Blood Sorcery Style Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Sorcery Style Merits

Has anyone put together any homebrew Cruac Style Merits? I really like the ones that were presented in Secrets of the Covenants, and I am thinking of making some Styles of my own once I've figured out what I want to evoke. On a semi-related note, what are your thoughts on Theban Sorcery boasting a few Style Merits of their own? Is it applicable or not?

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Derived from the Nightmare Plague Dread Power.

Veil of Nightmares (o to ooooo, Cruac Style)
    Prerequisites: Cruac o
    Effect: Your Cruac is a catalyst for dark and terrible dreams. Whenever it is invoked, they plague the minds of nearby sleepers. All characters sleeping within a radius of 20 yards (meters) per level of Magnitude must make a Resolve + Composure at a penalty equal to your dots in Cruac. On a failure, they do not regain any Willpower.

If you spend a Willpower point, the nightmares birthed by your sorcery leave further strain on their victims. Characters who fail the roll lose a point of Willpower and gain the Paranoid Condition. At the same time, you regain Willpower up to your dots in Cruac if you score an exceptional success in the ritual.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 03-15-2017, 09:43 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Theban Styles:
      * Scion of Ra
      * Dark Angel
      * Necromancy
      * Gilded Cage

Additional Cruac Style:
      * Shaman
      * Bloody Snake

Yeah, not a lot of details for these. Basically, here's my thoughts that I haven't quite put down into mechanics. Theban has quite an interesting history. It started off as Egyptian style magic for the cult of Ra. Then, I don't remember what, but the Ra-ites died out mostly died out, and some Lance cracked open the secrets to Theban, and it spread again. Some Ventrue Lance woke up with visions of ley lines and adapted Theban to control a city. We have at least three necromancer Mehket bloodlines, probably harking back to the Giovanni of WoD and their connection to the church. Each of these little branches make up one of the different styles.

Cruac's three styles follow something similiar, but not quite. Unbridled Chaos, for instance, basically embodies the Cult of Set, as described in the Mehket clanbook. It even basically merges two of the settite rituals into its power. Primal Creation is the basic Cruac / Circle of the Crone philosophy of growth and creation for vampires, and reflects the few plant-style magics and bloodlines we have. And Opening the Void? The disciples of the void was a CotC faction, so here we are again.

In the same vein, "Shaman" as a Cruac style is influenced by a mix of Voodoo (as per Ancient Mysteries) and Kigan (per David Hill's tokyo vampire magic) as well as a touch of Veneficia. Yes, I need a better name, but this is a decent hack to start with. The idea being you're channeling gods directly instead of your Beast. Meanwhile, we get the Bloody Snake style, which is kind of a focus on controlling and manipluating vitae directly. A bit of copying vitae lash, yes, but also some of the blood control powers from Belial's Brood as well as tying into some Gorgon-themed abilities. This is a combination of the Sipan and Semiotician factions - studying Vitae and using it as a weapon or a poison.

Before anyone asks, no, I don't think Lithopedia should be a Cruac style. Its basically been absorbed by Animalism and Wyrm Nest abilities as far as I'm concerend, and really should be an extension of Scales and Coil and Wyrm Nest merits. Especially Voivode.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
        Theban has quite an interesting history. It started off as Egyptian style magic for the cult of Ra. Then, I don't remember what, but the Ra-ites died out mostly died out, and some Lance cracked open the secrets to Theban, and it spread again. Some Ventrue Lance woke up with visions of ley lines and adapted Theban to control a city. We have at least three necromancer Mehket bloodlines, probably harking back to the Giovanni of WoD and their connection to the church. Each of these little branches make up one of the different styles.
        Is that true? I always thought the history was that Theban Sorcery was connected to the miracles in Exodus (which presumably took place in Thebes, the capital of Egypt) and the angel Amoniel revealed those secrets to the Black Saint Daniel, who used them to block out the sun to avenge the Lancea et Sanctum against the Camarilla.

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
          Is that true? I always thought the history was that Theban Sorcery was connected to the miracles in Exodus (which presumably took place in Thebes, the capital of Egypt) and the angel Amoniel revealed those secrets to the Black Saint Daniel, who used them to block out the sun to avenge the Lancea et Sanctum against the Camarilla.
          Nah, it's older than that, as MCN says. I forget which book talked about its Egyptian origins and the cult of Ra, probably Ancient Mysteries.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Yep. Last chapter of Ancient Mysteries and Ancient Bloodlines does a bit about vampires in Egypt. I forget the reason, but all the cults but Set's eventually died out, save for the occasional awakened elder who's pissed at the Lance "corrupting" their magics. Anwyays, knowlege of Theban died out, and it wasn't until the angel Amoniel revealed the secrets to all the surviving vampire Apostles by cracking open an old sealed place of some kind (buried tomb? abandoned temple?) and showing them all the miracles carved into the walls. There's even several egyptian themed miracles in the original Lance covenant book to hint at the sorcery's origins.

That's the thing with the Lance. They're the keepers of vampire history and lore. And they're more than adapt at changing details when it suits them. Revisionist history is a thing, so its no surprise that the origins of Theban are lost to time. Unlike the Circle which (theoretically) embraces diversity, the Lance is generally a conservative faction that pushes for idealogical purity. That tends to push non-traditional styles to the fringes and labels them as heresies. We could probably take that Plege to the Worthless One and turn that into a Style too, as well as the Livian Heresy with its affinity for Cruac.

Just imagine it. Secret vaults full of hidden Theban rituals and notes on Theban styles hidden away in vaults so that only the "worthy" can find them, and the worthy are those who've basically trusted fanatics who keep all this hidden information sealed. Then, you find the occasional elder who figures something else out, or remembers the truth versus what the Lance teaches.

Comment

Hmm. Here's a thought.

How would a Merit that allows you to roll a Blood Sorcery ritual every turn work out? In the House Rule version I have, all blood sorcerers can do it by default, but it inflicts a penalty equal to the ritual's dot rating. As a Merit, though, perhaps it could scale from o to ooooo?

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
              X