Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampires hunter strategies

Hi all,

in my next game, tomorrow, I should let my PCs deal with an huge hunters clash. Because to a lot of trouble they get into someone move against them these hunters and they already had a little fight in the past nights but didn't took it as a real danger to keep in mind an now they organize (they are a big organization).
    Now I would like to let they face something really scary and dangerous but I also don't want, possibly, reduce everything to a fight.
    Can you provide me some cool advice to handle this? I thought about a net on fire above them between 2 rooftops, two fire lines at the starts and at the end of the alley caused by some flamable liquid like gasoline and something like 8-10 hunters.

Now, I don't have the hunters book so I'm asking you for some tips, also something more machiavellian.
    My PCs are pretty strong so its hard to provide physical deal with mortals (yes they could be divided).

I breifly describe them:

- Gangrel: Vigor and resilence 4, Clerity 1, Protean 4
    - Mekhet: Auspex 4, Celerity 1, Obfuscate 3, Dominate 2
    - Nosferatu: Nightmare 4, Animalism 4, Obfuscate 3

Thank you all.

Fight? Vampire hunters should never "fight" vampires. Vampires are helpless corpses in the day. Watch the movie "Entrance", that's what it should be like. Now picture it that all the non-antagonist characters are asleep in the final scene. That is what it should be like. Hit out of nowhere.

Why are the PC dealing with vampire hunters? If it is a consequence of ill advised feeding, one of the hunters is likely a love one of the victim and was recruited into a more vampire savvy hunter cell after realizing what happened to the person the vampire ate or enslaved. What would you do if you (or any nonpacifist) had no legal recourse to your love one being eaten/enslaved and the thing that did it was helpless 50 percent of the time? If the PCs have not heavily invested in daytime protection they should be toast, or at best wake up in a torture scene where they are being interrogated. This threat is so likely the established vampires that could get snitched on would be idiots to not "disappear" the discovered vampires. (Have the PCs staked by the other vampires and thier day servant for a decade or three to teach them a lesson and have the heat die down) Vampires that invest in mortal servants and secrecy > beat sticks, every time for these reasons.

"You wake up as you feel the stake slide out of your heart and realize your head is sticking out if a steel coffin with a hole for inserting a stake. You are on a roof top of a penthouse. You see the rest of Elysium there and your coterie mates in boxes like you. The skyline is familiar and different at the same time. You immediately wonder what happened to the city, and the wonder how long it has been since you went to daysleep. You hear the Prince's voice saying 'You're quite lucky that someone spoke up on your behalf, consider the missing score of years a warning.'"

Of course that assumes the other vampires know the PCs are hunted, but with Auspex sensing danger that isn't unlikely.

Assuming no other vampire intervention:
    If the PCs have daytime protection figure out how far the hunters get and that leaves three options: waking up to see the collateral damage, waking up in a torture scene, or being ashed.

DON'T FORGET THAT WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO PCs THEY GET BEATS AND EXPERIENCE!
    Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 03-11-2017, 02:06 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

On that note, if you want to ease the PCs into the concept of needing daytime security you can have an interested, protective vampire swipe them from their Havens "for their protection". Or just have the next time they awaken, their Haven is starting to catch fire - the hunters figured out the general area, and set fire to the building next door. Then set up a loose drag net to catch any vampire that flees.

Both depend upon where the PCs Havens are, though.

Vampire Hunters could also target their Touchstones, Contacts, and other points of influence.

If you wanted a big plot point, what about the Hunter Organization develops a kind of blood poison - it's mostly harmless in same doses, but becomes dangerous even to Kindred in higher concentrations. They begin dosing the neighborhoods under the guise of flu inoculation or a blood drive. It doesn't make people all that sick, but when vampires start feeding on multiple people, aggregating the toxin like mercury accumulating in a food chain... then it becomes an important issue.
      Last edited by Vent0; 03-11-2017, 02:16 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        On that note, if you want to ease the PCs into the concept of needing daytime security you can have an interested, protective vampire swipe them from their Havens "for their protection".
        If you were earlier in your story arc I'd stong recommend this. The severity of my suggestion was based on the deadline of next session and how far along that implies the story is.

If you want to be less "harsh" you can follow that suggestion and have them awake in a shipping warehouse in another city. The change of venue is the primary thing, and given they are ageless immortals travel into the future is likely less dangerous and holds better lessons than travel through space.

If it is an organization they likely have some members with the mentality of treating the opporation like a dispassionate extermination.

