Books updated to 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books updated to 2nd Edition

Just curious if anyone has a list of books that have been updated for 2nd edition. I'm OCD about "outdated" material. lol

CofD core, VtR 2e, and Secrets of the Covenants are the only 2e books for Vampire.

They don't seem to be really updating books so much as just doing new ones with the new rules.

Comment

1st Edition books don't get updated to 2nd Edition, though books written for 2nd Edition might cover similar ground to 1st Edition books. Currently, the only 2nd Edition books are the core book and Secrets of the Covenants, though the system for improvised rituals in Blood Sorcery is the same system used by 2nd Edition, save some minor tweaks mentioned in the 2e core book, so it's 2nd Edition in all but name. The Clan books are 90% fluff, and that fluff is still valid, which is why they appear in the 2nd Edition core book's recommended reading list.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Also "Requiem for Regina" in Dark Eras is up to date for 2e. I don't know if they've released that separately yet. A Thousand Years of Night (book about Elders) will be 2e, and that's almost done, but not out just yet. The Julii will reappear in that (!!!) according to Rose.

Comment

Half Damned is now moved into second draft.

Comment

I believe that Blood Sorcery was written while 2e was bing developed, and is largely compatible. It's systems were even meantioned in Secrets of the Covanents.

CofD booklists:
            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean

Comment

how well do threnodys fit in 2nd edition? wondered quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                how well do threnodys fit in 2nd edition? wondered quite a bit.
                Personally I never cared for them even in 1st Edition.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

They help explain how Theban sorcery, and Cruac evolved if one doesnt buy the "gifts of the gods" explanation

Comment

I finally went ahead and bought Blood Sorcery: Sacraments and Blasphemies, because I've heard it mentioned so much, and I'm a fan of Mage and its freeform magic system, but I worry that it makes being Lance or Crone a little...too good? Instead of 1 fancy new discipline each for their Covenant membership, they get five. (Though I suppose the same argument could be made regarding the Ordo Dracul and their three mysteries.)

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
                      I finally went ahead and bought Blood Sorcery: Sacraments and Blasphemies, because I've heard it mentioned so much, and I'm a fan of Mage and its freeform magic system, but I worry that it makes being Lance or Crone a little...too good? Instead of 1 fancy new discipline each for their Covenant membership, they get five. (Though I suppose the same argument could be made regarding the Ordo Dracul and their three mysteries.)
                      It is very strong if you run it with 2e's tweaks like the longer casting intervals and the subject knowing they're being targeted. Downright broken if you run it as-written without the 2e tweaks. And personally, I prefer to use it as guidelines for designing new rituals, rather than allowing player characters to buy dots in Themes and improvise rituals.

I know not a lot of folks agree with me on this, but I do still think it might be fun to update the improvised rituals system to work a bit more like Mage 2e's casting system - it already closely models Mage 1e's casting system, and 2e's is so much more streamlined. Then again I'm the type that kind of hates extended actions.
                      Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                        I know not a lot of folks agree with me on this, but I do still think it might be fun to update the improvised rituals system to work a bit more like Mage 2e's casting system - it already closely models Mage 1e's casting system, and 2e's is so much more streamlined. Then again I'm the type that kind of hates extended actions.
                        You mean with Reach and +1 = -2 scaling for Duration, Potency and so forth?

Comment

Reach doesn't make much sense without paradox. I asume she means making magic just one roll even if ritual

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Makes sense. There's even a precedent to use a single roll, in the form of the optional Inherent Ritual Power that the Childer of the Morrigan has. Of course, in their case the action is also instant instead of taking time like a true ritual.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                              You mean with Reach and +1 = -2 scaling for Duration, Potency and so forth?
                              More or less. Obviously Reach doesn't make sense without Paradox, but the idea is to make it a single roll, maybe with a fixed "ritual cast time" based on dots in the Discipline or maybe based on Blood Potency.

Actually, I could see making Reach options (such as switching to Advanced Factors) could increase the Vitae cost by 1. After all, at low Gnosis 1 Reach beyond your free limit = 1 Paradox Die, and 1 Mana can remove 1 Paradox die. I'm not totally sold on that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X