behind. He too wished to live like them- to be a hero, a villain, someone important enough so his story will be told. Be he wasn't- he was just a simple man, easily forgotten, easily ignored. Engulfed by grief, he took own life with his hands, jumping from the roof of the now empty palace and got himself impaled upon the sharp gates. As the life left his body, a faerie came to him- he, too, could be like them, she said. He too could have story worthy to be told about him. He too could find his happy ending- all he had to do, was to ask. Desperate to live the life he always dreamed of, he made the wish- and his wish was granted. The faerie, laughing and mocking the foolishness on man, left him behind- dead but not dead, burning with desire to act yet ignored by all. However- he did not lost hope, not yet. He left the palace, and started walking- going as long the sun hid beneath the earth and the moon shined with silver madness, walking and walking as far as he can, searching to do something which was worthy to be told about. He is still out there, as are others like him, other forgettable people who took the pact of the faerie upon themselves to make their life a worthy story to be told- desperately ever after.

Nickname: Zealots

Clan Bane (the Devoted Curse): the ideals of the Zealot bind them strongly, becoming an essential part of their soul and being. Betraying one's ideals, be it loyalty to family and clan, social duty or passion for vengeance degrades the Akhud's sense of self, and she breaks her own spirit. When actively violating or working against one of your Aspiration, treat it as a Humanity 1 Detachment roll.

Favored Attributes: Strength or Wits.

Clan Disciplines: Celerity, Praestantia, Obfuscate
    Last edited by LostLight; 02-28-2017, 06:55 AM.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

2 things, first they are only very close to Meket, they may fit better as a bloodline or you could replacing one of the disaplins. Second their bane might benefit from being tied to Mask and Dirge instead so it means they need to be true to their nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
      2 things, first they are only very close to Meket, they may fit better as a bloodline or you could replacing one of the disaplins. Second their bane might benefit from being tied to Mask and Dirge instead so it means they need to be true to their nature.
      The Akhud are "canonically" a Clan and those are the Disciplines they have. And I'd say the Devoted Curse is a decent translation of their 1e Clan weakness, which was just that they couldn't intentionally bring harm to other Akhud.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

so apparently, writing down a Covenant writeup requires much more work than a Clan writeup. Who knew? Anyway, just wanted to update I'm still working on the Ahranites, even though I'm going to make some important changes to their history, as the original version was strongly tied to the history of the Akhud, killing vampires and was written before Requiem for Rome- which are all things needed to be adjusted when writing this translation.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

By the way, this is really awesome. I had wanted to do one of these for the Akhud and the Pijavica after my Julii one, but alas, my time has been otherwise occupied. Fortunately now that this exists, I can prioritize the Pijavica, if I ever find myself with the time to do another one of these.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

There's a little bit of Akhud stuff (as well as Julii and Pijavica) coming up in A Thousand Years of Night.

Rose Bailey
            Onyx Path Development Producer
            Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
              There's a little bit of Akhud stuff (as well as Julii and Pijavica) coming up in A Thousand Years of Night.
              As if I couldn't be more excited about A Thousand Years of Night already....

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post

As if I couldn't be more excited about A Thousand Years of Night already....
                Fun Fact: Ahranite HQ has shown up in other CoD books. So they have a demonic entity locked up in Irem.
                Smells like crossover fodder.

Really can't wait til A Thousand Years of Night.

Edit: Almost forgot; I have also noticed the Discipline spread and how it mirrors the Shadows but way back when I got the VII book I house-ruled that the Akhud had Resilience rather than Celerity. Not official but keeps them nice and scary, thematically distinct as well as stopping my brain from turning them into a bloodline or something.
                Last edited by FallenEco; 02-27-2017, 10:52 PM.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                  sweet! I really do like the concept of minor and lost clans in Requiem, so it gives me yet another reason to eagerly wait for that book!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                    By the way, this is really awesome. I had wanted to do one of these for the Akhud and the Pijavica after my Julii one, but alas, my time has been otherwise occupied. Fortunately now that this exists, I can prioritize the Pijavica, if I ever find myself with the time to do another one of these.
                    thanks! I really liked your Julii writeup, which was my main catalyst for me to write Clan Grettir way back, which eventually led up for me writing the Akhud- so I'm glad you like them! Anyway, if you do manage to write down the Pijavica, while giving them their own "Once upon a midnight darkly" section, it would be the most awesome thing in the world! (really, I ran out of snow white characters for those, and I find it as one of the most enchanting sentences in CofD in general)

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                      Clan Disciplines: Celerity, Praestantia, Obfuscate
                      This would make them the only clan with a physical Discipline as their signature; I guess opinions will differ on whether that's enough of an issue to bother replacing it with something else.

If you do want to replace it... Maybe strip out the physicality of it, and focus on the part where you can roll for certain actions before deciding whether to do them, and make it a degree of precognition. Rather than breaking down secrets and barriers the way Auspex does, it become a heightened awareness of the vampire's own capabilities and effectiveness - or a heightened awareness of the circumstances. So it would probably be applicable to a wider range of actions, maybe any action (in that case, I'd say you have burn a Willpower before the roll to take advantage of the power). Would that be enough by itself, or would that be better as one power out of five?

Comment

saying the truth, I see little to no need to change the Akhud's disciplines. I mean, we already have a precedent with the Ventrue and the Gangrel sharing 2 out of 3 disciplines, and nobody bats an eye. Actually, when I've once written a Ventrue like lost clan, some people were actually mad that I've changed their core disciplines to be a bit more different (kept it this way. They were Ventrue like, not actually Ventrue). If all it it takes is for them and the Mekhet to have a potential common ancestor, I'll think about an interesting clan origin which starts at "9" and be over with it.

As for Praestantia as their Clan only Discipline- again, I see no problem with them having a unique, physical Discipline as their feature. It works for them, IMO, and I do have a strong dedication to source material. I just don't see the need to change Praestantia, and if it ain't broke...

On another note, I think I've realized about what would the Pijavicia be in Once Upon a Midnight Darkly- something dark and hidden, parasitic and consuming, something hidden in plain sight, product of evil magic and which devours everything it touch.

The Pijavicia are the apple.

I now blog in here

Comment

The apple is an interesting idea. Personally, I was going to have them be the three drops of blood Snow's mother dripped onto the snow when she was pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                            The apple is an interesting idea. Personally, I was going to have them be the three drops of blood Snow's mother dripped onto the snow when she was pregnant.
                            also sounds like a good idea. Whatever you feels right if/when you'll write them, I assume

anyway- tomorrow I should have some free time, so I hope I'll manage to finish at least most of the Ahranits' writeup.

I now blog in here

Comment

...How did I not realize that the 'Once in a midnight darkly' origins were all from the Snow White tale. I'm a little confused on the Daeva one because I don't remember any heart removal during the tale, but I see the snow-skinned princess does refer to Snow White.

Comment

Working...
                              X