Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books updated to 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Actually, I could see making Reach options (such as switching to Advanced Factors) could increase the Vitae cost by 1.
    That is what I was thinking. It's a greater investment, without the risk of Paradox, this not being Supernal magic and all.

    Comment


    • #17
      Is there really a reason to limit this things? It's not that vampires could not use some power bump.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        More or less. Obviously Reach doesn't make sense without Paradox, but the idea is to make it a single roll, maybe with a fixed "ritual cast time" based on dots in the Discipline or maybe based on Blood Potency.

        Actually, I could see making Reach options (such as switching to Advanced Factors) could increase the Vitae cost by 1. After all, at low Gnosis 1 Reach beyond your free limit = 1 Paradox Die, and 1 Mana can remove 1 Paradox die. I'm not totally sold on that though.
        How would you deal with the increasing difficulty of rituals? The extended action uses target numbers while mages has less free Reach for higher dot spells.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Orzhov View Post
          Is there really a reason to limit this things? It's not that vampires could not use some power bump.
          It's not about giving vampires a power bump in crossover games, it's about giving only some vampires a power bump in vampire games. You make sorcerers hugely powerful, leaving your social and physical characters in the dumps.

          Comment


          • #20
            It might be familiarity bias, but I like the idea that vampires are stuck with rigid rituals. That's not to say they shouldn't be able to come up with new rituals or that existing rituals can't have local variations, but every ritual does one thing and you'd have to find or come up with a new ritual if you want to do another thing.

            Edit: My interest in this thread comes from the possibility of condensing the extended action into a single roll à la supernal magic. There's a use for extended actions, but I don't think the ritual disciplines gain anything from it.
            Last edited by Tessie; 03-21-2017, 07:07 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Blah double post

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
                It's not about giving vampires a power bump in crossover games, it's about giving only some vampires a power bump in vampire games. You make sorcerers hugely powerful, leaving your social and physical characters in the dumps.
                I don't see a problem with that. Vampires don't have to be equal among themselves. Also it is more of a matter of reworking things like carthian law and oaths to something more akin to blood sorcery

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                  How would you deal with the increasing difficulty of rituals? The extended action uses target numbers while mages has less free Reach for higher dot spells.
                  Well, increasing Factors would give -2 on the roll instead of an increased target number. You could also do free Vitae expenditures just like Mages get free Reach - one for each dot in the Theme or ritual Discipline by which you meet or exceed the ritual's dot level.


                  Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                  My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    A second edition Blood Sorcery book is at the top of my wishlist, because I absolutely hate how it works in either the corebook of the 1e Blood Sorcery book.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Oh, I forgot to reply to this thread.

                      Charlaquin: I was thinking about narrative effects, though. What about Eye of the Norn (CotC:208), a four dot ritual where scale, potency, range, etc doesn't do much. Only duration could have an effect, but you wouldn't need more than a few turns unless you're planning on drawing what you see

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        Oh, I forgot to reply to this thread.

                        Charlaquin: I was thinking about narrative effects, though. What about Eye of the Norn (CotC:208), a four dot ritual where scale, potency, range, etc doesn't do much. Only duration could have an effect, but you wouldn't need more than a few turns unless you're planning on drawing what you see
                        I don't really see that being more of a problem then it already is - such effects would have pretty low target numbers in the current system as well.


                        Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                        My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X