No announcement yet.

Poaching.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i prefer to poach when possible, the herd is for when I'm desperate. Vampires who poach my hunting grounds usually find that someone gave a group of Hunters an Anonymous tip.

Comment

I'm a bit meaner and so is another in our group. If someone poached I'd decapitate them. All the more tragic if they can't heal the lethal that incurs, or deal with the penalties of sensory deprivation. (or the masquerade breach of wandering around headless for 5 or 6 night if they don't have Obfuscate). Besides they could just heal the branding iron too, this has a more lasting consequence that will make them think twice and if you limit to when people demonstrably poach then your fine.

Knowing you can stand your ground to any truth ritual/oath/sorcery/auspex when they ask you what proof you have and you say you caught him red handed can be a pretty strong defense, imo.

Look at it this way. Some hound or whatever pops out and asks you why you hit the guy, they know it's you blah blah blah. You turn around and tell him "I state truthfully that I had caught him redhanded, and so mete out punishment." and it's not a perfect defense but if you're telling the truth you're not likely to be persecuted, not without revealing secrets they may not wish to reveal should you be blissfully unaware of Dominate's higher dots. On the other end of the spectrum, even if he was daft enough to report the violence he'd have to admit to poaching in the first place once they have my (mostly) irrefutable claim (since they can check if I've been dominated.) If it turns out the guy WAS dominated, they might give me some shit for it but I won't be Torpored or Final Death'd over it, and likewise they'll just take it "the guys issue" since he was stupid enough to get Dominated.
      Last edited by Arduras; 03-16-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arduras View Post
        I'm a bit meaner and so is another in our group. If someone poached I'd decapitate them. All the more tragic if they can't heal the lethal that incurs, or deal with the penalties of sensory deprivation. (or the masquerade breach of wandering around headless for 5 or 6 night if they don't have Obfuscate).
        Vampires can survive decapitation? How?

Comment

If a chop would logically decapitate a vampire but the damage isn't enough to kill it the vampire survives since the only organ a vampire technically needs is the heart.

Edit: See Resilience. It even states that a vampire can lose limbs despite reducing or even nullifying the damage sustained when the limb was lost.
          Last edited by Tessie; 03-16-2017, 07:09 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Geez, that's something new I learned today. I always thought the two ways to kill a vampire was to decapitate or burn it.

Comment

There's an ability among the Brood that allows them to separate body parts, including their head, then move them around.

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
                Geez, that's something new I learned today. I always thought the two ways to kill a vampire was to decapitate or burn it.
                I believe decapitation is the most common in the old folk lore. And I would not be surprised if most groups consider decapitation to fall under the chunky salsa rule.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I mean, I would consider decapitating a vampire as instant death. If you don't deal enough damage to fully kill it, then you didn't behead it all the way.

But if somebody ruled that you could totally decapitate a vampire and its head would just...reform from the blood...(yeegh) then I would not be the first to argue it. I'd consider it one of those things mentioned in Hurt Locker like when the folklore leads you to believe that something will help you, but the folklore was wrong. But I wouldn't do it, personally. It feels weird to me.

Comment

You have to have 5 successes to remove a limb through damage, after which they suffer logical impairments. Typically Lethal or Aggravated, at least in 2E they can heal and generate new heads/legs/arms by healing the 5+weapon damage. Meaning for an elder it's hardly a set back, but for anyone up to BP 6 or 7 or so it can be a pretty decent setback and if you try to retaliate you'll be at the disadvantage.

Comment

Where are you getting these numbers? 5 successes to remove a limb? That doesn't fit anything I've seen in 2e, though that is what you need (after a -3 penalty) to stake a vampire. You can look at arm/leg wrack, and they give numbers for permanently losing use of a limb, which I would allow to fluff as losing it, but it isn't 5 successes. For arms and legs, it's an aimed blow (-2 dice) that does more damage than your stamina. Aggravated makes you lose use permanently.

And here's what the book says about healing lost limbs:

Vitae can force her injured body to reconstruct,
                      mending bones and knitting torn flesh in seconds. In dramatic
                      instances, severed limbs regenerate or even simply reattach (if
                      she’s able to heal the entire injury in a turn).

Comment

It would seem my group is doing something either wrong, or is houseruling limb detachment as per staking rules for Kindred. I'll double check with them.
                        It seems odd you have to do Aggravated to remove a limb, anything with a blade could reasonably sever a limb and it's rare to do Aggravated even to mortals.
                        Last edited by Arduras; 03-17-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

A clinical amputation might only require lethal damage above Stamina (or a set number determined by the limb), but most combat situations don't allow for that kind of incisions. That's how some of us reasoned the last time this topic came up. There's simply no hard rules for detaching limbs. The closest I know of is what Maina quoted.

Comment

I have a feeling no matter how I present this to my group, they won't accept that aggravated is required to remove a limb. The example given being an axe hacking someone's arm in a fight. I disagree that it would cut off the limb unless the target is restrained (or retarded) but alas :/

I think the house rule for now is lethal to remove limbs for kindred, since that would be aggravated for a mortal which is where the source for the wrack is written.
                            If you have a link for the topic this was brought up in the past I'd like to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arduras View Post
                              I think the house rule for now is lethal to remove limbs for kindred, since that would be aggravated for a mortal which is where the source for the wrack is written.
                              If you have a link for the topic this was brought up in the past I'd like to read it.
                              That's what I meant. The damage itself is still aggravated even if the damage noted on the sheet would be lethal (if any damage at all if the vampire has enough Resilience).
                              The structural damage a vampire takes when noting lethal on the sheet corresponds to the structural damage a mortal would take from aggravated. The difference is that vampires can take a whole lot more of that kind of damage since they have little need of internal organs.

I don't remember which thread so it'll be just as easy or hard for you to just search unless someone else remembers.

Comment

ideas what a sire could do on their childes behalf if their caught

As a fledgling has little political clout to protect them

Comment

Working...
                                X