A Coil for Physical Intensity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arduras View Post
    Physical Intensity is a short burst (it only applies to 1 roll usually, not even lasting the turn) and it feels like a rush of burning for a moment as you exert yourself.
    It applies to all rolls using the chosen Attribute during the turn. It's just that you rarely get to roll more than once each turn. Generally only if you manage to achieve an Exceptional when grappling so you can take a second grappling action, or when increasing Stamina (for breaking stuff with a Strength+Stamina roll) and being able to contest a power by using Stamina.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

It applies to all rolls using the chosen Attribute during the turn. It's just that you rarely get to roll more than once each turn. Generally only if you manage to achieve an Exceptional when grappling so you can take a second grappling action, or when increasing Stamina (for breaking stuff with a Strength+Stamina roll) and being able to contest a power by using Stamina.
      Which is fine, but thematically it's a "short burst" of power, where the physical disciplines expand for more lasting and varied effects - which is why it doesn't typically apply to things like Lashing Out.

Comment

Quibble: An Exceptional Success on grappling lets you pick another Move. No additional roll happens.

Also, I don't see how forcing an inhuman "adrenaline surge" (i.e., boosting Speed or Defense) doesn't fit with the short burst of power aesthetic. Though I do see that I forgot to mention "for one turn" in there...

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

It'd be better to just say "Intensity now affects derived traits" imo. Which would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Arduras View Post

● You can use Physical Intensity as many times as you have dots in this coil per turn without affecting your per-turn vitae limit.
            ●● Physical Intensity now increases derived traits for the turn it's used.
            ●●● When you use Intensity, it now gives you coil dots extra instead of +2.
            ●●●● When you roll an exceptional success with Physical Intensity, you may take the Ecstatic condition. Once per scene, this awards one willpower.
            ●●●●● You may use Intensity with any attribute.
            At five dots, with blood potency 10, this would allow you to add 100 dice to any action for 20 vitae.

That's insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post

At five dots, with blood potency 10, this would allow you to add 100 dice to any action for 20 vitae.

That's insane.
              I mean, anybody with 10 BP is insane ^^"
              That being said, nobody's going to want to roll that many dice, and at least in my group, no one's going to want to use that much vitae. If you want to come up with a better 5th dot power though, be my guest ^^"
              One I'd like is spending WP to extend Physical Intensity for turns equal to coil dots or something similar.
              Likewise - when suffering a condition (Bestial, Competitive, or Wanton) double the duration/number of times Intensity can be used as per the first two dots. The use on any attribute will likely become a scale that can only be used for a night at a time.

Here's an updated draft, cutting out the bonus = coil dots effect:

Violent Proponent
              For the benefits of Intensity, having to sacrifice all other options to use it is a curse in the mouth of a gift. At this level you've begun studying your bones and making progress. By storing vitae in your bones, ready to surge forth, you can reserve your other options.

You can use Physical Intensity a number of times up to your dots in this coil per turn, without counting towards your per turn vitae limit.

●● Lasting Impact
              Repeated experiments on bones and how vitae interact with them uncover this level of expertise - able to force some measure of will into your bone marrow, it can sustain intensity for a short while.

With a Willpower, you can extend Intensity to last a number of turns equal to your dots in this coil. (total, not in addition to 1 turn.)

●●● Primal Repudiation
              Only so much can be done with bones, now we move on to the mind. When suffering from Bestial, Competitive, or Wanton both the mind and body suffer together - that suffering is now stoked into cruel or spiteful efficiency.

When suffering from Bestial, Competitive, or Wanton, your dots in this coil count as double for the purposes of the first two dots.

●●●● Feral Ascendancy
              Through intense therapy involving pain and arcane ingredients you've overcome the blood brain barrier, your blood now empowers you beyond what you thought capable before thanks to your research into how vitae interacts with the brain.

Intensity now affects derived traits.

●●●●● Philosopher's Revenge

(9 agains, 8 agains with an additional vitae, ran out of time to time this morning.)
              Last edited by Arduras; 05-23-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X