As a side note vampires and organized crime have many parallels, and how they'd think about potential leaks wouldn't be entirely different.
        Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 03-11-2017, 03:01 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes

Comment

If these guys are going to be pretty showy with fire lines and a flaming net why not just set fire to the players haven during the day? Ever see the James Wood classic "Vampires", granted the novel is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
            Hi all,

in my next game, tomorrow, I should let my PCs deal with an huge hunters clash. Because to a lot of trouble they get into someone move against them these hunters and they already had a little fight in the past nights but didn't took it as a real danger to keep in mind an now they organize (they are a big organization).
            Now I would like to let they face something really scary and dangerous but I also don't want, possibly, reduce everything to a fight.
            Can you provide me some cool advice to handle this? I thought about a net on fire above them between 2 rooftops, two fire lines at the starts and at the end of the alley caused by some flamable liquid like gasoline and something like 8-10 hunters.

Now, I don't have the hunters book so I'm asking you for some tips, also something more machiavellian.
            My PCs are pretty strong so its hard to provide physical deal with mortals (yes they could be divided).

I breifly describe them:

- Gangrel: Vigor and resilence 4, Clerity 1, Protean 4
            - Mekhet: Auspex 4, Celerity 1, Obfuscate 3, Dominate 2
            - Nosferatu: Nightmare 4, Animalism 4, Obfuscate 3

Thank you all.
            What did you end up running, and how did it go?

Comment

So, things complicated a lot for other reasons during the last game. A PCs plan was uncovered by an elder and he was impaled with a lot of aftermath for the other PCs too. So I decided to pospone this very big deal of hunter but I prepared better their future coming.

The point is:
              the gangrel always sleep with unmarked grave, so it should be fallowed during the night to be uncovered in his slumber point. And Anyway setting fire probably it's not a big deal. The hunters should directely damage the soil to let him get out but it's not a thing everyone should know.

The Mekhet was impaled so it's out for now.

The Nosferatu is the only one that slumbers in an heaven and could be reached during the day. I thought to alert him letting his ghouls spotting someone suspicious around his very isolated heaven. I want to give him a chance to consider better the gravity of the threat before to setting his heaven on fire, letting him probably die.

In this way I can think better to the whole thing because it's a new deal for me too.

The real problem is that these PCs make a lot of enemy and so little allies. In fact those hunters were pointed (indirectly) on them by another vampire of the city providing them evidences and informations.
              Last edited by Marcus; 03-13-2017, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Don't know if this would be any helpful at this point, I cross game with a friend of mine who runs vampire and we work together making stories and antagonist for our gamelines.

If you don't mind borrowing from another gameline and you want a more direct confrontation that doesn't involve collateral damage like burning buildings down(and depending on where you have the story set) you can always use Task Force: Valkyrie. They have a procedure that they are supposed to follow and might be more interested in capturing the PC's and putting them through the system than actually killing them. Men In Black staring at you as you awake on your haven saying "now think about what I could have done while you were asleep" can be a big deterrent to breaking the masquerade. They would have things like compound rounds that would deal lethal damage to vampires(something they are not used to) access to weaponry like white phosphorous grenades, they have Glepnir restraints to hold super strong beings on check, the Bleeder and the VDSB and even HOD rounds(though I'd prefer the Homebrew Phosphorus Rounds). Combined with tactics like Corral, Net, Staking, Dentistry and the like they could be a force to be reckoned with. Again, they wouldn't necessarily be out to kill the PC's, maybe just scare them straight. TfV wants to keep the masquerade as much as the vampires do.

If Conspiracies are a bit much the Union could be a good antagonist. The Union isn't much more than the other mortals that live in the city, but they do have a better idea of hunting vampires than some and they have the benefit of shared resources. Kill or incapacitate one cell and another might be sent to investigate. Of course their weakness is that they lack the protection from vampires messing with mortal politics or their banks or what have you. The Union can help but it diverts resources.

The Barret Commission on the other hand lack the raw manpower but mess with vampires by screwing with their politics, taking over their havens, suing and foreclosing on a vampire's touchstones etc. if you want to avoid direct confrontation you could say that some power broker is muscling in on the vampire's territory, gentrifying it and making it less suitable to hunt. There's more activity and attention around the local haunts(not the Nosferatu) and the cops are demanding more in bribes to keep them off your back because they are getting paid by someone else to serve as informants.

Comment

Really helpfull. Thank you

Comment

Alternatives to fights and initiative roll includes attracting vampires to a building, such as maybe a known vampire hunting ground, like say, a night-club. Triggering a fire and then sealing the exits. Sure, the hunters will be labeled terrorists if they aren't say, a government agency capable of false-flag ops *cough*TF:V*cough* but given your character's high degree of Resilience and Vigor and low degree of Celerity, it'll be enough to put the fear of the reaper in them.

Comment

Working...
                    X