Poaching.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poaching.

How have you handled it, what role does it play in your game.

ideas for tactics by poachers, or kindred trying to catch them?

Depends on who's being poached. Some are violent and aggressive about it, others have gone the political route and gotten punishments exacted through connections.

The best tactic is probably not being seen or being a easy scapegoat. If your neighbors don't like you and can't figure out who's poaching, they might decide to blame you.

Comment

oh curious? ideas how to create a portable branding iron

Comment

Engrave whatever design you want for the brand on a fireplace poker. You won't even need to impale the victim to leave a distinctive design, just roll the heated poker head across their flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
          How have you handled it, what role does it play in your game.

ideas for tactics by poachers, or kindred trying to catch them?
          Honestly? Not much. It didn't really come up a lot in 1e, and with 2e's Lex Terrae, its even less of a thing.

I tended towards using stuff out of the Night Horrors book instead. You have rival non-Kindred vampires running around. Not only do they slip past Lex Terrae, but they present a kind of challenge and question to the social order of the All Night Society.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
            Honestly? Not much. It didn't really come up a lot in 1e, and with 2e's Lex Terrae, its even less of a thing.

I tended towards using stuff out of the Night Horrors book instead. You have rival non-Kindred vampires running around. Not only do they slip past Lex Terrae, but they present a kind of challenge and question to the social order of the All Night Society.
            ‚ÄčTo be fair, not every Kindred is going to have Lex Terrae. When I play I typically do a bit of investigation among the patrons of my feeding grounds, and start comparing my mental notes to other Kindred. If I find someone who matches, I either call someone who has Auspex and owes me a favor, or I use Auspex myself.

Comment

Every Kindred? No. Every cotorie, especially established ones? The numbers go up. There's a -reason- why most Invictus-ruled domains allow Carthians to stick around instead of purging them. They're useful.

Of course, your games may vary, but I generally let my NPCs be just paranoid and cut throat and protective as the PC group. Especially when the PCs are the new kids around the block.

Comment

oh curious? ideas how to create a portable branding iron

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                  Every Kindred? No. Every cotorie, especially established ones? The numbers go up. There's a -reason- why most Invictus-ruled domains allow Carthians to stick around instead of purging them. They're useful.

Of course, your games may vary, but I generally let my NPCs be just paranoid and cut throat and protective as the PC group. Especially when the PCs are the new kids around the block.
                  Honestly I've played more than a few games where no one played a Carthian, and while it's true that other coteries might have it that doesn't mean they will. I'd find it a bit boring to just rely on that method honestly, but that's probably just me.

Comment

I do confess, I had to look Lex Terrae up.

I think that saying "Poaching ceases to exist becausee of one carthian law" is daft

and makes carthian law seem broken

Comment

I do confess, I had to look Lex Terrae up.

I think that saying "Poaching ceases to exist becausee of one carthian law" is daft

and makes carthian law seem broken
                      Imagine what's going to happen to the Carthian who uses that power on someone in territory that he is trying to usurp and has no legal claim to hunt there, or forgets to designate the liege who granted him the feeding ground, the prince, or another kindred with authority to hunt there as authorized to do so.

Comment

It's the type of thing that would work best in a strongly Carthian domain, or where the Carthians are making an aggressive stance. It keeps other vampires out, or reinforces Carthian decree.

In a domain where the Carthians aren't the dominant force, or worse a weak one, it's basically telling everyone where to hit you if they want to hurt you, as it must be publicly declared.

It's not the kind of thing that should end all poaching whatsoever, except in a domain where everyone is Carthian or allies of them. It hasn't come up in mine, but I suppose it comes up in some peoples, and that's okay for them.

Comment

reason I brought branding Irons up...they seem like a valid way to assert dominance over poachers.

Comment

In my chronicle I told the players the rule of the realm was simple, don't get caught. Even if a poacher is later identified, or even caught in the act, bringing them before the Prince and proving it (or convincing him he wants to punish them) is a whole other matter.
                            ‚ÄčNormally the matter is settled by taking the law into your own hands...and not getting caught.
                            I just don't see Vampires as the law abiding sort.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                              In my chronicle I told the players the rule of the realm was simple, don't get caught. Even if a poacher is later identified, or even caught in the act, bringing them before the Prince and proving it (or convincing him he wants to punish them) is a whole other matter.
                              ‚ÄčNormally the matter is settled by taking the law into your own hands...and not getting caught.
                              I just don't see Vampires as the law abiding sort.
                              oh the (non-Carthian) law has its place. It's a tool to be used to corner people and punish people who get caught. But don't get caught.

Comment

Working...
                              X